Connect 950 XL to PC?

sph0308

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
My 950 XL doesn't seem to be recognized by my W10 laptop. I am using the included USB Type C cable which came with the phone and connected to a functioning USB port. The phone chirps and shows that it is charging but I get no notification that the phone is there on my PC, it doesn't show up in file explorer and it doesn't show up in phone companion. It's almost like I am missing a driver. Help !

J F Stager

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
I, too, found this impossible. And frustrating.
In the past (Windows 8.x and previous Windows Phones before 950XL) this was automatic and transparent.
With Windows 10 and Windows Phone 10 there is a new step that seems to be required
1.On your Windows 10 PC, find the app "Phone Companion". It was alphabetized on my PC under letter P
2. Run the "Phone Companion" app. That's all there is to it.
You may have to be patient, now, while your handheld is "recognized" - mine only took a minute.
Now, using the Windows Explorer app you'll see your "Windows Phone" listed under "Devices and drives".
From this point it is the same as the good old days (prior to Windows 10).

real0395

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I, too, found this impossible. And frustrating.
In the past (Windows 8.x and previous Windows Phones before 950XL) this was automatic and transparent.
With Windows 10 and Windows Phone 10 there is a new step that seems to be required
1.On your Windows 10 PC, find the app "Phone Companion". It was alphabetized on my PC under letter P
2. Run the "Phone Companion" app. That's all there is to it.
You may have to be patient, now, while your handheld is "recognized" - mine only took a minute.
Now, using the Windows Explorer app you'll see your "Windows Phone" listed under "Devices and drives".
From this point it is the same as the good old days (prior to Windows 10).

Hm strange, I never had to do this with my lumia 950xl. It recognized it automatically/installed the drivers. In fact, I've never opened the phone companion app.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Hm strange, I never had to do this with my lumia 950xl. It recognized it automatically/installed the drivers. In fact, I've never opened the phone companion app.

Mine's the same, it recognizes it fine.
Performance is another story though, ever since the 200-series builds, browsing my phone to get pictures is almost un-usable. I've checked my USB driver chain for something odd, but haven't found anything. Other high-speed USB devices work great, are screaming fast, etc. Not so much my 950XL, it sometimes fails to enumerate, crashes explorer, etc, all while dragging along.

real0395

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Mine's the same, it recognizes it fine.
Performance is another story though, ever since the 200-series builds, browsing my phone to get pictures is almost un-usable. I've checked my USB driver chain for something odd, but haven't found anything. Other high-speed USB devices work great, are screaming fast, etc. Not so much my 950XL, it sometimes fails to enumerate, crashes explorer, etc, all while dragging along.

I haven't tried it in the new build yet, but in .318 at least I did notice file transfer speeds to be slow but didn't experience any crashes. The weird thing is that it would only really slow down at the end of the transfer like it got stuck on something, though the speeds before nearing the end could definitely be faster.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3