Issues configuring Windows Insider on 950XL

EliteMikes

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
The Insider app underwent changes during the last revision that forces a reboot any time you select or re-select a ring. This is expected behavior and does not mean that you're missing any files. Quite the opposite in fact.

The reboot was put into place to force the device to check for compatibility and for configurations to ensure that all the necessary provisioning is in place.

In short: expected behavior, no cause for concern.

Expected behavior would be that when you go back into the app you'd see that you are set for a particular ring so you then can remove yourself from the ring.

NorthFaceHiker

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
To get to the issue at hand (950's not "seeing" this update):

Here's what we know so far:
- Some % Insiders have received the build.
- An undetermined % of Insiders are not showing any updates available
- This is affecting only 950 series devices
- All research on our (MS) side so far has show the update pipeline to be in good shape and there are no logic/rules that would prevent these devices from seeing the Insider build

So what's happening right now?
- Asking a few users (did it via Twitter) to backup & reset their device to see if this changes any on-device registry configurations that may be preventing checking for updates to the correct update service (Insider builds come from a different pipeline than standard Retail updates as you can imagine).

Definitely have the right Engineering folks engaged internally and this is getting lots of attention. I can't commit to a specific timeline for a fix unfortunately, namely because we don't fully know what the issue is at this time.

I may need a volunteer or two to install the Field Medic app and run some advanced update logging. I'll keep you all posted if that becomes necessary.

shinsenai

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Just to add my experience to this case, I have a 950 XL, it was not getting the preview build and could not download speech packs. I reset the phone using WDRT and both issues went away. I restored the profile from a backup both when I got the phone with the factory installation and after resetting it, so I assume that should not be an issue. Phone region and language are US, but I'm physically located in Europe.

NorthFaceHiker

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
Just to add my experience to this case, I have a 950 XL, it was not getting the preview build and could not download speech packs. I reset the phone using WDRT and both issues went away. I restored the profile from a backup both when I got the phone with the factory installation and after resetting it, so I assume that should not be an issue. Phone region and language are US, but I'm physically located in Europe.

Definitely seems like there's a setting being changed during the reset that is fixing the issue. Reset seems to fix 100% of the time.

I'll share your feedback to the team. Appreciate it!

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Expected behavior would be that when you go back into the app you'd see that you are set for a particular ring so you then can remove yourself from the ring.

When I go back into the app, neither ring is selected. Your saying it should show I already joined fast ring?

NorthFaceHiker

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
When I go back into the app, neither ring is selected. Your saying it should show I already joined fast ring?

It won't show you on that screen. Here's how to test:

- Pick a ring, reboot phone.
- Re-open app
- Instead of re-picking a ring again, tap "..." and open settings
- Check the About screen
- It'll show you which ring the device is currently configured for.

EliteMikes

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site

- Re-open app
- Check the About screen

Thanks for the instructions. I would have NEVER thought about checking configuration status in the about screen. Anyways, I'll give my phone a reset later if the issue hasn't been resolved.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site

- Re-open app
- Check the About screen

Thank you! That rules out the app. It shows I'm in the fast ring.

wp_ss_20151208_0001.jpg

Last edited:

Freddy Grande

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
So I checked my MDM settings and disabling/enabling the SD card allowed it to start working.

I performed a factory reset (from Settings > About) and restored my backup made minutes prior. As soon as the phone booted back in I checked regional settings and the keyboard actually downloaded and prompted for a restart in Phone Update.
Restarted and checked for updates and the new update is showing up straight away.

I recommend creating a backup, reset phone, restore backup, update!

TheBadGuy_88

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Did a hard reset because I wasn't seeing it and I must say after the update to .29 and waiting until everything installs this phone is much better!

sheldon cohn

May 15, 2015
Visit site
Yesterday of the day before had an article in Windows Central stating the carriers was holding
up the new update (29). for the 950 series. Checking with the carrier may have you go through
several people and still won't find the answer.
I never received the November update that went out to some people, but not everyone. It has to
be the way Microsoft coded the update that some phones didn't get it. They offered a tool to
force it, but last time I forced an update in that fashion I had to go back to the default and rebuild
it to get the update, which took several hours out of my day.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday of the day before had an article in Windows Central stating the carriers was holding
up the new update (29). for the 950 series. Checking with the carrier may have you go through
several people and still won't find the answer.
I never received the November update that went out to some people, but not everyone. It has to
be the way Microsoft coded the update that some phones didn't get it. They offered a tool to
force it, but last time I forced an update in that fashion I had to go back to the default and rebuild
it to get the update, which took several hours out of my day.

I'm not sure where you got that from but the Windows Central article talked about how Microsoft now BYPASSES the carriers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb