So I cracked my 1020 that has Microsoft complete coverage. As a replacement they offered me a 830 or an HTC M8. The 1020 was over $800 when new. I was quite frustrated they would not give me a 950xl. I did not do the exchange. As i thought it was a joke. I asked if I broke my surface pro would they give me a $500 Lenovo?

Any one had luck getting a 950 or 950 xl via complete?

Any advice?
    Thanks
    12-02-2015 01:27 PM
    You have to remember that just like any insurance, they look at current value, not what it was worth when you bought it. You can't expect them to offer a top of the line new product for something that's over two years old.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-02-2015 01:42 PM
    You have to remember that just like any insurance, they look at current value, not what it was worth when you bought it. You can't expect them to offer a top of the line new product for something that's over two years old.
    Not totally true. It may depend upon the store. When my wife broke her HTC 8x and went in to replace under MS Complete, the 8X wasn't available (out of production). They offered her any phone in store including 1020 which was the best available at the time. She didn't like any of her options, so she passed and we just got her a cheap 8x on Craigslist. A few months later the HTC One M8 came out. She loved it and they did a straight across swap for the 8x. I was also just talking to a guy at my local MS store, and he said he has used MS Complete to upgrade to a new phone. Just about a month ago, I took my Band 1 in for replacement. They didn't have it in my size, so they offered me new retail value for the band 1 toward an upgrade to band 2. (The Band case would be evidence of what you noted above about them only looking at current value) So, in my experience, there should be a way to utilize your MS complete to get a 950XL...maybe not a straight swap, but at least discounted...
    12-02-2015 01:58 PM
    If you break your surface pro. They give you a surface pro. If you have coverage from apple and you break your iPhone they give you an iPhone.
    12-02-2015 02:04 PM
    So, under this theory I should by MS complete on my 950XL then in a year or two when the the surface phone comes out and the 950 goes out of production I smash my 950XL on the ground and request a surface phone?
    12-02-2015 02:52 PM
    I know it sounds crazy, and I wouldn't promote EXPECTING the store to essentially upgrade you at no cost, but it can happen. And, if nothing else, it seems to be within MS policy to apply the new retail value of your broken device toward the latest and greatest.
    12-02-2015 03:18 PM
    I also got ripped off by Microshaft in buying their insurance for my 1020. After the USB stopped transferring data on my 4th phone, I go to exchange it and they no longer carried the 1020, or any flagship for that matter. When the 950 XL preorder came in, they wouldn't honor the policy. Wouldn't give me student discount either. Lame.
    12-02-2015 06:06 PM
    I think I will wait until the 950xl is fully in stock and try again
    12-02-2015 07:09 PM
    I also got ripped off by Microshaft in buying their insurance for my 1020. After the USB stopped transferring data on my 4th phone, I go to exchange it and they no longer carried the 1020, or any flagship for that matter. When the 950 XL preorder came in, they wouldn't honor the policy. Wouldn't give me student discount either. Lame.
    Yea they didn't give me the student discount either, but I'm going to try again later.
    12-02-2015 10:52 PM