Its not much but I can feel it (default case/back)

I did try to Google/Bing this but no real solid answer
    I am going to regret asking this im sure hehe :)
    12-07-2015 02:46 PM
    It's so you don't accidentally trigger it to lock screen. You can feel it out. :)
    12-07-2015 02:48 PM
    Another way is to use a case with the buttons exposed. The edge of the case gives a point of reference to your fingers so you can feel which ones are the volume buttons. I just received Jack Spade case from MS store. Very elegant case and serves the purpose too.
    12-07-2015 04:31 PM
    So it looks like this is by design then :)
    Shame its bugging the OCD demon inside me hehe
    thanks for replys
    12-08-2015 04:57 AM
    Most likely by design. Probably the same principles as designing a remote control. You can find the buttons in the dark or without looking just by the feel.
    12-08-2015 08:54 AM
    It's almost certainly by design and I'm glad they did it. The three buttons are ridiculously close together and this helps you distinguish between them.
    12-08-2015 04:00 PM
    I felt the volume buttons stuck out too much from the phone and in the dark it made it more difficult to work out where the power was. I am not sure why they thought it was a good idea bunching those 3 buttons together. 930 positioning is much better.
    Last edited by hingethunder; 12-09-2015 at 01:59 AM.
    12-08-2015 05:41 PM
    I felt the volume buttons stuck out too much from the phone and in the dark it made it more difficult to work out where the power was. I am not sure why they thought it was a good idea bunching those 3 buttons together. 930 positioning is much better.
    I actually prefer it this way to my Lumia 830. Once you get used to it, it's much quicker to do things like take screenshots. It's also easier as you don't have to change hand placement for any of the buttons. Given how large the phone is it makes sense. My thumb would not be able to reach the volume if it was way at the top like traditionally.
    12-10-2015 02:50 PM
    I find the button layout one of the biggest mistakes with the Lumia 950XL, it's like the designers didn't try it first before sending the phone to mass products.

Would have been better to keep the two buttons closer together.

In response to the initial question, yes the button is slightly recessed compared to the volume buttons, but hardly noticeable.
    12-11-2015 04:47 AM
    I find the button layout one of the biggest mistakes with the Lumia 950XL, it's like the designers didn't try it first before sending the phone to mass products.

Would have been better to keep the two buttons closer together.

In response to the initial question, yes the button is slightly recessed compared to the volume buttons, but hardly noticeable.
    I actually quite like the button layout. Makes perfect sense to me because I know, in the dark, what button is up and what button is down, using the middle button as a reference point.
    12-11-2015 05:56 AM
    Having used a 920 for three years the button layout is perfect for me :) as it is the same. There again if in a years time or so the Surface phone comes out with different buttons I may well be in trouble...

Being able to tell which way up and which button is which without being able to see is a good idea in my view.
    12-11-2015 06:15 AM
    For you guys who don't like the button placement. Do you want them to put buttons at the top like the others? Have you seen the size of this phone? I'm thinking they put them together for one handed operation. I love the way it is.
    12-11-2015 08:55 AM
    That's the design, to distinguish power button and vol +/- buttons by your fingers, although I do not think it's a smart design, why not just putting power button away, leave it alone......
    12-11-2015 10:23 AM
    Fair point, never looked at it that way. My hands are not that big so I always have to adjust my hand position to press the button which isn't ideal
    12-11-2015 11:09 AM