Issues configuring Windows Insider on 950XL

Corwin_Amber1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
So I bit the bullet and did the hard reset on my 950XL (MOID TMO-DE) (flashed it with WDRT), only installed Windows Insider App. I can now see the update and am downloading it. After installing, I will reset it once again and restore the previous backup (this backup ever only saw the 950XL, completely fresh).
Like Mark said, I would speculate that the Windows Insider app is unable to set the required keys / Configurations. If possible, this can only be remedied by an app update. Which takes hours at best, more like days. Which is NOT an option for true insiders, right? ;)

vincentw56

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I uninstalled the Windows Insider app. When I resinstalled it, it said it was restoring data. I wonder if that is why it isn't working. Anyone know how to install an app and NOT have it restore data?

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same issue here ? has anyone got a fix yet ? I've tried everything but hard setting my 950 and I really don't want to do that

sklinger83

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
I have a sneaking suspicion that phones that are "MDMd" through work have updates disables so that admins can now control updates.

At my work, our MDM system has not been upgraded to support win 10. Several things are seemingly disabled by default. Examples: SD cards, Windows Feedback. With the release of Enterprise builds this would not be a surprise

Last edited:

Exhibit13

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Having the same issue on my 950xl. Join fast, phone restarts, check updates, nada. Seems to be an issue with the insider app that only effects some. BTW worked fine on my old 925 so not sure what to do other than wait it out.

Deth_CrimsonX

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I cant install the insider update on my 950 xl international hk version. It downloads but doesn't install. Is it due to the fact I have a international version and im from the states.

jamrock60

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Not working on my 950XL, either.

would it be possible for other users who have the new load running on their 950XL say what region of the world they are in. From my observation its seams that some regions in Europe is getting the new build fine. But the rest of the world that have 950's are not getting it. I am in the USA and no new build as yet on the insider Fast ring. still on the release version of windows 10 for the 950XL.

Freddy Grande

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
would it be possible for other users who have the new load running on their 950XL say what region of the world they are in. From my observation its seams that some regions in Europe is getting the new build fine. But the rest of the world that have 950's are not getting it. I am in the USA and no new build as yet on the insider Fast ring. still on the release version of windows 10 for the 950XL.

I have a 950 XL Australian version. Phones just came out here on Monday and i picked mine up as soon as it was available. Having the constantly restarting issue when configuring as well.
Mine's hooked up to corporate MDM as well (MaaS360). I'll try remove it tomorrow or have a look at tweaking MaaS360 admin settings (I'm the system admin).
Was going to look at it once I got my free 200GB microSD for preordering but I might check sooner now. Might also be the reason I can't download the Australian keyboard...

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm in the United States and got the update on my 950xl, but we have two other 950XL devices in our office that aren't getting the update.

This is being reviewed by Microsoft, it appears:
https://twitter.com/NorthFaceHiker/with_replies
Cool. Mine just keeps rebooting after seeing insider fast. As of it's not kicking in. Even this morning. Hope they fix it. Part of me is scared to do it now as maybe some units are different and may react differently to the build.

NorthFaceHiker

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
The Insider app underwent changes during the last revision that forces a reboot any time you select or re-select a ring. This is expected behavior and does not mean that you're missing any files. Quite the opposite in fact.

The reboot was put into place to force the device to check for compatibility and for configurations to ensure that all the necessary provisioning is in place.

In short: expected behavior, no cause for concern.

NorthFaceHiker

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
I'm in the United States and got the update on my 950xl, but we have two other 950XL devices in our office that aren't getting the update.

This is being reviewed by Microsoft, it appears:
/NorthFaceHiker/with_replies

PS: I'm now registered on this site so I can reply here. I won't be as active here as I am on twitter, but if you share links from this forum to my twitter feed I'll try to check them out.

(Had to edit the original link as I don't have 10 replies here yet so I can't share links. Silly spam bots ruining it for everyone!)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos