Best way to call someone (a speed dial number) without having to unlock the phone?

trekster

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
My former Android phone had an app that was able to speed dial one of 8 people even when the phone was locked. It appeared on the lock screen and was able to dial one of 8 numbers with a single press and swipe. It dialed based on the direction of the swipe.

Is there something similar for Windows 10 Phone? I'd rather not need to unlock the phone in order to dial one of my most called contacts.

It doesn't have to be an app that behaves exactly like this. Just curious how others have efficiently handled speed-dial.

rangerdogy

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
You can ask Cortana. "Hey Cortana, dial 867-5309" will dial a phone number, and "Hey Cortana, call Jenni" will call Jenni from your contact list.

trekster

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
I appreciate that Cortana could do that, but it seems a rather inelegant thing to do on the bus.

This could also dial the wrong number in a noisy environment. Possibly an embarrassingly wrong number.

Also, would this work if the screen was locked? Not willing to try it right now as I'm...on the bus...

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It does work with the screen locked.

You could speak softly and place the mic close to your mouth.

I have the football game on pretty loud on the surround system and I successfully had Cotana dial something by using the above suggestion (mic close, speak softly).

Or, you know, unlock the phone and manually make a call whenever you are on the bus. FWIW, I'm pretty complacent about talking to Cortana in public since she shows the philistines what they are missing.

Another alternate is to get a wearable like Band or Band 2 that lets you speak even more discreetly to your wrist.

trekster

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
I do have a Band 2. Will check it out with Cortana. Thanks.

Still, an icon on the lock screen would be better.

For reference, my Android app was called Widget Locker:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.widgetlocker&hl=en

I paid a couple of bucks for it. So I'm not looking for a free solution. But it was a nifty speed dialer that, importantly, worked when the screen was locked.

While I will investigate Cortana, I feel that she'll be a bit too "**** Tracy" for such a simple task--and one that the OS should offer.

trekster

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
So... Anyone could pick up your locked phone and start dialing your contacts? :confused:

Yes. This would be something that's low risk and has low consequence.

Please think about this: that little app (Widget in Android-speak) allowed me to make pretty much *every* call I make a day with just ONE press of an icon (plus a 1 inch slide). --No unlocking, no firing up the phone app, no hunting for a contact/favourite/phone-number, no pressing Send!

It's very awesome. I paid for it.

Couple of other things:

1) the main button is in the middle of the lock screen. I can make a call without looking for probably 4 ouf the 8 speed dials without looking; all 8 if I practiced.
2) it's illegal where I am to use a device while driving when that involves pushing more than 1 button. I guess the one-button allowance was for truck drivers, etc. with their hand-held mikes. Well, technically, I can make a call now with 1 button press. Not counting the use of Cortana, how many buttons presses does it take you to call home?

This is not a bash against WM. Androild would be the same. What I'm looking for is either an app or base-OS functionality that would allow me to do what Widget Locker used to do for me (and I'm willing to pay for it).

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I still say Cortana is your friend here. With "Hey Cortana" you are hands free.

"Hey Cortana... Call Sally speakerphone." For in your car. Leave out speakerphone when on the bus.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium