Qi Chargers That Work

gerryf19

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I got this one for my 950xl

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3355842

I was concerned it might not work through a phone case. I bought this phone--not a great case but it will do until I get the case I want

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3355842

It seems to be working just fine.

Crossing my fingers it works for the case I am going to purchase
http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Gho...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3355842

Ben Hanchett

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
So after a week or so of using the cheap $10 hockey puck Qi charger from amazon... I can say... It works GREAT!
Charges at a decent speed and it keeps it at 100% when it gets there.
I'm going to buy a couple more of these and try to outfit them in tables and stuff. :)
What's the name of the charger you bought?

bells0

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
What's the name of the charger you bought?

Yeah, which puck?? - got the anker one from UK Amazon as it reckoned to have overheat protection. Always seems to be around 95% charged when i wake up. So guess it stops it charging when it gets to full. Need something that keeps topping it up so i have 100% in the morning.

TerryGecko57

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
It does.

It also works with the regular Samsung Wireless Charger as well as the Samsung Wireless Fast Charger.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

GF Wong

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Hello there. I am just curious here. Those who claimed that DT-900 works with Lumia 950 XL, have you guys charging the phone overnight with it? I got 2 sets of DT-900 here (used since my L920 & L1520). My L950 XL gets overheated when charging with DT-900 within 10-15 minutes. The notification light on the DT-900 will blink rapidly when this happens.

madusmacus

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Hello there. I am just curious here. Those who claimed that DT-900 works with Lumia 950 XL, have you guys charging the phone overnight with it? I got 2 sets of DT-900 here (used since my L920 & L1520). My L950 XL gets overheated when charging with DT-900 within 10-15 minutes. The notification light on the DT-900 will blink rapidly when this happens.

I use my dt100 overnight with the MS logo lining up with the Nokia circle on the dt100 and I dont use any cases or screen things

My 950xl always gets warmer than I like doing QI charging but it shuts off when fully charged and is 100% when I wake up :?) with the led off

TBH I dont know what temperature Q1 chargers should make phones get to

Last edited:

wpctrlfan

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
My L950 XL gets overheated when charging with DT-900 within 10-15 minutes. The notification light on the DT-900 will blink rapidly when this happens.

Hi everyone,

I am currently conducting an in-depth test to find out why QI charing with the Lumia 950 XL isn't consistent, fast or even completing with 100%.

For that I'm using an USB amperemeter, different 3 coil QI chargers, IR thermometer, USB cooler and different power supplies (for instance Anker).

What I can say already:
  • If I actively cool (usb cooler) the setup then it always charges perfectly fine from 0-100 within 3:30 hrs and 8 watts consumption on the power supply.
  • If I do not cool then every time the phone starts to drop charing ampere down to 1A which leads to extremely slow charging. Usually this happens after about 20 minutes.
  • The phone draws 8 watts when charing and this is suspicious. The QI standard defines 6W max + about 1W loss due to QI charing. Not sure why the +1 watt should make a major difference though.
  • Very often the phone says it's fully charged but the phones charing chip still draws 5-6 watts from the charger for another 30-45 minutes. Seems like a WP10M or firmware bug
  • The power supply choice doesn't impact the results as long as the device is rated with at least 1.5A.
  • These problems are reproducible with all QI chargers I own.
  • One idea is that the phone might heat up and so decides to reduce charging power. But with my professional IR thermometer I don't measure more than 35?C max surface temperature
  • The other idea is that even with only 35?C the back cover deforms slightly and so the charging pins between the cover and phone don't connect perfectly anymore. That might explain the active cooling success rate of 100%.

Martin Zone

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
A stupid q. maybe, but,
as the secondary coil is in the back cover, have you checked that there is a proper contact of conductive points on the cover with those on the phone? There are reports of the squeaking cover so I guess the whole setup is not very tightly packed..

Oh I see now you mentioned similar in your last point...

wpctrlfan

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Good point! I have checked it yesterday again and yes the pins seem perfectly fine, clean, stable. I am still getting a Mozo cover early next year and I'm excited to test if this fixes the issue. This 950 XL replacement unit doesn't have the creaking cover "feature" anymore and so the cover "should" be fine.

I am now back to the temperature testing as the best lead I have.

GF Wong

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Good point! I have checked it yesterday again and yes the pins seem perfectly fine, clean, stable. I am still getting a Mozo cover early next year and I'm excited to test if this fixes the issue. This 950 XL replacement unit doesn't have the creaking cover "feature" anymore and so the cover "should" be fine.

I am now back to the temperature testing as the best lead I have.

Do keep us posted when you get the Mozo cover. I have some creaks on my 950XL cover. So maybe the theory of the contact pins dishing disengaging when the phone cover distort when hot might be true. Haha, maybe I need to tie it with a rubber band.

wpctrlfan

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Will do for sure! :)

Just another fresh finding: Taking the phone off the QI charger and putting it back instantly brings back the 8W charging power. No matter how hot or cool the device is.

wpctrlfan

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
An update from my side:

• This charging problem seems to only happen with 3 coil chargers
  • Research brought up these interesting threads Link 1, Link 2
  • So I tried charging in landscape mode and I had zero heat or charging speed problems!
  • Means that my 3 coil chargers might activate more than 1 coil as well superheating the phone and leading to slow charges
  • Also adds up nicely with the fact that active air cooling is preventing any charging problems
  • In addition this might fit with the observation that my 3 coil chargers draw 8 watts but the phone should follow low energy 5 watts QI standard. Maybe this proves as well that 2 coils are activated. I will get a 1 coil usb charger and measure if it draws less energy.

telomoyo

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site

I have four DT-900s and all work great. My 950XL gets warm, but never hot. I leave my phone (no case, original white cover) on the charger all night, and phone is 100% in the morning with charger light indicator off. My wife's 950XL has a case, and she also has no issues leaving hers charging overnight. What I have recommended in another post is to make sure the camera is not resting on the charger. That creates a space between phone and charger that may cause the overheating. Have the camera hang freely, and the back of the cover in contact with the charger.

GF Wong

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I have four DT-900s and all work great. My 950XL gets warm, but never hot. I leave my phone (no case, original white cover) on the charger all night, and phone is 100% in the morning with charger light indicator off. My wife's 950XL has a case, and she also has no issues leaving hers charging overnight. What I have recommended in another post is to make sure the camera is not resting on the charger. That creates a space between phone and charger that may cause the overheating. Have the camera hang freely, and the back of the cover in contact with the charger.

I have a soft case for my phone. It gets pretty hot when charging even with the camera hanging out. Maybe the ambient temperature here is a little high, around 30 Celsius.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
just to inform you I bought a Samsung wireless charger and a Samsung wireless car charger and they both work fantastic! I'm super happy with them!

samsung-fast-charge-wireless-charging-pad-100609082-primary.idge.jpg

3.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb