Lumia 950XL Antenna and Reception Quality

Dinky89484

May 7, 2012
Visit site
For those who have the Lumia 950XL, can you comment on signal strength as it relates to the Dual Antenna feature that was touted when the device was first announced? I kept hearing about this Adaptive Antenna Technology that blends signal from two antennas and that the 950XL utilized this technology. Was it just another one of those hype vehicles to sell units or does the Lumia 950XL actually get better signal/reception due to this adaptive antenna feature?

taphius

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Mine does get better signal compared to my note 5. The call quality is damn good as well, one thing so far I found I like about the phone

macros_1

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
One of the best things about the 950 XL has been the reception. It's somewhat strange though, in places where I always got 5 bars on my old phones (HTC 8x, 925, 830), I only see 4 bars. But most areas where I only got one bar or none, I'm getting decent signal. Its been most impressive that I get a signal in a rural area where I and almost everyone I know gets no signal (even on other carriers), I get a signal. Also, in the garage below my office I now get one.... It's somewhat amazing, considering I have T-Mobile which isn't known for good signal really anywhere....

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
One of the best things about the 950 XL has been the reception. It's somewhat strange though, in places where I always got 5 bars on my old phones (HTC 8x, 925, 830), I only see 4 bars. But most areas where I only got one bar or none, I'm getting decent signal. Its been most impressive that I get a signal in a rural area where I and almost everyone I know gets no signal (even on other carriers), I get a signal. Also, in the garage below my office I now get one.... It's somewhat amazing, considering I have T-Mobile which isn't known for good signal really anywhere....

you can't compare "bars" of signal across different phones..especially across different manufacturers. Each vendor sets a certain signal strength (measured in dBm or or mW) to correspond to a certain visual indicator of "bars on the display. It's completely arbitrary. To really compare you would need access to the actual signal strength (which you can see on android phones but I haven't found a way to do it on windows phones). But I'm glad you're having good luck with the phone as far as signal is concerned :)

Dinky89484

May 7, 2012
Visit site

I've got T-Mobile too and this sounds encouraging. My 1520.3 gets really crap signal at my desk at work.

Noob1ee

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
One thing I've noticed is that the 950XL gets signal immediately after I come up to surface from subway station, whereas my old Lumia 920 would like its sweet *** time (sometimes would have to switch to airplane mode and back) to catch signal.

SimpleCartoon

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
i am having issues with call quality. Its worse when compared to 1520. May be because i am using two sims (one from tmobile and other from ATT). Some times other party is unable to hear voice. I hope this is just isolated to my phone.

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
The way I see it.
Put Canadian sim card in (sim 1) and ATT sim card in (sim 2)..
While in Canada activate sim 1 and turn off sim 2.
While in the State activate sim 2 and turn off sim 1.
While doing that everything should be working for data.

So, is it possible that it works that way???

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs