Screen casting (Miracast) without Continuum?

Hmoll1

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
There are some apps that aren't compatible with Continuum, like VLC.

Unfortunately, tt looks like I can only connect to my Wireless Display Adapter with Continuum (even if generically connecting from settings, rather than the Continuum app.)

But this prevents me from watching movies via VLC, since it's not yet compatible.

Anyway to old-style Miracast connect?

prjkthack

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
There is an option in Continuum's settings that you can set to either mirror or use independently (Continuum). I would assume you just change it to mirror and it would just do that.

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I have no problem connecting to my wireless display adapter, projector, or Samsung TV by using "Connect" under settings (I swipe in from top and hit expand) and choosing whichever device I want. It then just mirrors my screen and shows whatever I am doing at the time. I have not even attempted continuum yet.

bells0

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the answer, couldn't work it out last night. Works perfectly to my MS display adapter on my tv.

jklier

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I just tried this with my adapter and it works fine up until I exist from the settings screen. Then it jumps right back to continuum. Any way around this?

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I have no problem connecting to my wireless display adapter, projector, or Samsung TV by using "Connect" under settings (I swipe in from top and hit expand) and choosing whichever device I want. It then just mirrors my screen and shows whatever I am doing at the time. I have not even attempted continuum yet.

Ahhh. Under advanced settings. I didn't see that... thanks!

Just to be clearer... at least for me I needed more steps lol....

On W10 (950XL) When connected to the wireless adapter, goto Settings, System, display.... There is a box that says "Main Display", change to "Connected Display" to change the connected display settings. Then there is advanced menu further down to control whether you use continuum or mirror

I notice on my SP3 that still windows 8.1, it's quite clear once you're connected you go back to that to choose the style of connection to the display. So it's changed...

Last edited:

critta71

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
I am trying to cast to my xbox one from 950. Cant seem to get it to find the xbox even though I can find the xbox through smart glass. And I can cast to my xbox one from my windows 10 laptop so I know it works.. but not from phone.. any ideas?

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
There is an option in Continuum's settings that you can set to either mirror or use independently (Continuum). I would assume you just change it to mirror and it would just do that.

Thanks!

I couldn't find the advanced settings, they really hid it! It should really be a toggle right on the front, where the close continuum button is!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss