Very long time Android user thinking about trying out the Lumia 950 XL

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
On the topic of the best youtube client, I recommend MetroTube if you want a simple interface, myTube if you want a nicer UI with additional features albeit you are limited to 1 hour of video viewing for every 3 hours, in which you'd have to wait 10 minutes before being able to resume watching another 1 hour. TubeCast is free with no ads, great UI, and are compatible with its companion app, Tube360 or something that allows you to watch those 360 videos. It also provides limited casting for the free version, and unlimited with the pro version. Perfect Tube has a great UI and provides easy viewing of YT comments, if that's your thing, albeit with no background music playback. I tried all of the above, but went back to MetroTube because the UI is simple, and works flawlessly, along with the decent background playback for music. It has unlimited trial as well and you get all the feature in the free version.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Ah. I forgot I somehow got full version of mytube at some point that removed those limitations. That is one downside with third party apps, you have to pay for normal features.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Can we at least talk you in to waiting until a couple of cumulative updates for Windows 10 Mobile are released?

The app gap never kept me from suggesting Windows Phone over Android, unless a person just NEEDED Snapchat (...... >:-| ) or their bank's app (...understandable). That still applies. As a device, the 950XL is great, and W10M has a lot going for it, but I'm not sure I could excitedly encourage someone to make the switch until the bugs are squashed.

Just in case anyone didn't know - the chase mobile website works just as good as an app - and you can pin the site to your start screen, and its not much different than actually having an app.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Just in case anyone didn't know - the chase mobile website works just as good as an app - and you can pin the site to your start screen, and its not much different than actually having an app.
Is it possible to deposit checks using the mobile website?

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
The big thing to consider (as many have said before me) is whether or not the app gap is an issue to you.

For me it is not a big deal, because the apps that I would use on Android of iOS have "webapps" that I can simply pin or bookmark, including banks and Starbucks. (Might want that Band if Starbucks is your thing. ;) ) There are even apps that will hunt down the webapps for you. Snapchat? Honestly, I think my life is better (and my data plan is safer) by not having access to that.

The apps I do have I enjoy immensely due to the livetile integration. Why download a separate widget when the widget is right on your icon?

The app gap isn't as bad on games. Development kits like Unity support it to the point that you get the same experience on every mobile OS. (My husband is currently working on a game.)

So if the app gap doesn't concern you? Then here's what sold me: Windows Phone is extremely stable. Yes, even the Windows 10 builds. You'll be running it for weeks at a time without the slightest slowdown. And Windows 10 multitasks like a beast. (Well, open too many apps and it'll eat your battery like a beast, but every phone does that...)

So if you're wanting to get experimental and see what us oddballs love about it so much, come on down. :)

itguyjax8430

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
On the topic of the best youtube client, I recommend MetroTube if you want a simple interface, myTube if you want a nicer UI with additional features albeit you are limited to 1 hour of video viewing for every 3 hours, in which you'd have to wait 10 minutes before being able to resume watching another 1 hour. TubeCast is free with no ads, great UI, and are compatible with its companion app, Tube360 or something that allows you to watch those 360 videos. It also provides limited casting for the free version, and unlimited with the pro version. Perfect Tube has a great UI and provides easy viewing of YT comments, if that's your thing, albeit with no background music playback. I tried all of the above, but went back to MetroTube because the UI is simple, and works flawlessly, along with the decent background playback for music. It has unlimited trial as well and you get all the feature in the free version.

Does YouTube not work in the browser?

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
It does, but... but why would you watch Youtube with a browser? The 3rd-party apps I've used are all good for watching Youtube. Unless, of course, you're bothered about sharing your info to 3rd-party devs, then I completely understand that.

itguyjax8430

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
It does, but... but why would you watch Youtube with a browser? The 3rd-party apps I've used are all good for watching Youtube. Unless, of course, you're bothered about sharing your info to 3rd-party devs, then I completely understand that.

No, I was just curious if it did or not. Seems like a lot of the apps had their plus and minuses, figured if you use the browser to watch YouTube there might be a better free experience? If that makes sense.

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Hurm.. Tbh, watching YT videos through the browser burnt my eyes. The comments section takes forever to load, and the web UI looks messy (not sure if this happens only with IE. You can try using other browsers like UC Browser, Surfy, Maxthon, etc) and see if the experience differ . Also, no matter what are the pros and cons are of the various 3rd-party YT apps out there, they are definitely better than watching YT videos through the browser.

But if you must know more, you can google up some WP user polls regarding the best YT app (and most voted for myTube).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6