Anyone else having issues with autofocus in low light on 950xl?

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
My 950xl is having some serious autofocus issues in low light. I half hold the camera button and the image will come into focus. I then finish the press, and as the camera tries to take the picture, the camera app tries to refocus and fails nearly every time. I have found that the only way to be certain this doesn't happen is to manually focus shot in low light. I was going to attach some samples but this website doesn't play nice with Edge - which is ridiculous since it is a Windows focused site.

RealtorTechGuy

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
Yes I think I am noticing the same issue in both 950 XL and 950. Was trying to tale pic of our Christmas tree. So low surrounding light but the tree was lit up. Pics def were blurry.

mijacs

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 950 here. I get the same behaviour. It does make low light pics slow to take. I switch over to manual focus for a clear shot.

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys, well at least I know it isn't just my phone. I hope they fix this soon. Please be sure to leave feedback in the "Windows Feedback" app (or just upvote one that's already there for this issue)

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
try tapping on the screen where the focus point should be while you are framing the shot and see if it does a better job. It's still auto-focus but now you are giving it a "hint" on where it should be using as the reference point.

desaideas1

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
I'm also having to tap to focus on my subjects. I've set my video to be 4k, and it's coming out quite grainy...which kinda defeats the purpose (semi low light) But generally, pictures aren't half bad. Let's hope they can get some extra clarity and fix a few of these bugs.

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I am having the issue.

It is not a low light focus issue in general but more so when trying to take a picture of my Christmas tree in low light. I think it is because the Christmas tree has 100's of tiny lights on it confusing the focus.

Other low light situations have not presented a problem. Also if I turn on a background light then it focuses ok. I was able to get a some decent low light pictures of my tree by snapping the pic quickly when it did focus for a second or two before it went out of whack.

dkojevnikov

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
Yes, absolutely the same issue in low light and when I am taking pictures of my son (Lumina 950) inside at evening. Default camera app simply cannot take sharp picture with autofocus.
ProShot is much better by the way so it is definitely a software issue. But it does not save DNG and its jpeg rendering is very questionable.

anarkistsj

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Mines seems to have a lot of trouble focusing in any low light situation in which there are bright lights in the frame, i.e. A Christmas tree, lamp in background of dark room, eta... Camera could be great but so far the software optimization seems terrible...

schrags08

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm also having this exact same problem. I tap the screen to set focus, then try to take a picture, only to have it try to focus again and take a blurry, terrible picture. The worst part is that the first frame of the Living Image always looks awesome but the final photo always sucks. My Lumia 928 did not have this problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb