05-13-2016 02:58 PM
105 12345
tools
    Bummer, I bought one of those as well during a sale. Have not been able to try it out yet, but sounds like it is back to the drawing board for a car mount. Let me know if you find one that works.
    probably bought it in the same sale i did!
    like i said - cant be sure if i got a bad one or not - so would be interested in seeing if yours works...
    12-16-2015 11:41 AM
    Originally Posted by ale_ers Bummer, I bought one of those as well during a sale. Have not been able to try it out yet, but sounds like it is back to the drawing board for a car mount. Let me know if you find one that works.
    I'll let you know how Nokia's 201 car charger car mount works when it arrives. You can buy it at the Microsoft store search: Nokia Wireless Charging Car Holder. Supposed to support Qi and NFC and it has reviews saying it works well on the 1520. Made originally for Lumias so one would assume it works with the 950/XL.

***After finding the thread that directly talks about the Nokia wireless charging car holder i cancelled the order. I'm now ordering the Wireless Car Charger-CHOE Wireless Charging Dock with 3 Coils Charging Area for Lumia 950xl/950, Galaxy Note 5/S6/S6 Edge/S6 Edge+ and Other Qi-Enabled Phones
    Last edited by Duskmourn; 12-16-2015 at 05:40 PM. Reason: changed my mind about the purchase
    12-16-2015 01:03 PM
    Sorry to bring bad news but that charger will not work with Lumia 950!

I have the Nokia 201 charger - had it for a couple of years together with my old Lumia 920. Worked ok.

So I got my new Lumia 950 yesterday and tried it in the car charger. The phone went on and off all the time. Every time the phone lit up in the holder (about every 5 seconds) it gave the charging beep on its speakers.
    So i took of the back case of the phone and looked at the QI charger coils. They were in the middle of the case. And that puts them at the top of the car charger - halfway out of the charging pad! So I tried to put the phone in the charger without the back case. The phone did of course not get charged - but the erratic on/off behaviour it had before disappeared. So I am pretty sure that the placement of the charging coils together with the Nokia 201 car charger makes charging erratic and practically impossible :-(

I cant believe that those Clowns at Microsoft didnt think to test this. there is plenty of space on the back cover to put the coils further down and make them align with the car charger . Or have dual coils, on in the middle and one further down.

So now I have to go looking for a new car charger with Qi coils a bit higher than Nokia 201.
    12-17-2015 05:45 AM
    Let me relate my experience.

There's a new chipset from TI for wireless charging. It requires a bit more juice so all the new phones coming out now will need a different charger to minimize issues.

Look for QI Fast Charging capable chargers. Samsung has one. There are several others out there that work as well, try eBay. You need an output amperage of 1.67a. Normal QI chargers are 1.00a. An older charger may work great, especially if you use a 2.0a charging plug. Both the sender and receiver need to be TI or charging can be hit and miss. Judging from the forum posts, that's exactly what we are seeing.

The same issue hit my phone. Place on charger, it charges to near 100%, then stops and restarts charging continuously from then on.
    12-17-2015 03:04 PM
    The DT-900 (I think, got it for free when I bought my 920 on AT&T) works perfectly on the 950xl. My only criticism is (and this seems to be an OS issue) is Hello keeps waking the phone up when you sit it on the charger. Haven't used the phone enough yet to see if this a continuous issue. I'll find out if my JBL speaker with the charging plate will work when I go to bed tonight. So glad to have Qi back. I sorely missed that on my 1520. Looking at you AT&T on your crappy duracel crap.
    Joe920 likes this.
    12-17-2015 09:25 PM
    Anyone know if the Tylt Wireless Charging Car Mount works? My Nokia one doesn't line up with the 950 XL.
    I purchased the TYLT VU Wireless Charging Car Mount from the Windows Central store and have been using it with my 950 for about a week now. Works like a champ, providing enough juice to still charge while playing music and using the GPS. The bottom is adjustable, too, so you can get the right placement for any phone (the directions that came in the box state how to align a Galaxy S6). Size wise, I used it with my 1520 as well.

Works so well I ordered two of the TYLT VU wireless chargers for my desk at home and work today, too.
    12-17-2015 09:41 PM
    My Qi-nfinity T900 gets really warm when charging and so does the phone. Anybody else seeing that?
    12-24-2015 01:23 PM
    My Qi-nfinity T900 gets really warm when charging and so does the phone. Anybody else seeing that?
    Really warm no. Lukewarm sure. it's induction charging, it's not VERY hot, but it does get warm a little while charging.
    12-24-2015 01:26 PM
    I had the t910 from AT&T (I think that is the model) stand and I never noticed the Lumia 928 getting warm. This is warm enough to not be ignored. I'm thinking I may try to send them back. I think I'll have to figure out how to measure the temperature since "warm" is relative.
    12-24-2015 01:29 PM
    I had the t910 from AT&T (I think that is the model) stand and I never noticed the Lumia 928 getting warm. This is warm enough to not be ignored. I'm thinking I may try to send them back. I think I'll have to figure out how to measure the temperature since "warm" is relative.
    I have the 2 same model as you, folding, and they both get warm to some extent with my 950XL. Are you using a 2amps charger?
    12-24-2015 01:31 PM
    The power supply says 5 volt, 2 amp.
    12-25-2015 07:44 AM
    Looking for a Qi car charger/holder. My old Nokia unit doesn't work with my XL. Anyone?
    12-25-2015 12:46 PM
    I got this one for my 950xl

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pUvbUpU3355842

I was concerned it might not work through a phone case. I bought this phone--not a great case but it will do until I get the case I want

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...pUvbUpU3355842

It seems to be working just fine.

Crossing my fingers it works for the case I am going to purchase
    http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Ghos...pUvbUpU3355842
    12-25-2015 01:04 PM
    So after a week or so of using the cheap $10 hockey puck Qi charger from amazon... I can say... It works GREAT!
    Charges at a decent speed and it keeps it at 100% when it gets there.
    I'm going to buy a couple more of these and try to outfit them in tables and stuff. :)
    What's the name of the charger you bought?
    12-26-2015 01:39 AM
    this Car charger works amazingly well on my XL.
    12-26-2015 03:07 AM
    What's the name of the charger you bought?
    Yeah, which puck?? - got the anker one from UK Amazon as it reckoned to have overheat protection. Always seems to be around 95% charged when i wake up. So guess it stops it charging when it gets to full. Need something that keeps topping it up so i have 100% in the morning.
    12-26-2015 07:44 AM
    The DT-903 work's perfectly on both my L950 & my L1520 with the added bonus of notification's.
    12-26-2015 07:51 AM
    Thanks, Tankwart! I'll see if that one's available in the US.
    12-26-2015 11:06 AM
    It does.

It also works with the regular Samsung Wireless Charger as well as the Samsung Wireless Fast Charger.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    12-26-2015 05:58 PM
    Hello there. I am just curious here. Those who claimed that DT-900 works with Lumia 950 XL, have you guys charging the phone overnight with it? I got 2 sets of DT-900 here (used since my L920 & L1520). My L950 XL gets overheated when charging with DT-900 within 10-15 minutes. The notification light on the DT-900 will blink rapidly when this happens.
    12-28-2015 01:53 AM
    Hello there. I am just curious here. Those who claimed that DT-900 works with Lumia 950 XL, have you guys charging the phone overnight with it? I got 2 sets of DT-900 here (used since my L920 & L1520). My L950 XL gets overheated when charging with DT-900 within 10-15 minutes. The notification light on the DT-900 will blink rapidly when this happens.
    I use my dt100 overnight with the MS logo lining up with the Nokia circle on the dt100 and I dont use any cases or screen things

My 950xl always gets warmer than I like doing QI charging but it shuts off when fully charged and is 100% when I wake up :) with the led off

TBH I dont know what temperature Q1 chargers should make phones get to
    Last edited by madusmacus; 12-28-2015 at 01:24 PM. Reason: speeling
    12-28-2015 12:26 PM
    My L950 XL gets overheated when charging with DT-900 within 10-15 minutes. The notification light on the DT-900 will blink rapidly when this happens.
    Hi everyone,

I am currently conducting an in-depth test to find out why QI charing with the Lumia 950 XL isn't consistent, fast or even completing with 100%.

For that I'm using an USB amperemeter, different 3 coil QI chargers, IR thermometer, USB cooler and different power supplies (for instance Anker).

What I can say already:
    • If I actively cool (usb cooler) the setup then it always charges perfectly fine from 0-100 within 3:30 hrs and 8 watts consumption on the power supply.
    • If I do not cool then every time the phone starts to drop charing ampere down to 1A which leads to extremely slow charging. Usually this happens after about 20 minutes.
    • The phone draws 8 watts when charing and this is suspicious. The QI standard defines 6W max + about 1W loss due to QI charing. Not sure why the +1 watt should make a major difference though.
    • Very often the phone says it's fully charged but the phones charing chip still draws 5-6 watts from the charger for another 30-45 minutes. Seems like a WP10M or firmware bug
    • The power supply choice doesn't impact the results as long as the device is rated with at least 1.5A.
    • These problems are reproducible with all QI chargers I own.
    • One idea is that the phone might heat up and so decides to reduce charging power. But with my professional IR thermometer I don't measure more than 35C max surface temperature
    • The other idea is that even with only 35C the back cover deforms slightly and so the charging pins between the cover and phone don't connect perfectly anymore. That might explain the active cooling success rate of 100%.
    12-28-2015 06:38 PM
    A stupid q. maybe, but,
    as the secondary coil is in the back cover, have you checked that there is a proper contact of conductive points on the cover with those on the phone? There are reports of the squeaking cover so I guess the whole setup is not very tightly packed..

Oh I see now you mentioned similar in your last point...
    12-28-2015 07:12 PM
    Good point! I have checked it yesterday again and yes the pins seem perfectly fine, clean, stable. I am still getting a Mozo cover early next year and I'm excited to test if this fixes the issue. This 950 XL replacement unit doesn't have the creaking cover "feature" anymore and so the cover "should" be fine.

I am now back to the temperature testing as the best lead I have.
    12-28-2015 07:15 PM
    Good point! I have checked it yesterday again and yes the pins seem perfectly fine, clean, stable. I am still getting a Mozo cover early next year and I'm excited to test if this fixes the issue. This 950 XL replacement unit doesn't have the creaking cover "feature" anymore and so the cover "should" be fine.

I am now back to the temperature testing as the best lead I have.
    Do keep us posted when you get the Mozo cover. I have some creaks on my 950XL cover. So maybe the theory of the contact pins dishing disengaging when the phone cover distort when hot might be true. Haha, maybe I need to tie it with a rubber band.
    12-28-2015 08:11 PM
105 12345