I Love My Lumia 950 XL Thread

Brian McMahon

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Got mine today and I have to say it's stunning. What a machine it's like a homecoming if I am totally honest, that feeling you get when you just now something is right and where you should be.

Maybe i'm being too dramatic but from the moment you gaze at the screen it's just captivating. Stunning display and everything about the phone is just quality. Been around windows mobile since the HD2, had everything since then and still have a few 1020, 1520 and 930 kicking around just for good measure but always had android or ios as my main work phone, the 950 xl just eclipses anything on those platforms. I have an S6 edge as a work phone but even though aesthetically it is beautiful the 950 xl having not put it down for the last 4 hours is even more stunning. It just looks right and is so easy to handle.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Loving all the positive posts! Keep'em coming, this thread should be bigger than the complaints thread!

I forgot to mention that I've also been a WP believer since a long time ago. My first smartphone was the Nokia 5800 Xpressmusic (symbian), and then I switched to the Samsung Focus which was my first WP7. Loved that phone back then it was the best WP out there too I think. Too bad it magically disappeared whilst I was at a concert... And that's when I decided to get the Lumia 920, which lasted me till last month when I switched to the glorious Lumia 950 XL

Last edited:

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm coming from this:

8125.PNG

Yes, we have come a longs ways. I was blowing workmates away with my high-speed "Edge" web browsing. They marveled.

Fast forward to the present, I am watching a traditional Panamanian wedding with all the color and pageantry of their customs, and I captured full High Definition VIDEO, then quickly sent it to family in Texas within moments.

Stunning progress in a relatively short period of history. Stunning!

And having said that, I am convinced, that even if for a short while, the 950XL I hold in my hand is the current reigning example of what we have accomplished.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
its a breath of fresh air to see a positive based (and biased) thread...
thanks for this to all and to the OP
nice to see people who like what they got...

Babs75

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
I've had bluetooth phones in my car for a long time but never one that wants to read my text to me. That was a surprise. Maybe I'm behind the times.

Alroy Swain

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
absolutely loving my XL too, that camera! coming from 1020 and 930, I'm so impressed. Rich Capture ftw. Also just discovered the Gadgets app, automatically starting Spotify on Bose Bluetooth connection...nice. Honestly I can't fault anything, so not sure about all the negative reviews from last week.

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
After updating to 10586.29, today's standby has been very good! After 8 hours off charge, I am only down to 85% with minimal usage checking email, Facebook, Nextgen reader, Twitter for 30 mins. to an hour. That's less than 2%/hr. drain. Glance always on color. LTE only, no wifi, NFC and Location off.

Also, fully depleted battery before the update and fully charged. May have had a little to do with it.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I think I would love it (the 950XL), if I could get it on Verizon :-\

Dam you Verizon and Microsoft (you both have your blame on this one) !!!!

Loc Ngo

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
How did windows 10 ruin your rear camera?
The camera and photo apps interface are confusing and unintuitive to use. I've got no clue what's going on every time I take a photo. Sometimes, it takes live images. Some other times, it takes HDR pictures where I can adjust the lightning (Rich Capture). While in a lot of other instances, it takes normal, non-HDR and still pictures. And all of those happen without any adjustment from me. Before, I would just rather leave the phone in auto mode and it would take perfect or near-perfect photos. Now the colour profile feels rather dull and the pictures feel grainy. After noticing the seemingly strange behaviour of the camera, I've tried cleaning the glass on the camera and also tinkering with the camera settings. But no matter what I do, the quality of the pictures is subpar compared to Windows Phone 8.1 and NOKIA Camera.

TheBadGuy_88

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
After installing the update .29 I love this phone even more, I love the 950XL. Coming from the 1520, this is everything I want and need in a phone, great screen, battery is getting better and its removable, SD card, good processor and the best and most important thing is that I didn't have to go through a carrier, or a 3rd party to get it! YES.

Windows hello is SIGNIFICANTLY FASTER after this .29 update. It's really really fast.

Eaglefinder

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I had a love hate with my 1520. Great phone, great camera, fantastic battery life. But just a hair too big. Also, the capacitive buttons kept going out, which I learned was due to the phone bending (siting with it in back pocket). The 950XL is the perfect size. Easy to handle and use with one hand. Battery life not nearly as good as 1520. Photos are a little better. Not missing the capacitive buttons at all given my prior experience. Also, cannot say enough about Hello.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
After installing the update .29 I love this phone even more, I love the 950XL. Coming from the 1520, this is everything I want and need in a phone, great screen, battery is getting better and its removable, SD card, good processor and the best and most important thing is that I didn't have to go through a carrier, or a 3rd party to get it! YES.

Windows hello is SIGNIFICANTLY FASTER after this .29 update. It's really really fast.

I wish I could get this update but my phone is sadly one of the victims of the non-update friendly phones. Right now hard reset is the only option and I'm going to wait a bit longer before I absolutely have to do that.

Did you have to reconfigure windows hello, i.e. retake the photos for it to work faster or it's just much faster after the update?

Mark Morales

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I wish I could get this update but my phone is sadly one of the victims of the non-update friendly phones. Right now hard reset is the only option and I'm going to wait a bit longer before I absolutely have to do that.

Did you have to reconfigure windows hello, i.e. retake the photos for it to work faster or it's just much faster after the update?

If haven't done a hard reset since you got the phone, I recommend it.

houkoholic

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm a long time user of WP and all were Lumia flagships. I've owned an 800, 920, 1020 and 1520 - the only flagship Lumia I haven't owned is the 930, and coming from a 20 month old 1520 daily driver I would say the 950XL is a great phone and better than the 1520. The only issue I had with the phone was during initial setup where restoring from a W10M insider build backup seems to really screw up the phone, so I did a hard reset and set up the phone from scratch and all the problems went away.

I have no problems with the build quality and choice of material for the 950XL, I think it is great and feels really good in the hand. The round corners are also more comfortable compared with the square pointy ones of the 1520. Losing the capacitive buttons is great - no more accidental activation of the search button. Battery life has also settled to what I was getting with the 1520 which is about 23hours according to battery saver, maybe more optimization can even improve it so more. Also maybe I was a lucky one but W10M on the 950XL, even before the latest point update, was much more smooth and stable than it was on the 1520 as well, I've not had a single random reboot on the 950XL, whereas I would get one on the 1520 maybe once every 2 days. Also Microsoft's promise of taming the SD810 heat issue with liquid cooling works, the phone gets warm but not hot like previous Lumias, considering this is the infamous "toaster chip" 810 that's a big achievement - this also shows that my theory that Sony's choice of glass backs - a heat insulator - for their Xperias hindered the effects of their heat pipes and thus still resulting in over heating issues is most probably correct - so another point for MS sticking with polycarbonate for the body, Thank you MS engineers for going for function over form.

Bigfireq

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I love the 950XL. I particularly like being able to replace the battery easily (great for travelling) and being able to extend the storage. The camera is amazing (coming from the 1020 and then the 1520, it's better than both) and the feel of the phone is great. I'm dismayed at the buggy state of practically all of MS's software these days, but I really enjoy Mobile 10, and I'm excited to see where it goes.

Mark Morales

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm a long time user of WP and all were Lumia flagships. I've owned an 800, 920, 1020 and 1520 - the only flagship Lumia I haven't owned is the 930, and coming from a 20 month old 1520 daily driver I would say the 950XL is a great phone and better than the 1520. The only issue I had with the phone was during initial setup where restoring from a W10M insider build backup seems to really screw up the phone, so I did a hard reset and set up the phone from scratch and all the problems went away.

As I mentioned above and elsewhere a hard reset is highly recommended for 950/950 XL from the get go. I had the exact same experience.

Oh and don't use a backup restore for easy set up... reinstall everything from scratch.

Someone recommended this to me last week and since then, my 950XL has been running like a champ with the exception of battery life. I still have issues there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon