AUSTRALIANS: Lumia 950 XL/ Lumia 950 Waiting Game/ 1st Impression/ Review/ roblems

indianarash7

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Well I am based in Australia and have been waiting for this phone since long, ordered through Optus- Xbox Como - still waiting !!
If any one of you have received, please update!!

Waughy

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
Picked one up from Harvey Norman yesterday, only one in Newcastle (for them) according to their inventory. I've got limited net access and data allowance at the moment so it's not set up how I want it just yet, but it's enough for me to use. Still have a lot of updates to do as well. From the little time I've had with it I'm liking it a lot. Camera works well, although I've only taken a couple of quick snaps to test it out. Windows Hello works great, no trouble with it for me. Screen is very nice, and the OS runs very well on the hardware. Snappy and no loading/resuming screens.
The phone feels very nice, I picked this up to replace an iPhone 6+ and I don't think it feels cheap after a year with the metal bodied iPhone. It's not Galaxy S2-5 thin, cheap feeling plastic that's for sure.
I checked out apps before getting the phone (have had a 930 and 640XL in the past so already had an idea), and my most used ones are there in some form. The ones missing are ones I don't use often so won't miss them. Lost a couple of games, but picked up a few good ones, such as Siegefall and Plague inc (not much to this game but it's addictive). I've got an iPad so can still use the games/apps at home, so not a total loss. Hopefully the iOS bridge is a success and we see more apps come across, if universal apps aren't made.

Only issue I've come across so far is not being able to download the Australian keyboard (known issue), hopefully that's fixed soon. Double tap to wake would be nice and is said to be getting added sometime.
No free dock in the Lumia offers app, which is a bit of a letdown considering I bought the phone outright. Apparently Optus customers get the dock free, on top of the Xbox, lucky buggers. I would have jumped on the deal but unfortunately Optus service where we have just moved to is terrible. My wife is with them and she hates it.

Overall I'm happy. For the way I use my phones it will cover my needs nicely. I also have a Surface 3 and Xbox One, so that's a couple of other reasons I went for the Lumia and decided to give the iPhone a break. Whether that's temporary or permanent I'll see over the next few months with the 950XL.

zei20t

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
i got mine yesterday. Direct pre-order from MS.

Waughy: use the US keyboard. We use the same one. But stick to UK language, for the correct spelling.

Im liking the phone, Windows Hello has been fine for me. I put my glasses on today - forgot i need them - and it worked fine while wearing them.

Im not finding the issues people seem to have. Battery usage could be better, but i HAVE been using it a lot.

Id like to try the .29 update, i had an issue with Bluetooth this morning with my headphones when they just wouldnt work. rebooted both devices; no problems. same thing happened with my 1520, so im putting that one down to windows 10. continuum crashed when connecting to my wireless display adaptor. firmware is up to date on it too.

its nice and light. it doesnt look over the top - not sure what people were expecting. its simple, like a surface. doesnt need to have flashing lights etc. it works. i even used it as a phone!

just wish facebook was working better. facebook beta is easily 10 times better. but look too apple-ish.

also disappointed we didnt get a free dock - i ordered within 10 mins of the MS shop having the pre-order available.

im struggling to find bad items to list besides the battery............... TBH, if youve used win10 on other Lumias, you wont be upset.

Ohh, definitely start from scratch and dont restore from a backup when you first setup the phone. IMO a fresh start is better.

cdayo

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Got the xbox Optus combo - only gripe is inability to download Australian keyboard for text suggestions and swipe functionality - using UK keyboard instead for that.

zei20t

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
the UK keyboard is different, pound symbol instead of the dollar symbol - for example.

stick with the US keyboard and UK language.

indianarash7

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Got the xbox Optus combo - only gripe is inability to download Australian keyboard for text suggestions and swipe functionality - using UK keyboard instead for that.

I am still waiting for that, do u remember how may xboxes were left when u ordered?

SteveSAPA

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Well I am based in Australia and have been waiting for this phone since long, ordered through Optus- Xbox Como - still waiting !!
If any one of you have received, please update!!

I received mine with the Xbox on Monday. This phone is unbelievable. I love it. Not sure what all the people are complaining about. I haven't found any bugs yet except for the Australian keyboard. Windows hello works perfectly, even when is pitch black. You wouldn't know it was in beta.
I did have an issue with Optus cancelling my order and Xbox without informing me but after complaining and not taking no for an answer they have it to me.

indianarash7

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
i got mine yesterday. Direct pre-order from MS.

Waughy: use the US keyboard. We use the same one. But stick to UK language, for the correct spelling.

Im liking the phone, Windows Hello has been fine for me. I put my glasses on today - forgot i need them - and it worked fine while wearing them.

Im not finding the issues people seem to have. Battery usage could be better, but i HAVE been using it a lot.

Id like to try the .29 update, i had an issue with Bluetooth this morning with my headphones when they just wouldnt work. rebooted both devices; no problems. same thing happened with my 1520, so im putting that one down to windows 10. continuum crashed when connecting to my wireless display adaptor. firmware is up to date on it too.

its nice and light. it doesnt look over the top - not sure what people were expecting. its simple, like a surface. doesnt need to have flashing lights etc. it works. i even used it as a phone!

just wish facebook was working better. facebook beta is easily 10 times better. but look too apple-ish.

also disappointed we didnt get a free dock - i ordered within 10 mins of the MS shop having the pre-order available.

im struggling to find bad items to list besides the battery............... TBH, if youve used win10 on other Lumias, you wont be upset.

Ohh, definitely start from scratch and dont restore from a backup when you first setup the phone. IMO a fresh start is better.

I have not updated my current Lumia 1520 to Windows 10, was wondering if its a better Idea to restore my content viz. txts, or do a fresh start?? In other words will a fresh start restore my txt msges.

SteveSAPA

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I have not updated my current Lumia 1520 to Windows 10, was wondering if its a better Idea to restore my content viz. txts, or do a fresh start?? In other words will a fresh start restore my txt msges.
You will still have your text messages with a fresh start as long as you use the same Microsoft account.

indianarash7

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Well in my case Optus made the delivery date to 7th Jan by themselves. I have been calling them multiple times re delivery date! Finally they have agreed to send me by 10th - desperately waiting.

Waughy

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
the UK keyboard is different, pound symbol instead of the dollar symbol - for example.

stick with the US keyboard and UK language.

Hold the pound symbol and you get a menu with other options, including the $. I'll give the US keyboard/UK language a go.
This has been a problem for months now with the AU keyboard, you'd think it would have been sorted by now.

zei20t

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
Hold the pound symbol and you get a menu with other options, including the $. I'll give the US keyboard/UK language a go.
This has been a problem for months now with the AU keyboard, you'd think it would have been sorted by now.

ahhh i didnt know that! thanks!

there is probably no downloadable AUS keyboard because we actually dont have an Australian keyboard.

cdayo

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Available for 919AUD at valuebasket.com.au if wanna by cheap and outright with 2 years local warranty!

They are a scam company. I tried to buy something from them and they kept delaying for a month and making stupid excuses and it wasn't until I threatened to go to ACCC did they refund me.

Waughy

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
ahhh i didnt know that! thanks!

No problem. Beats the stupid US spelling corrections too.

there is probably no downloadable AUS keyboard because we actually dont have an Australian keyboard.

No problem. Beats the stupid US spelling corrections too.

A few people on the Whirlpool forums are saying they've got it, but have had to do hard resets to get it. I'm not starting over just yet for the sake of a keyboard.

No update for me yet either.

zei20t

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
yeah I'm not hard resetting either. only had it 2 days and don't want to use another night setting it up.

they will work it out. might take a few days

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss