01-07-2016 02:18 AM
173 ... 4567
tools
    That's one of the things I love about W10. All my emails are neatly bunched into Outlook with just having to pick the account at the top,. No more searching through randomly separated emails and contacts like Google does. The other thing I love is not having to fight with the screen going black during phone calls or the numpad randomly disappearing like it does on my Samsung.
    Funny. I have the screen disappear on me on my 1520 and 640 all the time in phone calls. It has to do with the sensor for light getting covered. As far as the email organization, it is identical in Android except it rotates in landscape and gives me a preview pane for emails...not sure what is going on with your phone. Glad you found a solution.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    12-12-2015 02:12 PM
    No the S4 shutting off issue has been beaten to death and I've tried all the tricks with the proximity sensor. It turns off while near the face, in the hand, sitting on the table, everywhere. There are apps to stop it and force the screen to stay on but they are battery hogs and the battery is already only good for 4 hours of use. And no, my 950xl doesn't do any of those things.
    12-12-2015 06:12 PM
    Just got my 640 in, got 10 installed on it and working on app installs now. I am actually posting with it right now. So far it's been a little time consuming getting set up but I'm hanging in there.
    Laura Knotek and libra89 like this.
    12-12-2015 06:25 PM
    Just got my 640 in, got 10 installed on it and working on app installs now. I am actually posting with it right now. So far it's been a little time consuming getting set up but I'm hanging in there.
    Good luck! I hope it works out well for you.
    12-12-2015 08:03 PM
    cool how is it working out
    12-13-2015 03:47 AM
    From Android to WP to get rid of the Google ecosystem:

Google Maps - Here Maps (better than Google at street numbers, weaker at places) or Waze (it uses Google maps and has police radar and other info)
    Gmail - Outlook Mail (personally i find it better)
    Youtube - MyTube / TubeCast / Metrotube
    Music player - After trying few from the store i stopped at Core Player - I don`t use Groove Music because in Core player i can search a song in the playlist and play that song without affecting the playlist, on Groove it will change your playlist to only that song / album.
    Facebook - Sadly here the app sucks badly, the feed in People app is better than the feed in Facebook app but both have + -

Other people might come with variants for WP, in fact a thread with alternative apps for switching from Android to WP would be a + on WindowsCentral.
    12-13-2015 06:20 AM
    cool how is it working out
    So far so good, it's taking some getting use to but I'm figuring things out.

Still trying to figure out how to enable the battery percentage.
    12-13-2015 07:37 AM
    Do not buy Windows Mobile Phones.... it's a trap... run... run with your android device :D
    itguyjax8430 likes this.
    12-13-2015 09:02 AM
    So far so good, it's taking some getting use to but I'm figuring things out.

Still trying to figure out how to enable the battery percentage.
    You can't get the battery percentage directly in the status bar. The only way to see it quickly is to swipe down and back from the top (the percentage is underneath the battery icon in the action center.)
    12-13-2015 09:08 AM
    You can't get the battery percentage directly in the status bar. The only way to see it quickly is to swipe down and back from the top (the percentage is underneath the battery icon in the action center.)
    Gotcha, so it's kinda like a Nexus device situation. They don't put the battery percentage next to the battery.

I'll make due with just swiping down.

So far Windows 10 has been running pretty smooth. Trying out the different browsers this morning to see which one I like the best. The Edge Browser seems a little too slow for my liking. Not sure if it is because I am using a lower end device or the browser is just that slow. The UC Browser seems to do a lot better.
    12-13-2015 09:13 AM
    Gotcha, so it's kinda like a Nexus device situation. They don't put the battery percentage next to the battery.

I'll make due with just swiping down.
    There are tons of apps you can download that display battery percentage overlay battery icon on android, Windows has live tiles but they don't update nearly frequently enough. I don't get why this hasn't become a standard for all os by 2015...

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    12-13-2015 10:25 AM
    ..seeing the release of the Lumia 950 XL peeked my interest
    The word you're after is actually "piqued".
    itguyjax8430 likes this.
    12-13-2015 10:48 AM
    The word you're after is actually "piqued".
    Fixed.
    12-13-2015 11:25 AM
    I have been an Android user since pretty much day one of Androids release. Recently I have been fascinated by the new Windows Phone 10 and seeing the release of the Lumia 950 XL piqued my interest even more. Are there any Samsung Note 5 users here that have made the switch? What are you thoughts after the switch?
    I am a long time windows phone user. Been with them since the beginning. But I have always had an android too. I actually preferred the windows experience. When w10 was introduced earlier this year I moved my phones over. After a few months I gave up. I bought an iPhone 6plus, then a note 5. I was happy. I felt like a traitor but I was content. But I still watched windows phone. When the 950xl was offered for preorder, I resisted...for all of 10 seconds. My iPhone and note sit in a drawer. I have not used them since I got the xl....but...

I prefer live tiles. I'm not bothered by Edge. Continuum is cool. The OS update process, unbinded from carriers is good. All pluses in MY book..regardless of others experiences. But...

The iPhone and note have the same problems as windows phones are accused of..hangs, freezes, reboots. The media covers it by saying...but look at the apps. But...

I finally notice the app gap. Sure, I have most of what I used this year, but the apps are different. Social media apps are definitely a cut below others. I have my bank app, but lost the Starbucks app. I resort to using pinned web sites, which is ok in most cases. But...

Customization ...with android I got tired of not knowing how to do something. I found myself preferring to be mad at not being able to do something rather than not knowing how. But....

Finally...Google. For years people complained about the evil empire that was Microsoft. In many cases they were right. So much against Microsoft are they that they close a blind eye to Google. They are far more blatant that Microsoft ever was, and getting worse everyday. Trust at your own risk.

Just my thoughts...

PS
    itguyjax8430 and Mallguvner like this.
    12-13-2015 12:11 PM
    I am a long time windows phone user. Been with them since the beginning. But I have always had an android too. I actually preferred the windows experience. When w10 was introduced earlier this year I moved my phones over. After a few months I gave up. I bought an iPhone 6plus, then a note 5. I was happy. I felt like a traitor but I was content. But I still watched windows phone. When the 950xl was offered for preorder, I resisted...for all of 10 seconds. My iPhone and note sit in a drawer. I have not used them since I got the xl....but...

I prefer live tiles. I'm not bothered by Edge. Continuum is cool. The OS update process, unbinded from carriers is good. All pluses in MY book..regardless of others experiences. But...

The iPhone and note have the same problems as windows phones are accused of..hangs, freezes, reboots. The media covers it by saying...but look at the apps. But...

I finally notice the app gap. Sure, I have most of what I used this year, but the apps are different. Social media apps are definitely a cut below others. I have my bank app, but lost the Starbucks app. I resort to using pinned web sites, which is ok in most cases. But...

Customization ...with android I got tired of not knowing how to do something. I found myself preferring to be mad at not being able to do something rather than not knowing how. But....

Finally...Google. For years people complained about the evil empire that was Microsoft. In many cases they were right. So much against Microsoft are they that they close a blind eye to Google. They are far more blatant that Microsoft ever was, and getting worse everyday. Trust at your own risk.

Just my thoughts...

PS
    Thanks for the insight. I'm starting to dig the OS. There are a lot of apps that are missing for me but luckily most have mobile websites. I am just pinning them to my start screen. Still need to figure out how to make the tile custom to the site so I don't have a bunch of E's on my home screen. I am using the Facebook Mobile website as well. I have to say that Facebook really did a bad job with the WP version. I really don't see why they don't update it to look like iOS or Android. Seems a little lazy to me.

I think the only app I am really missing is my Hangouts app. I tried IM+ but it does not do group chats. I tried the website but it does not scale correctly. I'll just have to keep on trying to figure a workaround out. Right now I'm just carrying around my Nexus 6P for that sole purpose. Only while I'm at home, if I go out I just leave the Nexus at home.
    12-13-2015 02:56 PM
    Thanks for the insight. I'm starting to dig the OS. There are a lot of apps that are missing for me but luckily most have mobile websites. I am just pinning them to my start screen. Still need to figure out how to make the tile custom to the site so I don't have a bunch of E's on my home screen. I am using the Facebook Mobile website as well. I have to say that Facebook really did a bad job with the WP version. I really don't see why they don't update it to look like iOS or Android. Seems a little lazy to me.
    Facebook didn't make the app. Microsoft did. That could explain the difference.
    12-13-2015 03:02 PM
    Facebook didn't make the app. Microsoft did. That could explain the difference.
    Ah gotcha, well they really did a poor job.
    12-13-2015 03:03 PM
    That's one app I wouldn't know the difference between the Windows and Android versions, since I don't use it.
    12-13-2015 03:27 PM
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.

-Yoda

I think you'll like it.
    scionluna and alodar101 like this.
    12-13-2015 04:12 PM
    The Facebook Beta app is a bit newer code if you want to look at that....

I will tell you that there are a few third party developers that are working on a W10M app right now :)
    12-13-2015 04:24 PM
    My bet would be to wait a little. Let the official W10 mobile release be made. And dont listen to something thats gonna come in the future. Coz basically with windows its a hit or miss. Sometimes it will sometimes it wont and sometimes it will and wont be exciting. Its a wonderful OS but has its perks as its still in beta. Let those be ironed out.
    12-13-2015 10:57 PM
    I am not an android or Ios user. I have been win phone since the samsung focus...I like this phone a lot. Had a 920 til my xl came out. I have att...I can access voicemail. I have read reports of issues with visual voicemail, but as someone who doesnt want that anyway I have no complaints...Took a little bit to get used to the size of the phone, but I have become "one of those" people who isnt sure he can go back to a smaller phone again....egads that was a surprise when it hit me....
    I guess what I would say is welcome, hope you like your phone at least as half as much as I do....if you do then your gonna love it....
    12-14-2015 12:59 AM
    I have been an Android user since pretty much day one of Androids release. Recently I have been fascinated by the new Windows Phone 10 and seeing the release of the Lumia 950 XL piqued my interest even more. Are there any Samsung Note 5 users here that have made the switch? What are you thoughts after the switch?
    I would very much ask you to wait until Google is on board with Windows 10 mobile. Which is not going to happen any time sooner. Because, there are only replacements as of now and in some cases(like Youtube, Maps, etc), there are 3rd party apps only available. Youtube is well covered. But for Google Maps, the only client available is gMaps, a 3rd party app, which is kind of a little difficult to use. So your best bet is to use Here Maps or Microsoft Maps.

Hangouts is mostly not in Windows 10 mobile. A few apps does cover hangouts too. Again, instead of hangouts, you can choose skype or many other popular IMs.

But if hangouts, Maps are your thing, it will be best if you choose Android or iOS over Windows 10 mobile for now. In few words, if you rely heavily on Google for anything other than search, youtube or gmail, it will be best for you to stay on Android or iOS.

I would suggest you to feel the water first(by getting a low cost Windows 10 mobile first) instead of jumping right into the water(get a high end Windows 10 mobile and switch).
    12-14-2015 05:41 AM
    I would very much ask you to wait until Google is on board with Windows 10 mobile. Which is not going to happen any time sooner. Because, there are only replacements as of now and in some cases(like Youtube, Maps, etc), there are 3rd party apps only available. Youtube is well covered. But for Google Maps, the only client available is gMaps, a 3rd party app, which is kind of a little difficult to use. So your best bet is to use Here Maps or Microsoft Maps.

Hangouts is mostly not in Windows 10 mobile. A few apps does cover hangouts too. Again, instead of hangouts, you can choose skype or many other popular IMs.

But if hangouts, Maps are your thing, it will be best if you choose Android or iOS over Windows 10 mobile for now. In few words, if you rely heavily on Google for anything other than search, youtube or gmail, it will be best for you to stay on Android or iOS.

I would suggest you to feel the water first(by getting a low cost Windows 10 mobile first) instead of jumping right into the water(get a high end Windows 10 mobile and switch).
    I already ordered and received a used Lumia 640 XL. I already loaded Windows 10 on it and have started using it. The main app I'm missing so far is Google Handouts group chat. Other than that it's been a cool experience so far.
    12-14-2015 05:54 AM
    there is still hope, it is my understanding that Microsoft did the app on Windows Phone 8.1, they also did the current one in Windows Mobile 10, however Facebook have announced they will be doing a Universal app which hopefully should replace the current version which I assume is what Microsoft was working on until the Facebook announcement, it is based on the iOS one so with any luck it should actually be pretty good. :)

saying that I actually like the current app, it is missing some features but as far as I know it's the only mobile app where you can still sort the timeline by most recent instead of whatever the heck order Facebook decides it should be in.
    12-14-2015 06:07 AM
173 ... 4567