simple mod to make DT-900 and DT-910 qi chargers work with 950XL

Gregg Le Blanc

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I did that - it got to the point where the 950 XL thinks it is charging, but it's really not...

If you are good with a soldering iron, you can extend the black wire in the DT-910 case and probably move it all the way up to the top of the stand... but I'm not quite sure it will work (I'm within 1-2cm of the top).

You can see how to do this here (I cut more off the top of the charger frame and got it slightly higher):
forum.xda-developers.com/google-nexus-5/accessories/nokia-dt-910-mod-to-ballistic-sg-tough-t2576422

Moving the sticker is probably also hard, but if it's done right, you don't have to open all these plastic cases...

bAN01TgAZ

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I have modified my Mozo leather back plate to work with my CR200 incar charger / dt-901 / dt-900

I simply removed the thin metalic shield, and moved the coil lower (using my NL1020 & NL920 as a guide for placement)

then covered up the metalic tape with celotape.

Works on every QI charger I own :)

http://1drv.ms/1TdVqtV (before)
http://1drv.ms/1R0xkAU (during)
http://1drv.ms/1TdUO7w (after)

I have noticed that the dt-900 charger is only 750mA (3/4 of an amp) whereas the supplied charger is 3amps,

the CR200 charger is also 750mA which is less than a third of the required charging power needed, in my opinion the 950XL uses about 500mA even when not in use, so it will take significantly longer to charge fully using Nokia wireless charging devices than using the AC100X charger from the box.

robdmau

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Hello all, I just took my nokia stand apart and moved the coils up, no rewire or anything. Did it with a pocket knife (I did break 2 star bit screwed) but 100% functional.

Gregg Le Blanc

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
[Solved] Re: simple mod to make DT-900 and DT-910 qi chargers work with 950XL

So, I posted that I moved the interior charging coils on one of my Qi charging stands. When I put the phone on it, it looked like it was charging, but actually it wasn't. And I would have had to un-solder the ground wire in it, and lengthen it, and then get it to the right position... and that's just too much work (as I have 3 of these that would need it).

I finally just bit the bullet and pulled the 950 XL's back plate off, carefully removed the sticker over the Qi charging coil, and moved it down about 3cm. I tried it a few times so it may vary for everyone. There's definitely enough room in the backplate for this.

It's pretty straightforward - my original fix was picking apart the 1020's charger back coil and adding it to the back. Which did work... but it make the case bulge a little too much and the connection was flaky.

Anyhow, I didn't take before / after pictures, but the phone charges on all my chargers - two stands (one modded), the flat one, and the car charger.

When you peel off the sticker, it will become obvious what you need to do... and what not to screw up.

1. Step 1: Use an Xacto Knife to carefully pry up the sticker that covers the coil (don't rip it - you'll reuse it in about 2 min)
  2. Step 2: VERY CAREFULLY pry the Qi coil up from the phone's back plate evenly so it remains flat. Do not stress the connector wires.
  3. Step 3: Move the coil DOWN about 3cm. Basically, the top of the coil should be about 3-4mm below the center of the recessed ring you un-stuck the coil from. Re-position its connector wires carefully while you do this. You may need to pull about 1.5cm of wire from the coil itself in order to get it into position properly. I guess you want to keep the wires from kinking, and crossing over each other.
  4. Step 4: Try it (no sticker). - It will NOT charge well without the sticker. The charging stand light will blink.
  5. Step 4a: Do NOT waste time wondering why... if you get the Qi charging noise and light on / blinking, you're good.
  6. Step 5: Put the sticker back over it (it actually shields the EMF I guess from the Qi coil and the phone). Try to keep any connector wires that cross the coil perpendicular to the coil itself.

I've been running it like this for about 6 weeks with no difficulties on all my chargers, and an aftermarket charger.

YMMV. But this is the simplest fix (as people have probably figured out after looking at the inside of their charger stands).
The good news is that I didn't have to un-do that charger stand mod. I have one modded, and one not modded. They both work just fine.

The car charger is the biggest win for me...
Except its sticky pad is pretty gross now and doesn't quite adhere to the windshield anymore...

TTFN

Last edited:

djohnson1149

May 1, 2015
Visit site
I find it interesting that you are having issues with the DT-900 Charger. I'm using the same DT-900 that came with my Lumia 920, purchased in December 2012. I purchased my Unlocked 950 XL Dual Sim two months ago. I added the CASEFORMERS Ultra Slim Lumia 950 XL Armor Case with kickstand from Amazon. It has charged perfectly on my DT-900 from the beginning.

I also use a portable QI charger, the Luxa 2 (TX-P1), that I I've had for several years now. It worked with my 920 and works even better with my 950 XL. The Luxa 2 has the charging ring as well as a USB cable. You can actually charge two devices at the same time. You may want to checkout some other 3rd party chargers for your best performance.

Gregg Le Blanc

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I exchanged my 950 XL for a new one. I was getting reboots every day (sometimes multiple times) no matter what OS I was running (Release, Slow, Fast Ring etc.). So, I got to do the mod again.

Here are some pictures to prove it ;)
QiMod1.jpg

Carefully Pry Away the sticker(s).

QiMod2.jpg

Work a thin tool or blade around the Qi coil... do not bend it!
Carefully prying away the coil is really important.
You'll have to slice the little bit of shielding foil away from covering the bottom of the coil so that the sticker / coil detach nicely.

QiMod3.jpg

Once the coil is loose, pull a little slack from one side and coil the excess so it stays apart from the other lead. Move the coil down... find the place that works best for you. This is what I did.

I moved the coil a little further down than I said in my last post. Basically the top of the coil is at the bottom of the middle part of the coil recess in the plastic. The sticker / shielding should still cover the entire coil - so don't go too low.

QiMod4.jpg

Charge your phone!

Hope it helps someone.
My phone is at 85% between taking the photos and posting this (it was charging at 75% when I took the pictures).
That full charge time (over 1 hour in the picture) has reduced to 30 min, so I think it's charging faster than it estimated.
TTFN

Last edited:

dnmartin98

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
This is fantastic. I have four of these stands for my husband and me. I've been really pissed that we haven't been able to use them. I just modded my 950xl like this and it works. You are awesome.

Ejay Lozano

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same problem with my dt-910 and my Lumia 950. It works fine without a case, but when I use it with a case it doesn't charge. I was messing around with those vent magnet phone holders and placed on the lower back portion of the dt-910, then placed my L950 with the case on the charger it started charging my phone. I don't know if it's bad for the phone if magnets are involved, but they do have those vent magnet holders with qi chargers built-in now, this maybe a quick fix.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion