Mobile hotspot/tethering?

Sunstorming

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Mine on ATT also did not work. I had data and Lte... But it would not work and everything was fine on ATT end. So I returned the 950xl(for that and other reasons

jjmorgan64

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Att, mine had lte no hotspot when I used an old iPhone imei, when i replaced that with a lumia 635 imei in the hotspot and lte work perfect

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I called AT&T. They couldn't get mobile hotspot to work. They sent me address of AT&T specialized center for me to bring the phone there to have them look. Mobile hotspot worked fine on same SIM when I used on Lumia 640.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Hotspot works fine in the states with ATT SIM #1

Hotspot worked in Panama last night with Claro SIM #2 (only got 4G). But it wouldn't allow the Surface Pro 4 to connect until I disabled SIM 1. Not sure why. But it saved my bacon because I had a server that needed to be bounced in Calgary.

I'm just amazed at what we do with these new mobile "weapons" that we carry around with us. As critical as we are about these devices and their imperfections, I WAS sitting at a table outdoors eating a lobster, holding a wafer thin ultra high definition touch screen, working on a server several countries away, all using bandwidth being provided by a small handheld device with a tiny $30 sim I had acquired from a cute little girl outside of customs only moments before.

how different that one little IT event was, compared to just a few years ago. My food didn't get cold and it didn't require a team of folks.

Hotspots are like living in the Jetson's era. lol

jayk82

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
For the life of me I can't get my SP4 to connect. My hotspot will turn on, and my wife's iPhone can connect, but my surface keeps saying "Cannot activate mobile hotspot."

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
For the life of me I can't get my SP4 to connect. My hotspot will turn on, and my wife's iPhone can connect, but my surface keeps saying "Cannot activate mobile hotspot."

turn off bluetooth on the surface (i'm assuming you have the phone paired with the surface) or unpair the phone from the surface. There's some special-sauce hotspot bluetooth communication that is probably interfering with the connection from being established. I noticed the same thing with my HP laptop (running 10) and my w10m phone.

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
My hotspot works until I use my bt headphones at the the gym. When I get in the car to turn it on, it won't connect and gets stuck on the toggle saying connecting. I have to go to cellular and toggle off sim 1 and data and back on and then the connecting toggle in action center will work.

jayk82

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
turn off bluetooth on the surface (i'm assuming you have the phone paired with the surface) or unpair the phone from the surface. There's some special-sauce hotspot bluetooth communication that is probably interfering with the connection from being established. I noticed the same thing with my HP laptop (running 10) and my w10m phone.

Turning off Bluetooth did the trick. Thank you so much!!

jayk82

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
This is strange. My hotspot has been working fine for a few days, now all of a sudden it has gone back to popping up telling me it can't be activated and to go to the att website or call 611. AT&T is telling me it is activated on their end. Any thoughts / ideas as to how to get it working again?

peashooter14

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
I am convinced there are some bugs with the hotspot feature. It seems incoming calls or Blue tooth can throw it into a bad state. I have found that in this state it loses its DNS server, because I can still ping google's IP number but not name. Toggling the cellular data settings or a quick reboot fixes the hotspot.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
So did you ever figure out the problem?
Went to AT&T device support center. They said nothing is wrong with the mobile hotspot feature on the device and probably the device is not provision correctly. Called AT&T support again. The lady said not all features of unlocked phones may work. Unfortunately, the mobile hotspot feature on this phone is one of those. Going to try with a T-Mobile sim card.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo