Qi Chargers That Work

HOTDAWG

May 13, 2013
Visit site
Just thought I'd share this:

Although they aren't going to be as fast as the USB-C cables, Qi Chargers are awfully handy. I have found two so far that work fine to replace my beloved DT-910s. Just got them, so I haven't tested actual charging times.

TYLT VU 3 Coil Qi Wireless Charger
This one looks nice. Way overpackaged but the design of the unit is good. It's quite large - it's footprint is much bigger than the DT-910. All one piece, nothing to break. I probably have room for it on my desk at work, but not so much my desk at home. Too big for nightstand, but the reclining angle is definitely more desk-side-reading than lying-in-bed anyway. Will do on a kitchen counter. Cheaper by about $10 than the next one.

Bought on recommendation from a WC article,

Qi-infinity T900 Folding Qi Wireless Charger Dock
Packaging is certainly better (i.e. LESS). When I pick the unit up, it seems somewhat heavy and well built. Folds up to about the size of a pack of cards, definitely something one could travel with (but for me, the minimalist traveler, the fast cord will do.) My new nightstand charger, it has a small green light to show it's plugged in, but the phone covers that (a nice change from the lighthouse torch on the DT-910!). Probably would look more professional on my desk, but for $10 the other will do that job. Comes with two USB cords, short and not so short (maybe 3-4ft), but does not come with a wall adapter. I have a million of those anyway - bet you do too.

Both picked up the phone right away and started charging.

ETA: 9 days later. Just wanted to share that the Qi infinity charger does not charge fully after seven hours (overnight) on dock. I am only about 60% charged after that time.

Last edited:

HOTDAWG

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I played around with mine, and it will charge, but only if I can hover it about an inch off the base. Since I'm not David Copperfield and I didn't want to hack something, I'm caving to buying something else. Glad yours are working! If I were still a student, I'd totally be hacking something.

JRDEMASKUS

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Initially I couldn't get the DT-900 to connect, but the phone was in a case (CaseFormers) with a kickstand that does not allow the device to lay flat.
Without the case, it worked.

When I tried a PowerBot PB1023 wireless charger, in the same case, it worked right away.

HOTDAWG

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I would think DT-900 would be fine since it's flat. I can't see the time at night if the phone lies flat, though. Yes, dammit, I'm too lazy to pick it up.

DeathMoJo

May 24, 2015
Visit site
If you don't need one that sits the phone up, want to save some cash and just want it to charge then i recommend the Anker Qi charger. I have this one for my 950 XL and it works great, i have it paired with a 2.0amp charger. The phone gets warm but never hot too the touch. The pad requires an existing cell phone charger that has a micro-usb cable.

http://www.amazon.com/Anker-Wireles...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3320731

Last edited:

peashooter14

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Maybe its the DT-900, but my charger from my old Lumia 950 works like a champ. Finally the one piece of technology I put in a drawer three years ago still has value!!!!

jssmarathon

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
About a year and a half ago I purchased a Tylt charger for my 1520.3. I purchased it directly from Tylt.

Upon fully charging the phone on the charger, the unit will cycle on and off and consequently the screen on the phone used to go on and off indicating that it was charging or not. I called the company and they sent me a new one, which still behaved in the same manner, called them back and they sent me a third one which still behaved in the same manner. Needless to say I gave up and went with the Nokia charger.

Now I have called out these three old chargers to try them with my 950 XL and I get the same behavior. All three of them will charge the phone just fine but once the phone gets fully charged, the screen on the 950 XL switches on and off approximately every 15 to 30 seconds. Obviously this cannot be good for the phone so I have discontinued use of these chargers again and will probably sell them on eBay.

I really like the form factor of these chargers as they are easy to center and have a great view of the screen on the end table or desk.

Anyone have any thoughts?

mdbuilder

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
This is kind of semi-normal. When you drop the phone one the charger and the power flows the screen comes on, normal behavior.

When the phone reaches full the charger shuts off - normal.

Your phone is still one and drawing power, when it drops off 100% the charger should reconnect and begin charging again. Normal, although every 30 seconds is too often, there should be a buffer of a couple percent - turn on if below 98% say.

I'll keep an eye on my 910 for a while tonight after it shuts off and see how often it comes back on. I know it does come back on because the phone reaches 100% and 4 hours later is still at 100% so by definition there has to be some cycling on and off going on...

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
My DT-900 doesn't do that, though. The only light that flickers (breathing effect) is the charging light, but the phone's screen doesn't come on then go back off. So I wouldn't call his TYLT VU 3 Coil having a normal behavior, more of an annoyance if you're trying to sleep and you got a bright light next to you that says "Hi... now bye... hello again... good night..." on continuous repeat.

jssmarathon

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Exactly,

My nokia DT-900 does not do that either so no clue why the tylt does.

Renders The charger useless however, as you mentioned you wake up with the room lit up like a Christmas tree, or cannot be doing the screen in a good if it's going on and off every night hundreds of times when not necessarily being used

HOTDAWG

May 13, 2013
Visit site
All three of them will charge the phone just fine but once the phone gets fully charged, the screen on the 950 XL switches on and off approximately every 15 to 30 seconds.

Mine doesn't cycle every 15 seconds, but it does do this. Agreed.

Also, update to original post.

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site
I just want a stand charger that works reliably. I don't get why any with 3 charging coils wouldn't work with no problems however since the charger area is larger.

It seems like I can't get any wireless charger to charge reliably at all. I've tried my DT-900 and sometimes with proper placement (as described in a few posts) I can get it to charge. But, it's usually slow and heats up ridiculously. I also ordered a 3 coil charger here http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...0-20&m1k=vb_wp and it seemed to work once or twice. But last night I set it on the charger, light was green indicating it was charging. But, woke up this morning and it was at 22% (pretty much what it was when I put it on the charger. It's getting frustrating as this is one of the main features of the phone and I'm running out of patience. Does anyone have a stand charger that's actually working reliably?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss