Very long time Android user thinking about trying out the Lumia 950 XL

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
It does, but... but why would you watch Youtube with a browser? The 3rd-party apps I've used are all good for watching Youtube. Unless, of course, you're bothered about sharing your info to 3rd-party devs, then I completely understand that.

Only reason to use the browser is because Cortana launches the web browser version after you search and select a video.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Not sure - I only use it for quickpay. For some reason, I'm guessing this is one of the missing features that an official app would give - but I can neither confirm nor deny.

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Hurm.. Tbh, watching YT videos through the browser burnt my eyes. The comments section takes forever to load, and the web UI looks messy (not sure if this happens only with IE. You can try using other browsers like UC Browser, Surfy, Maxthon, etc) and see if the experience differ . Also, no matter what are the pros and cons are of the various 3rd-party YT apps out there, they are definitely better than watching YT videos through the browser.

The sad part is the youtube web app looks exactly like Google's regular app. :p I've even walked customers through the android version of the app using the webapp. (Google does this for several of their services.)

itguyjax8430

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
The sad part is the youtube web app looks exactly like Google's regular app. I've even walked customers through the android version of the app using the webapp. (Google does this for several of their services.)
Google needs to step up and just make the apps available for WP10.

BrandonLiveuh

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
Do yourself a favor and try it on a lower cost Windows 10 phone like the 550 or even the $20-40 Lumia 640.
If you like the experience return the 550/640 whatever within 30 days and go get a 950/950xl.
It's hard to make an informed decision unless you actually experience it for yourself.
But in my opinion, $650 is too much to pay for a phone you don't know if you'll even like.

Jayddo

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
I'd been a huge Android user for years, changed to 930 first, 950 XL now.

I am not a very huge app user, I do not play games on my phone (I have serious desktops/gaming laptops for that) so while there were some apps here and there that were not available, I have not had much trouble adjusting.

I suggest keeping an android device as an "app device" so that if you really need something, you can have it. Any cheap tablet without sim works, it's just apps afterall. It would help the transition. As Windows 10 seems a good OS, I am pretty sure universal apps will get more and more light so all the important apps will receive more attention in the upcoming months, whether in the form of better updates or new apps.

I honestly bought a tablet just for hearthstone on mobile. It's not really fun on a 5'' slate anyway, so I went big for that, and as of today I only use it for Spotify on my car and Hearthstone. Spotify is available on WP but I'm not wasting my space there yet.

I would not trade my 950 XL for any other smartphone. It's not a matter of being able to afford it, for me, I just like it better than others, be it Android or iOS.

But my use-case may be different from yours, so I cannot guarantee you will have the same experience as me.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Having used WP for many years (Samsung focus, lumia 920, lumia 1020) but switched over to Android in mod 2014, if you're eager to give WP a shot I would highly suggest picking up a 550 or 640 model to test run. I loved WP7/8, 8.1 was a turning point I started to dislike the way things were going and I haven't actually used WP10. It's definitely an interesting OS with the cool start screen but you may think you can live without things from Android, when in actuality you can't. Just an FYI.

I still go to this forum to stay in touch and maybe one day return to WP... I get the whole idea of getting bored with the same OS, I swapped often for a few years before sticking to Android for the last year and half.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

itguyjax8430

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Do yourself a favor and try it on a lower cost Windows 10 phone like the 550 or even the $20-40 Lumia 640.
If you like the experience return the 550/640 whatever within 30 days and go get a 950/950xl.
It's hard to make an informed decision unless you actually experience it for yourself.
But in my opinion, $650 is too much to pay for a phone you don't know if you'll even like.

That is exactly what I did. I bought a Lumia 640 XL, it should arrive tomorrow and I will test it out on that phone.

itguyjax8430

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I am not a very huge app user, I do not play games on my phone (I have serious desktops/gaming laptops for that) so while there were some apps here and there that were not available, I have not had much trouble adjusting.

Yeah I have been researching around the forums to find alternatives to the apps I already use. I seem to have found some for most of the apps I use on Android.

I suggest keeping an android device as an "app device" so that if you really need something

I will still have my Nexus 6P as a back up and I have my Galaxy Tab S2 that I use everyday for the majority of my apps.

I would not trade my 950 XL for any other smartphone. It's not a matter of being able to afford it, for me, I just like it better than others, be it Android or iOS.

I think the phone looks great, if I like the experience I have with the 640 XL I ordered. I may order a 950 XL sometime next year or maybe something newer will come out in the time that I am testing.

itguyjax8430

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
would highly suggest picking up a 550 or 640 model to test run

My 640 XL should arrive tomorrow and that will be my testing phone. It doesn't have the greatest specs but I think it has good specs for the money I spend. Watching reviews out there on the phone, people refer to it as a "budget" phone. I think it is a little more than that, maybe a mid range phone. The specs aren't that bad on it IMO.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
My 640 XL should arrive tomorrow and that will be my testing phone. It doesn't have the greatest specs but I think it has good specs for the money I spend. Watching reviews out there on the phone, people refer to it as a "budget" phone. I think it is a little more than that, maybe a mid range phone. The specs aren't that bad on it IMO.

With WP it will be suffice to give you the experience, good luck let us know what you think.

itguyjax8430

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
With WP it will be suffice to give you the experience, good luck let us know what you think.

I will, I will probably write something up after a couple or few weeks of using it. Give my impressions and what not. I already know the app selection is not huge so I won't harp on that. Probably write about productivity and usability compared to my Android phones.

Greg Worley

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Long time android user, last was a Note 4. Picked up a 950 two weeks ago and have loved it. Haven't had any problem finding apps for everything I do and I haven't even thought once about going back. Probably the biggest draw is its pure simplicity, everything just works. I guess it helps too when you use everything in one eco system (Using Surface Pro 3 and just got a Band 2).

klaw81

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
App essentials:
Windows Central / UC Browser, Surfy, Opera (some web browser alternatives to Edge) Insider (battery stats and more) / 4castr (great weather app- radar live tile, weather warnings) / #1 Toolkit / 6tag / Aeries, Tweetium, Twitter, Fenice / AppRaisin / Audiotica / Chronos Calender / Facebook Beta (better than regular Facebook) / Gestures Beta (if works on your device model) / HERE apps / Lockmix / Melodia / myTube, Tubecast, MetroTube / Perfect Music / ProShot / Remote Mouse for Fire TV / Truecaller (note need to go into phone settings to fully config it correctly).

'Windows Insider' for up-to-date Windows 10 Mobile builds without waiting.

Lastly, 'Windows Feedback' - Let Microsoft know your issues with the OS and its apps. When posting your feedback, always good to end with 'Device Model, Current Build Number you are using that has the issue, your name'.

You will notice in the Windows Feedback app that many people put non-explained post, for example: 'Bluetooth' and no other info. Granted Microsoft should really clamp down on this in the Feedback app.

Hope this is helpful to all users from Android and IOS looking to try Windows 10 Mobile.
Like many in this wonderful forum, its all down to the apps that you require most...

Google and Apple sadly are Windows agnostic, very sad and childish, we may have low worldwide percentage, but the percentage is still into the low MILLIONs of users, not hundreds...

Keith

Last edited:

itguyjax8430

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Hope this is helpful to all users from Android and IOS looking to try Windows 10 Mobile.
Like many in this wonderful forumn, its all down to the apps that you require most...

Thanks for the information on the apps, I will definitely check them all out when the phone comes in. With the Facebook app do you prefer the app or is it easier to just use the mobile web version?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb