Travelling to the UK with the 950XL

moirane

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

I am going to be travelling to N. Ireland (UK) over the Christmas break and will be there for about a month. This is the first time I am travelling abroad with a dual SIM phone and I am wondering what the best way to handle making sure I have both data, sms and phone capabilities when I am not connected to WiFi.

Normally I would just purchase a plan from ATT that covers the time frame I will be gone that allows X amount of minutes data etc.. but with the dual SIM I am thinking there might be a cheaper/easier way.

Would it be possible to purchase a local SIM that would work in the SIM 2 slot of the 950XL that would allow a local number and sms and data functionality and if so what would be the best way to get one? Specifically I will be in county Antram in N. Ireland if that makes any difference as far as carriers etc...

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

bells0

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
PAYG sims are readily available in all supermarkets. Will come with an allowance of minutes/texts/data. You can 'top up' the balance in shops also or by calling the provider.

Doesn't the dual sim only allow data usage on 1 of the sims though?

moirane

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Yea I was thinking I would turn SIM 1 off and just use the PAYG SIM for sms/data/phone except when I am on WiFi. Does it make sense to wait until I am there to purchase the SIM? Is there a way to purchase a SIM that will work in N.. Ireland (UK) from here (like from Amazon?) Any particular carrier I should be looking for?

Thanks again in advance for any help

Kevin

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
usually makes sense to just get there and purchase - and seems like you will have plenty of time to do that...
The advantage of the Lumia 950XL - is two fold (or dual :) )
dual sim : means you dont have to fiddle getting the sim out and putting the other in... a pain for sure... esp with these nano sims
unlocked : means no begging ATT to unlock the phone so that you can get cheaper data when overseas

go for it - buy it and you'll find you get MUCH better deals for data and txts outside the US

FYI i travel to the UK and to Asia often... and have a sim card for most countries now... usually the sim card phone number will stay valid for about 12 to 18 months depending on country...

Lee Power

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
A UK pay as you go sim will normally deactivate with the potential loss of number & remaining credit after 6 months of un use. Plenty of places to pick up a suitable sim card once you get to Ireland. Three network is worth a look.

Last edited by a moderator:

CrownSeven

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I travel there for work quite a bit lately. I purchased a sim card from vodaphone for 30 pounds and use that along with my tmobile sim. Tmobile gives free international data and text, calls are 20 cents a minute. They do throttle data quite a bit though. So I use the vodaphone sim for data and local calling instead. Gotta love the dual sim for times like these!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett