AUSTRALIANS: Lumia 950 XL/ Lumia 950 Waiting Game/ 1st Impression/ Review/ roblems

cdayo

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I did a hard reset on both 950 XL and 950 - both received the update without being on insider preview and also both downloaded the Australian keyboard no drama :)

cdayo

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Wow that definitely did pull out the messages! Thanks dude. I wonder if they just automatically get saved when somewhere in the cloud when you do a "backup". Surprised I can pull out just the SMS messages rather than all the other settings and apps with a clean install. So good.

Andrew Whitby

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Well, I am disappointed but I want to stick it out because I love my 930.

Issues :angry: :
- Overheating and excessive battery usages, as in it drains over 20% in an hour when sitting idle and remains hot. When it's charging I'm scared the house will burn down and it takes forever to charge.
- Issues sending/receiving SMS, seems to have fixed itself now, but the hole process seems buggy and it's not bringing my SMS's across from the update.
- Next to none of the Windows Phone 8.1 apps work, they just crash when I open them, I was under the impression that they were compatible.
- This one I am blaming on CBA, but their bank app is the original one from WP7 and now WP8.1, and it crashes.

- The phone is beautiful, I thought I was going to be a bit disappointed that it was plastic, but M/S has pulled it off, it doesn't try to hide the fact that it is.
- Feels sturdy, yet impressively light.
- Windows Hello, well Hello you little beauty.
- USB C cable and charger !
- Small screen mode
- Turn the messaging app on it's side and it's great.

Any thoughts or ideas for my issues ?

As others have said it was a little disappointing about not getting the dock, but I did get a free 200GB microSD from Harvey Norman because I pre-ordered, so I think that is a good little bonus.

Cheers Guys

cdayo

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Well, I am disappointed but I want to stick it out because I love my 930.

Issues :angry: :
- Overheating and excessive battery usages, as in it drains over 20% in an hour when sitting idle and remains hot. When it's charging I'm scared the house will burn down and it takes forever to charge.
- Issues sending/receiving SMS, seems to have fixed itself now, but the hole process seems buggy and it's not bringing my SMS's across from the update.
- Next to none of the Windows Phone 8.1 apps work, they just crash when I open them, I was under the impression that they were compatible.
- This one I am blaming on CBA, but their bank app is the original one from WP7 and now WP8.1, and it crashes.

- The phone is beautiful, I thought I was going to be a bit disappointed that it was plastic, but M/S has pulled it off, it doesn't try to hide the fact that it is.
- Feels sturdy, yet impressively light.
- Windows Hello, well Hello you little beauty.
- USB C cable and charger !
- Small screen mode
- Turn the messaging app on it's side and it's great.

Very strange, most if not all my 8.1 apps are working - CBA included! I suggest do a hard reset and then before doing anything else - go check for updates and update to the latest build. Then also download the australian keyboard settings. THEN see how you go with regards to those issues! Battery life will improve substantially - it HAS to. The battery is 3340mah for crying out loud. Give it some time haha.

Andrew Whitby

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Very strange, most if not all my 8.1 apps are working - CBA included! I suggest do a hard reset and then before doing anything else - go check for updates and update to the latest build. Then also download the australian keyboard settings. THEN see how you go with regards to those issues! Battery life will improve substantially - it HAS to. The battery is 3340mah for crying out loud. Give it some time haha.

Cheers for the tips,

I already did a hard reset prior to going to bed last night and let it do it's thing overnight. I spoke to Harvey Norman today, as the bloke I bought it off got the exact same phone yesterday, he hasn't had any issues, so he said take it for a week and if it doesn't improve they'll do a DOA swap out.

As for Keyboard settings I didn't even think to look a that... I'll give it try.

What version of CBA app do you have running? I have the WP7 installed, I've tried re-installing numerous WP 8.1 apps, same result hanging at the 'loading...' screen then crashes back to start.

As for the latest build, is that .29? It's been trying to download it for over an hour... and we are at 0% still hahaha.

I will give it some time, obviously during setup the battery is going to cop a hiding, but what concerns me is it's running hot and chewing battery during standby with nothing running (ie, I only let things download over WiFi).

Cheers for the help though.

steven-w

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
New here, I received my 950xl mon direct from MS. I swapped from Android and have been quite happy. Am unimpressed by the fact we don't get dual sim or free dock. Feel like screwed in O yet again.
Otherwise my battery lasting well got home tonight (13hr day) and battery only at 47%. Works well with Band 2.
As an android user am finding some limits to customising (cant decrease volume of notifications and keeping volume of ringer loud) but otherwise not having any teething updates

cdayo

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Cheers for the tips,

I already did a hard reset prior to going to bed last night and let it do it's thing overnight. I spoke to Harvey Norman today, as the bloke I bought it off got the exact same phone yesterday, he hasn't had any issues, so he said take it for a week and if it doesn't improve they'll do a DOA swap out.

As for Keyboard settings I didn't even think to look a that... I'll give it try.

What version of CBA app do you have running? I have the WP7 installed, I've tried re-installing numerous WP 8.1 apps, same result hanging at the 'loading...' screen then crashes back to start.

As for the latest build, is that .29? It's been trying to download it for over an hour... and we are at 0% still hahaha.

I will give it some time, obviously during setup the battery is going to cop a hiding, but what concerns me is it's running hot and chewing battery during standby with nothing running (ie, I only let things download over WiFi).

Damn. I legitimately am not having any of those issues. After I hard reset - the latest update was found instantly (not on insider preview) and started downloading within 2 minutes - as in the % started increasing. And the rest is history. Maybe the CBA app will be more stable after this update? I can't say I used it prior to installing the latest update... I'm not sure what version it is - couldn't really find it within the app. But this is the link to it - https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...apps%2Fcommbank%2F9wzdncrcwmfl&token=QWM_dSSH

Also, my phone does not run hot on standby... It got warm when downloading and installing the update - but it was also downloading store apps in the background haha. Also I have NBN at 100mbps - maybe that made a difference?

cdayo

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
New here, I received my 950xl mon direct from MS. I swapped from Android and have been quite happy. Am unimpressed by the fact we don't get dual sim or free dock. Feel like screwed in O yet again.
Otherwise my battery lasting well got home tonight (13hr day) and battery only at 47%. Works well with Band 2.
As an android user am finding some limits to customising (cant decrease volume of notifications and keeping volume of ringer loud) but otherwise not having any teething updates

Welcome. You will may miss some apps. But this OS has superior potential - besides most things are done through a browser anyway. Keep in mind the OS is still young and will only improve - if it is true that microsoft can deliver updates bypassing carriers you are going to be in for a good time!

cdayo

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Cheers for the tips,

I already did a hard ........................

I just noticed - ARE YOU USING THE 200GB SD CARD? There have been many reports that SD cards are causing some grief at the moment - particularly with apps crashing and even causing phone reboots - I strongly suggest hold off on installing any apps on to the card for now - or even just take it out altogether until a couple of updates roll through!

Andrew Whitby

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I just noticed - ARE YOU USING THE 200GB SD CARD? There have been many reports that SD cards are causing some grief at the moment - particularly with apps crashing and even causing phone reboots - I strongly suggest hold off on installing any apps on to the card for now - or even just take it out altogether until a couple of updates roll through!

Nope no card, hasn't come in yet. Thanks for the heads up.

Nope that's the app on my 930, but it's a completely different one in the store on the XL, it's just a link to their mobile banking page.

Well the situation has gotten worse, it's now giving me a pop up saying the phone is nearly out of storage, yet indicates only 10.9GB used...

I've got ADSL 2+ and everything is going fine there, but it won't download the update or the keyboards.

I'll let it go overnight and see what happens...

cdayo

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Nope no card, hasn't come in yet. Thanks for the heads up.

Nope that's the app on my 930, but it's a completely different one in the store on the XL, it's just a link to their mobile banking page.

Well the situation has gotten worse, it's now giving me a pop up saying the phone is nearly out of storage, yet indicates only 10.9GB used...

I've got ADSL 2+ and everything is going fine there, but it won't download the update or the keyboards.

I'll let it go overnight and see what happens...

Very odd that we are seeing two different commbank apps in the store! I would try one more hard reset (don't restore previous backup) if nothing happens overnight and then go straight into phone update check

zei20t

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
I can confirm all my 8/8.1 apps work also for me. CBA app works fine.

AFAIK, any 8/8.1 app that doesnt work isnt available to download in the store

Andrew Whitby

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Very odd that we are seeing two different commbank apps in the store! I would try one more hard reset (don't restore previous backup) if nothing happens overnight and then go straight into phone update check

Well, it's like the damn thing had an epihany last night ... all apps are now working and it's returned to the normal CommBank app (but still showing a different one in the store).

Having the occasional crash or hanging period now, but everything seems to be running smoothly. Like it will crash when you go to add a photo in whatsapp for example, but not all the time, I would think that is because it's not be optimised for W10M yet.

However, battery is still a big issue, was on charge from 11:00pm till 7:am this morning, pulled it off the charger and it had 71% charge, it's now down to 20% and is running warm. Battery Saver estimated 2 hours and 42 minutes remaining this morning at 71% charge. It's warm in my pocket, like notice it's there warm, and as soon as I use it gets hot. Any thoughts for this one?

On a site note, Groove is amazing, as is the W10M and I love it...

SteveSAPA

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Well, it's like the damn thing had an epihany last night ... all apps are now working and it's returned to the normal CommBank app (but still showing a different one in the store).

Having the occasional crash or hanging period now, but everything seems to be running smoothly. Like it will crash when you go to add a photo in whatsapp for example, but not all the time, I would think that is because it's not be optimised for W10M yet.

However, battery is still a big issue, was on charge from 11:00pm till 7:am this morning, pulled it off the charger and it had 71% charge, it's now down to 20% and is running warm. Battery Saver estimated 2 hours and 42 minutes remaining this morning at 71% charge. It's warm in my pocket, like notice it's there warm, and as soon as I use it gets hot. Any thoughts for this one?

On a site note, Groove is amazing, as is the W10M and I love it...

Mine is charging at almost 25% per hour so its fully charged in about 4 hours. Maybe there is something wrong with your battery or charger?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte