Am I the only one who sees Potential with W10M???

feereless

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
My Lumia 950 XL has its fair share of bugs, but am I the only one who sees the potential in this device and OS??

switching between apps is VERY quick. Camera is beautiful. OS is pretty. Keyboard is perfect. The phone doesn't get hot (your mileage may vary)... Call quality is great..

Try using your samsung phone and going from whatever app to the home screen. it takes a second or 2... w10m is almost instant. lets be positive about w10m and these devices. They are great, just need some TLC, and time....

Post your thoughts...

occamsmonkey

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Oh, absolutely not. If I didn't think there was potential, I wouldn't have bought it. The problem is that right now the killer features are almost completely potential. And a lot of the older functionality is gone. There's a lot of change shock going on right now, but I'm loving a lot of the features in WP10 and - provided potential is realized and doesn't evaporate to meet a Q2 line item - look forward to what the OS will become. There are a few things that are really hard to work around though. Not having a data migration strategy for loyal customers is pretty lame. My phone was useless when I restored from my WP8.1 device. I had to do a clean install to get it to a useful state. That's a really jagged pill. But yes, overall I do think the OS has potential. And critique/feedback is absolutely needed to help them realize it.

feereless

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
It just seems a lot of people bought the phones and are returning them and jumping ship over bugs. bugs can be fixed people...
the app gap will **hopefully** be solved with time so that more people are likely to switch. Msft will keep fixing and adding new features. an update will likely be early next week.

Marsiss Tian

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
If they can fix LinkedIn sync contacts bug, I can love my phone more.:winktongue:
Actually I'm kinda stick to WP for quite long, and it's harder for me to jump to android or ios.
Hope sales figures of 950 and 950xl is not bad to gain more attention from MS, then we can get more apps, less bugs and painless experiences.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Nope, it always had potential. The problem is due to silliness and windows phone has always been up then down and vice a versa.

The 950 and XL have been over due for a long while.

People are skeptical and who can blame them, we have had Wp 7, 7.5, 7.8, 8, 8.1, and now 10. Through each iteration things that drew people to the platform have been lost or diluted.

Furthermore if you paid half a grand for a phone, you would not expect any bugs. It has to be near faultless, these are the heavy hitters that earn you the most profit and the priceless marketing - the word of mouth.

The 950 and 950 XL have sooo much potential. For instance both support displayport over usb, usb host, removable batteries which allow for bigger batteries (mugen for example), support of 2tb msd cards and so on.

But as I said it has to be a pristine experience. Once people get pushed off a flagship phone it is not easy to get them back. Especially since they have alot more other options out there.

Having said that, use what best suits your needs. Windows phone suits me fine, my blackberry, ios, android and Symbian days are long behind me.

I personally will be using WM10 for the foreseeable future. Not because I'm an avid fan boy, it just suits my needs for the time being. The moment it stops I'll be looking for something else.

tpesa

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
The loudest voices on the internet are usually the most negative. It's just that way sometimes. And, unfortunately, with this site it has turned a bit "nego".. But, that's ok, it's all good info no matter what. I love my 950XL and I've had lots of phones. Early windows phones, android phones, all the iterations of later windows phones. You name it. And this phone is great.

DrPuppy

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
No, you're not the only one.

Other people are less optimistic about the 950 series and WM10, but Microsoft's move here wasn't to gain market share. It's because some of us have been wanting an upgrade to our phones for quite some time. It's a nice phone, to be sure, but it's definitely a stop-gap; hence, "for the fans". There isn't anything wrong with that, and it's better than waiting a year longer for a new phone for some of us.

I think this is the way it went down:
They had issues with Nokia in terms of design / merging and Elop leaves the company.
The long cycle between updates meant they had to toss designs on older processes.
They couldn't afford to not put out a WM10 phone for us fans (we didn't want to wait another year...)
They put together a phone with more up to date parts, possibly cannibalizing a phone whose design wasn't worked out yet.
They put it in a plastic and modest design, as they really didn't have the time to design something else before WM10 release.

Sure, some might jump ship. I was contemplating a LG V10 the other day...but I couldn't bring myself to buy it. I feel like the other OSes are riding a wave of "sameness", in part due to their success. WM10 adds some diversity to the phone ecosystem, and is actually trying something different.

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I honestly thought this way before I bought the Lumia 950XL. I couldn't see much more than a improvement and continuum. Now after using the device I see a lot more potential. There isn't a "resuming..." screen. It's snappier than any other phone I've used and the camera is breathtaking. I thought it was just going to be another small upgrade, but I was wrong.

It does have some bugs with the alarm clock running slow and 1 camera app crash, but I haven't had any major problems and the battery has been excellent compared to the Asus Zenfone 2 which was pretty bad.

JRDEMASKUS

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I traded out the 1520 for a Note 3 in July. I also had a Nexus 5, but my kid got that, then smashed it! Performance was equal.
I sold the Note 3 ($250)a couple weeks ago to justify the 950 XL.
The next day I bought a Note 4 ($200) for my wife. She "Upgraded" from a Nokia 820. For her, the "App Gap" was a problem.

For the past couple weeks I have been switching between my spare Nokia 635 and Her 820. The 635 was just a little better. Neither could do much more than keep me in touch, and inconsistently deliver music over BT.
I got used to using my Android tablet at home, and my Lynux laptop for my home Office work.
The PC hasn't been touched in months, other than to migrate contacts from Android to Windows. (BTW: Windows plays nice, Android made it hard)

The potential I see is for the 950 XL to replace all of my devices.

However, For the first couple of days, I was not impressed with the 950 XL, over the 635.
BT music has more connection dropout, remained buggy in resuming play, and text to voice had to be setup vs working out of the box.
The device has been hesitant enough that I am not sure if it saw the button press.
The navigation bar keeps disappearing, and is buggy when it is there.

Do OS updates come like Nexus if you bought the unlocked device from MS?

I do not yet have the dock, and am still more "comfortable" on the tablet's 7" screen. A monitor should trump that!

I like the cursor control on the keyboard, but have not yet mastered it.

I will be more comfortable after the device is in a more robust case. LifeProof type, something sealed, water proof ish, dirt, dust, and crush resistant, that will fit in my pants pocket.
I Never used the otterbox on my belt, it was always clipped inside my pocket, but still let in too much dirt.

Hoping the updates come quick.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo