Error downloading langage

Lennart Petersson

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi!

Brand new 950XL, no pending updates. 10.0.10586.0

Region: United States
Language: English (United States)
Speech: French (France) default installed (bought it from MS France)

Now trying to add Speech Language English (United States) but only gets "Error downloading". Also tried English (United Kingdom) with some failure.

Whats going on? What to do? This stands in my way of starting Cortana :(

/L

Owen Stevens

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
same issue here.
My french 950 XL arrived yesterday, configured with UK language.
However speech languages won't download, giving a 'error downloading' error.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
This issue was known for many Windows 10 Mobile Insider builds. It could easily be fixed by simply running the Insider app and re-enrolling again. I'm aware that neither the 950 nor the 950XL are currently able to enroll in the Insider Preview, so you can't even really try if that will fix your issue. But last I heard Microsoft is already looking into adding both devices soon.

Lennart Petersson

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
So, there actually are bugs not letting us download the needed Speech language packs and that problem all new 950 have? Was not the start I needed when moving from Android to my first WP. And only solution is to enroll the Insider program that is not available!? :)

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
So, there actually are bugs not letting us download the needed Speech language packs and that problem all new 950 have? Was not the start I needed when moving from Android to my first WP. And only solution is to enroll the Insider program that is not available!? :)

It's only possible that this is still a solution for this problem. I'm not even certain. The 950 and XL also both appear to be in the need of a firmware update that should fix a lot of issues people seem to be having. And don't get me started on W10 mobile. It's clearly not out of beta yet. But there's certainly a couple updates down the road that should address the most common issues.

Dennis Bakker

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Here the same. I bought the phone from the France Microsoft Store and want to download English (UK) for Cortana, but it won't download :( I don't know if there are rom's available online which can be installed with the (former?) Nokia Software Recovery Tool so I can install a UK rom...

kinnyc

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem: bought my 950 through MS France and live in the UK. Resolved issue by doing a factory reset then going through the setup process again. Important bit was to skip the "use Cortana" bit of the setup procedure and go (as soon as possible) to the download speech part of the settings menu - still not opening Cortana. The UK speech pack downloaded and the 950 went through a restart and you'll see the cogs...
Let me know if I can make any part of this clearer.

Lennart Petersson

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem: bought my 950 through MS France and live in the UK. Resolved issue by doing a factory reset then going through the setup process again. Important bit was to skip the "use Cortana" bit of the setup procedure and go (as soon as possible) to the download speech part of the settings menu - still not opening Cortana. The UK speech pack downloaded and the 950 went through a restart and you'll see the cogs...

Ok, sounds doable although I'm not so happy setting the phone and apps all up again. Just managed to connected my Band 2 which was NOT a walk in the park... Or will most of this be restored from backup?

kinnyc

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I ignored my backup on OneDrive mainly so I had as clean a phone as possible. No idea if you'll have problems with the speech download if you restored your backup. That wasn't something I tried.

teemulehtinen

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem. If your were an Insider with the latest preview build, the backup of yours is from a later build than the one on the phone. It probably screwed something up. I think my issue was this as I tried reset twice from a backup of a preview build phone, after which i did a third from a clean slate. It solved the issue.

It's very annoying...

Dennis Bakker

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
This fixed it for me. I did restore a backup, but as soon as possible I downloaded the needed language...

Lennart Petersson

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
Ok, started over with a factory reseted now, skipped Cortana and went direct to download Speech Language. At least I've not got the error but I've had the "Downloading" text now for rather long time. Download should not take 5+ minutes, or?

Edit: No problems, it hadn't hanged or anything, there was a message that I've missed saying that the phone had to be restarted to complete the download. Now let see if Cortana will work...

Edit #2: And Cortana up and running :)

Last edited:

Neville Carpenter

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
The only way I managed to get Cortana to work on my 950 XL was to change my region to the United States now I have Cortana working...By the way I am in the UK.

Sp my speech language is English (United States0 Default
Country/Region (United States0
Regional format (match phone language)
Date and time set automatically (UTC) Dublin, Edinburgh,Lisbon......
Keyboard UK..
Cortana now working fine for me.

Gecos

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately it's not a bulletproof solution. Hard reset helped me finally get the .29 retail update and then accessing fast ring helped me get the .36 update, however the US/UK speech pack did not download for me. Did a 2nd hard reset and a start fresh without restore and still no luck.

Penecho

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem, after recieving the .29 Update and restarting I also recieved another Update that was called "support for additional languages", after that Update I could download all the other languages under "Speech" and finally use Cortana. From my unboxing until I could use it, it took like 1 day.

Gecos

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem, after recieving the .29 Update and restarting I also recieved another Update that was called "support for additional languages", after that Update I could download all the other languages under "Speech" and finally use Cortana. From my unboxing until I could use it, it took like 1 day.

Well, similar experience, only difference is the missing update "support for additional languages".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6