03-23-2016 04:56 AM
70 123
tools
    I have a sneaking suspicion that phones that are "MDMd" through work have updates disables so that admins can now control updates.

At my work, our MDM system has not been upgraded to support win 10. Several things are seemingly disabled by default. Examples: SD cards, Windows Feedback. With the release of Enterprise builds this would not be a surprise
    Last edited by sklinger83; 12-07-2015 at 09:40 PM. Reason: grammar
    12-07-2015 09:10 PM
    Having the same issue on my 950xl. Join fast, phone restarts, check updates, nada. Seems to be an issue with the insider app that only effects some. BTW worked fine on my old 925 so not sure what to do other than wait it out.
    Mark Kaplan likes this.
    12-07-2015 10:52 PM
    I cant install the insider update on my 950 xl international hk version. It downloads but doesn't install. Is it due to the fact I have a international version and im from the states.
    12-08-2015 03:31 AM
    same issues as everyone else. I bought my 950xl and set it up as a new device. Not getting anything.
    12-08-2015 08:01 AM
    Thanks man. I thought it was due to me having a hong kong phone and not a us one.
    12-08-2015 08:02 AM
    Same problem here. May try a hard reset today if I get a chance. Groan
    12-08-2015 09:26 AM
    Not working on my 950XL, either.
    12-08-2015 09:28 AM
    Experiencing the same issues. Would prefer to not have to do a hard rest though.
    aximtreo likes this.
    12-08-2015 09:30 AM
    Not working on my 950XL, either.
    would it be possible for other users who have the new load running on their 950XL say what region of the world they are in. From my observation its seams that some regions in Europe is getting the new build fine. But the rest of the world that have 950's are not getting it. I am in the USA and no new build as yet on the insider Fast ring. still on the release version of windows 10 for the 950XL.
    12-08-2015 09:42 AM
    I'm in the United States and got the update on my 950xl, but we have two other 950XL devices in our office that aren't getting the update.

This is being reviewed by Microsoft, it appears:
    https://twitter.com/NorthFaceHiker/with_replies
    Mark Kaplan likes this.
    12-08-2015 09:48 AM
    would it be possible for other users who have the new load running on their 950XL say what region of the world they are in. From my observation its seams that some regions in Europe is getting the new build fine. But the rest of the world that have 950's are not getting it. I am in the USA and no new build as yet on the insider Fast ring. still on the release version of windows 10 for the 950XL.
    I have a 950 XL Australian version. Phones just came out here on Monday and i picked mine up as soon as it was available. Having the constantly restarting issue when configuring as well.
    Mine's hooked up to corporate MDM as well (MaaS360). I'll try remove it tomorrow or have a look at tweaking MaaS360 admin settings (I'm the system admin).
    Was going to look at it once I got my free 200GB microSD for preordering but I might check sooner now. Might also be the reason I can't download the Australian keyboard...
    12-08-2015 09:52 AM
    I'm in the United States and got the update on my 950xl, but we have two other 950XL devices in our office that aren't getting the update.

https://twitter.com/NorthFaceHiker/with_replies
    Cool. Mine just keeps rebooting after seeing insider fast. As of it's not kicking in. Even this morning. Hope they fix it. Part of me is scared to do it now as maybe some units are different and may react differently to the build.
    12-08-2015 09:54 AM
    The Insider app underwent changes during the last revision that forces a reboot any time you select or re-select a ring. This is expected behavior and does not mean that you're missing any files. Quite the opposite in fact.

The reboot was put into place to force the device to check for compatibility and for configurations to ensure that all the necessary provisioning is in place.

In short: expected behavior, no cause for concern.
    920Walker likes this.
    12-08-2015 11:20 AM

/NorthFaceHiker/with_replies
    PS: I'm now registered on this site so I can reply here. I won't be as active here as I am on twitter, but if you share links from this forum to my twitter feed I'll try to check them out.

(Had to edit the original link as I don't have 10 replies here yet so I can't share links. Silly spam bots ruining it for everyone!)
    keithnet and Mark Kaplan like this.
    12-08-2015 11:28 AM
    PS: I'm now registered on this site so I can reply here. I won't be as active here as I am on twitter, but if you share links from this forum to my twitter feed I'll try to check them out.

(Had to edit the original link as I don't have 10 replies here yet so I can't share links. Silly spam bots ruining it for everyone!)
    Welcome!! https://mobile.twitter.com/NorthFaceHiker
    920Walker likes this.
    12-08-2015 11:36 AM
    Welcome!!
    Thank you!

(I have more to type about this issue, but I'm going to cheat a bit and type in another reply to get towards that 10 count I need!)
    12-08-2015 11:42 AM
    The Insider app underwent changes during the last revision that forces a reboot any time you select or re-select a ring. This is expected behavior and does not mean that you're missing any files. Quite the opposite in fact.

The reboot was put into place to force the device to check for compatibility and for configurations to ensure that all the necessary provisioning is in place.

In short: expected behavior, no cause for concern.
    Expected behavior would be that when you go back into the app you'd see that you are set for a particular ring so you then can remove yourself from the ring.
    12-08-2015 11:44 AM
    To get to the issue at hand (950's not "seeing" this update):

Here's what we know so far:
    - Some % Insiders have received the build.
    - An undetermined % of Insiders are not showing any updates available
    - This is affecting only 950 series devices
    - All research on our (MS) side so far has show the update pipeline to be in good shape and there are no logic/rules that would prevent these devices from seeing the Insider build

So what's happening right now?
    - Asking a few users (did it via Twitter) to backup & reset their device to see if this changes any on-device registry configurations that may be preventing checking for updates to the correct update service (Insider builds come from a different pipeline than standard Retail updates as you can imagine).

Definitely have the right Engineering folks engaged internally and this is getting lots of attention. I can't commit to a specific timeline for a fix unfortunately, namely because we don't fully know what the issue is at this time.

I may need a volunteer or two to install the Field Medic app and run some advanced update logging. I'll keep you all posted if that becomes necessary.
    12-08-2015 11:47 AM
    Im in the us and I have the 950xl from hong kong. The updates downloads but doesn't install
    12-08-2015 11:51 AM
    Im in the us and I have the 950xl from hong kong. The updates downloads but doesn't install
    That's definitely a different issue. Ping me on twitter with the error code and I'll check into it.

NorthFaceHiker is my Twitter handle as well.
    12-08-2015 11:54 AM
    Just to add my experience to this case, I have a 950 XL, it was not getting the preview build and could not download speech packs. I reset the phone using WDRT and both issues went away. I restored the profile from a backup both when I got the phone with the factory installation and after resetting it, so I assume that should not be an issue. Phone region and language are US, but I'm physically located in Europe.
    Mark Kaplan likes this.
    12-08-2015 12:01 PM
    Just to add my experience to this case, I have a 950 XL, it was not getting the preview build and could not download speech packs. I reset the phone using WDRT and both issues went away. I restored the profile from a backup both when I got the phone with the factory installation and after resetting it, so I assume that should not be an issue. Phone region and language are US, but I'm physically located in Europe.
    Definitely seems like there's a setting being changed during the reset that is fixing the issue. Reset seems to fix 100% of the time.

I'll share your feedback to the team. Appreciate it!
    12-08-2015 12:26 PM
    Expected behavior would be that when you go back into the app you'd see that you are set for a particular ring so you then can remove yourself from the ring.
    When I go back into the app, neither ring is selected. Your saying it should show I already joined fast ring?
    12-08-2015 12:29 PM
    When I go back into the app, neither ring is selected. Your saying it should show I already joined fast ring?
    Isn't that what you would expect if it was working? :) You need to be able to opt back out.
    12-08-2015 12:32 PM
    It won't show you on that screen. Here's how to test:

- Pick a ring, reboot phone.
    - Re-open app
    - Instead of re-picking a ring again, tap "..." and open settings
    - Check the About screen
    - It'll show you which ring the device is currently configured for.
    12-08-2015 12:33 PM
70 123