12-30-2015 01:20 AM
79 1234
tools
    How did windows 10 ruin your rear camera?
    The camera and photo apps interface are confusing and unintuitive to use. I've got no clue what's going on every time I take a photo. Sometimes, it takes live images. Some other times, it takes HDR pictures where I can adjust the lightning (Rich Capture). While in a lot of other instances, it takes normal, non-HDR and still pictures. And all of those happen without any adjustment from me. Before, I would just rather leave the phone in auto mode and it would take perfect or near-perfect photos. Now the colour profile feels rather dull and the pictures feel grainy. After noticing the seemingly strange behaviour of the camera, I've tried cleaning the glass on the camera and also tinkering with the camera settings. But no matter what I do, the quality of the pictures is subpar compared to Windows Phone 8.1 and NOKIA Camera.
    12-08-2015 10:56 PM
    After installing the update .29 I love this phone even more, I love the 950XL. Coming from the 1520, this is everything I want and need in a phone, great screen, battery is getting better and its removable, SD card, good processor and the best and most important thing is that I didn't have to go through a carrier, or a 3rd party to get it! YES.

Windows hello is SIGNIFICANTLY FASTER after this .29 update. It's really really fast.
    12-08-2015 11:48 PM
    I had a love hate with my 1520. Great phone, great camera, fantastic battery life. But just a hair too big. Also, the capacitive buttons kept going out, which I learned was due to the phone bending (siting with it in back pocket). The 950XL is the perfect size. Easy to handle and use with one hand. Battery life not nearly as good as 1520. Photos are a little better. Not missing the capacitive buttons at all given my prior experience. Also, cannot say enough about Hello.
    12-09-2015 12:09 AM
    After installing the update .29 I love this phone even more, I love the 950XL. Coming from the 1520, this is everything I want and need in a phone, great screen, battery is getting better and its removable, SD card, good processor and the best and most important thing is that I didn't have to go through a carrier, or a 3rd party to get it! YES.

Windows hello is SIGNIFICANTLY FASTER after this .29 update. It's really really fast.
    I wish I could get this update but my phone is sadly one of the victims of the non-update friendly phones. Right now hard reset is the only option and I'm going to wait a bit longer before I absolutely have to do that.

Did you have to reconfigure windows hello, i.e. retake the photos for it to work faster or it's just much faster after the update?
    TheBadGuy_88 likes this.
    12-09-2015 02:11 AM
    I wish I could get this update but my phone is sadly one of the victims of the non-update friendly phones. Right now hard reset is the only option and I'm going to wait a bit longer before I absolutely have to do that.

Did you have to reconfigure windows hello, i.e. retake the photos for it to work faster or it's just much faster after the update?
    If haven't done a hard reset since you got the phone, I recommend it.
    12-09-2015 02:21 AM
    I'm a long time user of WP and all were Lumia flagships. I've owned an 800, 920, 1020 and 1520 - the only flagship Lumia I haven't owned is the 930, and coming from a 20 month old 1520 daily driver I would say the 950XL is a great phone and better than the 1520. The only issue I had with the phone was during initial setup where restoring from a W10M insider build backup seems to really screw up the phone, so I did a hard reset and set up the phone from scratch and all the problems went away.

I have no problems with the build quality and choice of material for the 950XL, I think it is great and feels really good in the hand. The round corners are also more comfortable compared with the square pointy ones of the 1520. Losing the capacitive buttons is great - no more accidental activation of the search button. Battery life has also settled to what I was getting with the 1520 which is about 23hours according to battery saver, maybe more optimization can even improve it so more. Also maybe I was a lucky one but W10M on the 950XL, even before the latest point update, was much more smooth and stable than it was on the 1520 as well, I've not had a single random reboot on the 950XL, whereas I would get one on the 1520 maybe once every 2 days. Also Microsoft's promise of taming the SD810 heat issue with liquid cooling works, the phone gets warm but not hot like previous Lumias, considering this is the infamous "toaster chip" 810 that's a big achievement - this also shows that my theory that Sony's choice of glass backs - a heat insulator - for their Xperias hindered the effects of their heat pipes and thus still resulting in over heating issues is most probably correct - so another point for MS sticking with polycarbonate for the body, Thank you MS engineers for going for function over form.
    libra89 likes this.
    12-09-2015 03:39 AM
    I love the 950XL. I particularly like being able to replace the battery easily (great for travelling) and being able to extend the storage. The camera is amazing (coming from the 1020 and then the 1520, it's better than both) and the feel of the phone is great. I'm dismayed at the buggy state of practically all of MS's software these days, but I really enjoy Mobile 10, and I'm excited to see where it goes.
    12-09-2015 03:50 AM
    I'm a long time user of WP and all were Lumia flagships. I've owned an 800, 920, 1020 and 1520 - the only flagship Lumia I haven't owned is the 930, and coming from a 20 month old 1520 daily driver I would say the 950XL is a great phone and better than the 1520. The only issue I had with the phone was during initial setup where restoring from a W10M insider build backup seems to really screw up the phone, so I did a hard reset and set up the phone from scratch and all the problems went away.
    As I mentioned above and elsewhere a hard reset is highly recommended for 950/950 XL from the get go. I had the exact same experience.

Oh and don't use a backup restore for easy set up... reinstall everything from scratch.

Someone recommended this to me last week and since then, my 950XL has been running like a champ with the exception of battery life. I still have issues there.
    12-09-2015 11:06 AM
    While I don't yet have either of the new Lumia's, this thread made me happy :)
    Mihai Svet and Alroy Swain like this.
    12-09-2015 12:48 PM
    best lumia yet. I owned the samsung focus, 520, 820, 822, 920, 1520, and now 950xl
    12-09-2015 01:17 PM

Yeah you have to redo windows hello, you have to redo a couple of things but, it's much better. It is much better though. Not because of anything new, but because everything works. And is smooth. Every 950xl owner deserves to have .29 from a hard reset. That's a much better representation of what this phone is supposed to be.
    12-09-2015 06:05 PM
    for me, coming from a Lumia 930 running every build from the Windows Insiders Fast ring, I must say the 950XL is AWESOME!

Hardware just improved on every single point : camera (never though a smartphone camera would be so important) is just SWEEEEEEET, the screen is ridiculously good, the extra screensize needs a couple of days getting used to but for sure I don't regret getting the XL, continuum works really good (even though I haven't received the display dock yet and only used it wirelessly), Windows Hello works a charm (and I keep impressing friends with that ;)).

The only major issue I have right now is that Bluetooth is pretty much useless to me because when I enable Bluetooth and I get a phonecall (paired/connected or not doesn't matter), the phone reboots after 10-15 seconds so I have BT disabled. Again, makes my Band 2 and my carkit useless :(
    I hope they get a fix for this yesterday rather than tomorrow and then all will be SUPERDUPER :)
    libra89 and Alroy Swain like this.
    12-10-2015 03:51 AM
    I got my 950XL yesterday which replaced my tired, "pre-Denim" (thanks AT&T ) Lumia 920, and after playing with the phone for over 12 hours, I am a very happy camper!

Having waited a month to get the phone, I watched or read just about every review I could find. If one bases their opinion of the phone on what the reviewers say, you'd think this phone was a complete fail. There seems to be strong anti-Microsoft bias in Internet-land these day, even among Microsoft fans.

I'm happy to report that I haven't experienced any issues I've been reading about so far and I absolutely love the phone. I'm having no issues with getting LTE service, the Glance features all work like they used to on my 920, and I finally have a phone that is running Windows 10 just like my laptop and tablet are. I think it's very cool that my phone, my PC, and my tablet now all have the same look-and-feel.

To me, the only real issue with the 950 XL, or Windows Phone in general, is that the "app-gap" is very real. However, as a Microsoft .NET developer by trade, I am seeing signs of hope that some headway is going to be made in resolving the app-gap in the not-so-distant future. Just about every developer I've met that's used Visual Studio loves it (yeah, even the Java guys love it), and now iOS and Android developers can use it. In addition, UWP (Universal Windows Platform) makes it considerably easier for a developer to make one application that will work on all Windows 10 devices. I think that's huge because Windows PC's are still in the majority and so it now makes a little more sense for someone to develop a Windows 10 app because it can have a much larger audience than just a few Windows phones.

The app-gap certainly isn't going to close over night, but in the mean time, I think the 950 XL is a truly great "enthusiasts phone" and hopefully a stepping stone towards a bright mobile future for Microsoft.
    Last edited by PoorInRichfield; 12-13-2015 at 04:39 PM.
    12-12-2015 11:10 AM
    I was just looking to post on how much I love my 950XL and saw this thread. Every time I use it, I am super pleased with it. The look of it, to me, is that of a premium piece of hardware. I love the flat look of the OS and how crisp and clear the display is. This phone is impressing me in nearly every way and I have confidence that updates will iron things out nicely. I realize that something of this magnitude will have issues especially when compounded with the transfer of ownership to Microsoft.

I had a 1020 for a couple of years and that was the first phone that I have kept for that long. I've tried all of them and Windows Phone is the one for me. My wife a former iPhone user now has an 830 and likes it a lot. I was worried that when my 1020 broke and I couldn't get a replacement from MS, that I wouldn't be as happy. Glad to report that I am more than happy with the 950XL.
    Babs75 likes this.
    12-13-2015 08:48 AM
    i bought 950xl at 27/11 and have been using it for 2 weeks. very satisfactory. continuum helps me a lot in my work.
    12-13-2015 09:42 AM
    Tested it out and love it! Most of the forum people's complaints are SOFTWARE related which can be fixed easily via update. The only hardware issues is the plain design (which still looks nicer than a lot of iPhones and Samsung phones) and the creak sound some users are having. Really solid device overall, don't listen to the haters.
    12-14-2015 01:15 AM
    I tried too but I dont :(
    my 950xl has rejected me :) hehe
    12-15-2015 04:56 PM
    Got mine today from mobilephonesdirect. The phone is actually much nicer to hold than the dummy phones in store. Screen is great, and I got a continuum dock coming too. The Lumia gifts app said no offers available for around 1hr. I assumed it was because I didn't get the phone from MS or an official supplier. I happened to go back in after loads of store updates, boom! It was there. The screen is great, hopefully my battery life will be too. Quick charge is great, does exactly what it says on the tin. Got a Mozo tan/cognac case come next week. Also ordered a tempered glass screen. My son is now a very happy boy, gets my old 920 as his first phone.

My only gripe is Here Drive won't install, and the WC is a bit flakey too.
    telomoyo likes this.
    12-18-2015 04:54 PM
    I am one more very happy 950XL owner. This phone is amazing in many aspects. Windows 10 needs refinement, but the phone itself... just wonderful. For the first time I feel I can pull my phone out amongst IPhone and Samsung owners, and feel proud.
    Alroy Swain, david90531 and ak1520 like this.
    12-19-2015 02:10 AM
    I love microsoft lumia 950 Xl. cant wait to have one
    12-19-2015 05:30 AM
    Pulled mine out today, and some chap said, "oh, is that a Windows 10 phone?". He really liked it.
    david90531 and Joe920 like this.
    12-19-2015 12:53 PM
    Definitely getting lots of compliments on the phone too. Mostly complimenting the beautiful screen, camera, and some think it's very cool that it works almost just like a Windows 10 PC, and of course when I tell them about continuum they're quite impressed ;)
    Joe920 likes this.
    12-19-2015 01:38 PM
    Like this phone! Been on the droid wagon for the last years and at work we got iPhone.
    Think the design is nice, not over the top but very pleasing. Last windows phone I had was the Htc HD2, great design not so great windows though :)

This Lumia and windows 10 is awesomeness and I don't feel the app gap. The important apps I've found in the store and other stuff works in the browser.

Yea mine had squeaks but had some clock oil laying around, tiny drops in the lower corners wiped it down a bit and it's no more. Sure in a "premium" phone this is a no no but for me I just had to try fixing it. Love the phone to much not to! Perhaps the mozo back cover will be different also.
    Last edited by GnarlyBone; 12-19-2015 at 03:49 PM.
    TechAbstract likes this.
    12-19-2015 02:41 PM
    Could someone who got it from the US Microsoft Store tell me what their RM is?
    12-19-2015 02:58 PM
    Guys,
    I don't have Lumia 950XL, but I love this phone, specially for Windows Hello and Continuum, but I am using Windows 10 Mobile on my my Lumia 730 and my wife's Lumia 640 without having any issue.

My first Windows Phone was Lumia 800 from Nokia (before that Nokia 5800 and Nokia N8).

Only problem is Lumia 950XL is not a pocket (budget) friendly phone, but I would love to have one if anyone one willing to buy it for me.
    12-28-2015 09:21 PM
79 1234