12-10-2015 05:18 PM
30 12
tools
    UPDATE 2: New 950 XL in my hands! Thanks to Dominique and Tim at the Microsoft Store! Also thanks to the rep I talked to on the phone as well, sorry I forgot your name!

UPDATE: See post #24

Step one: Be me on vacation in July 2015. Drop 1520.3 on side of mountain and shatter it into a billion pieces. No new flagship coming anytime soon. Have backup Lumia 640, maybe I'll use that.

Step two: buy 640 XL, decide it's too slow, buy another 1520 (ATT version without Qi), decide I shall suffer until November.

Step three: Pre-order 950 XL as soon as possible, get the phone on Nov 24th. Love it, cherish it, take on it's last name as my own.

Step Four: Try to use camera one day 2 weeks later, find out it's not working. Hmm, a reboot will fix this, still not working. Hmm, a factory reset? Still no luck.

Step Five: take an hour drive to the closest Microsoft Store. Confirm what I already know, it's a hardware issue. Store can't give me a replacement since they have none in stock. Told to submit a repair request online.

Step Six: Call other store within reasonable driving distance. Never get to talk to someone actually in the store. Takes three tries to get a rep willing to help. Store #2 has no 950 XLs in stock.

Step Seven: Submit online repair request. Receive email immediately stating:

We are experiencing some system difficulties in completing your repair request. As soon as the issue is sorted out, the relevant information will be sent to you via email.

Step Eight: Wait 5 hours, get curious and call customer care. Told request was received and to wait 3-5 hours.

Step Nine: wait 24 hours. Still no email. Reach out on twitter to @LumiaHelp. run through all the troubleshooting steps again even though I made it clear in the beginning store said it was bad. No help, just told to resubmit my request again.

Step Ten: Talk to customer care again. Slightly more helpful this time. Say request has failed for some reason. That it will be escalated to the proper department and that they will contact me in 48 to 96 hours. Know from past experience when someone says this, it almost never happens.

Step Eleven: Sit here fondling my $650 camera-less phone wondering if it'll ever get fixed. Hide under my desk at work and weep softly.
    Last edited by mattdistro; 12-09-2015 at 09:33 PM.
    12-08-2015 11:31 AM
    I cross my fingers for you!
    12-08-2015 11:35 AM
    Try to use camera one day 2 weeks later, find out it's not working. Hmm, a reboot will fix this, still not working.
    Can you describe what happens? Do other camera apps work, e.g. ProShot?
    12-08-2015 11:46 AM
    Step one: Be me on vacation in July 2015. Drop 1520.3 on side of mountain and shatter it into a billion pieces. No new flagship coming anytime soon. Have backup Lumia 640, maybe I'll use that.

Step two: buy 640 XL, decide it's too slow, buy another 1520 (ATT version without Qi), decide I shall suffer until November.

Step three: Pre-order 950 XL as soon as possible, get the phone on Nov 24th. Love it, cherish it, take on it's last name as my own.

Step Four: Try to use camera one day 2 weeks later, find out it's not working. Hmm, a reboot will fix this, still not working. Hmm, a factory reset? Still no luck.

Step Five: take an hour drive to the closest Microsoft Store. Confirm what I already know, it's a hardware issue. Store can't give me a replacement since they have none in stock. Told to submit a repair request online.

Step Six: Call other store within reasonable driving distance. Never get to talk to someone actually in the store. Takes three tries to get a rep willing to help. Store #2 has no 950 XLs in stock.

We are experiencing some system difficulties in completing your repair request. As soon as the issue is sorted out, the relevant information will be sent to you via email.

Step Eight: Wait 5 hours, get curious and call customer care. Told request was received and to wait 3-5 hours.

Step Nine: wait 24 hours. Still no email. Reach out on twitter to @LumiaHelp. run through all the troubleshooting steps again even though I made it clear in the beginning store said it was bad. No help, just told to resubmit my request again.

Step Ten: Talk to customer care again. Slightly more helpful this time. Say request has failed for some reason. That it will be escalated to the proper department and that they will contact me in 48 to 96 hours. Know from past experience when someone says this, it almost never happens.

Step Eleven: Sit here fondling my $650 camera-less phone wondering if it'll ever get fixed. Hide under my desk at work and weep softly.

Have you tried resetting your phone with the windows phone recovery tool via usb?

I have found this is much better then using the generic about.. Reset phone option.
    12-08-2015 11:50 AM
    Can you describe what happens? Do other camera apps work, e.g. ProShot?
    Here's the error from Windows Camera

cvtezywueaaabzn.png

Other camera apps just lock up when trying to access the camera
    12-08-2015 12:15 PM
    Have you tried resetting your phone with the windows phone recovery tool via usb?

I have found this is much better then using the generic about.. Reset phone option.
    Been there, done that.
    Chung Wei Leong likes this.
    12-08-2015 12:16 PM
    Here's the error from Windows Camera. Other camera apps just lock up when trying to access the camera
    Ugh, that sucks. It's a long shot, but in the off chance that something is going wrong with the save location, maybe change where photo's are saved. "Settings > System > Storage > New pictures will save to.." I fear it won't help because it's not trying to save anything when you launch the camera, but who knows. Other random option, take out the battery for a few minutes. Yet another random thought: disable Windows Hello, which I think also uses the camera.
    12-08-2015 12:36 PM
    Been there, done that.

Have you tried soft resetting your phone (power button and volume down together until vibrate then release).
    12-08-2015 01:41 PM
    Have you tried soft resetting your phone (power button and volume down together until vibrate then release).
    Yep, did that at the MS store
    12-08-2015 02:00 PM
    Here's the error from Windows Camera

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CVtezYWUEAAabzN.png 
Views:	89 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	118528

Other camera apps just lock up when trying to access the camera
    I got that error on my 925 once, after I dropped it. The camera had come disconnected slightly. Had to open the back and re-sit the connector. I'm guessing you haven't dropped or roughly handled your phone?
    ven07 and RumoredNow like this.
    12-08-2015 02:08 PM
    I got that error on my 925 once, after I dropped it. The camera had come disconnected slightly. Had to open the back and re-sit the connector. I'm guessing you haven't dropped or roughly handled your phone?
    Haven't dropped it, but I've wondered myself if this is what happened. I'm not sure I'm brave enough to try taking it apart to see.
    ven07 likes this.
    12-08-2015 02:18 PM
    i remember my wifes N9 had this very same error - worded the same also...
    it was a hardware issue with connections to the camera...
    12-08-2015 03:25 PM

Have you tried beating it senseless on a desk? That's worked for me on multiple devices...
    12-08-2015 09:50 PM

Off topic slightly, but may I ask how so exactly? I've always thought a hard reset or may even two was as good as it gets. If I could benefit from actually re-flashing more....
    12-08-2015 10:14 PM
    Have you tried beating it senseless on a desk? That's worked for me on multiple devices...
    If that does not work, I might suggest throwing it into a wall. It will provide immediate catharsis.
    12-08-2015 10:24 PM
    Seriously? Just take it back. Either that or melt into a puddle of butter.
    12-09-2015 12:53 AM
    Haven't dropped it, but I've wondered myself if this is what happened. I'm not sure I'm brave enough to try taking it apart to see.
    Not sure if I have the balls to take apart a $650 phone, but if it's under warranty and you have the tools... Why not? :D

*casually leaves link here while whistling (take me out to the ball game)*
    libra89 and jmshub like this.
    12-09-2015 01:01 AM
    My two cents--don't even think about taking apart a phone under warranty. Where did you get it from? Did you purchase direct from Microsoft? See if you can get a human on the phone and raise Holy H**** until you get to speak to a manager or someone who will tell you what you need to know. But, here's the trick, do it politely! Don't insult the people on the phone. Just be very firm and tell them you are not waiting any longer. If this is not resolved immediately you are reporting this to the Better Business Bureau and the state's attorney general's consumer protection office.
    12-09-2015 08:26 AM
    My two cents--don't even think about taking apart a phone under warranty. Where did you get it from? Did you purchase direct from Microsoft? See if you can get a human on the phone and raise Holy H**** until you get to speak to a manager or someone who will tell you what you need to know. But, here's the trick, do it politely! Don't insult the people on the phone. Just be very firm and tell them you are not waiting any longer. If this is not resolved immediately you are reporting this to the Better Business Bureau and the state's attorney general's consumer protection office.
    I like the approach (and I feel badly for Matt) but out of stock is, well... out of stock. That said, the store ought to be able to prioritize a replacement. Stuff happens; store employees/management just need to deal with it professionally. Unfortunately, I've found "calling the store" rarely connects you with someone IN THE STORE--it's maddening--and MicrosoftStore.Com tends to be an... unfulfilling experience (to be polite).

Best wishes for a happy end to this nightmare. I've grown to really enjoy my 950xl (after 10586.29!)
    ven07 likes this.
    12-09-2015 11:25 AM
    I am going to guess that the flex cable connecting the camera module to the motherboard is either bad or never even clicked into place correctly to begin with...
    ven07 likes this.
    12-09-2015 11:46 AM
    Exactly what do you think that will accomplish if they don't have a replacement phone? All it will do is raise tension to still end up with a phone with no camera till there is a replacement available.

Not saying I wouldn't be plenty pissed off in the situation, but without the local store having a phone to replace it with nothing is going to happen for at least a few more days.
    12-09-2015 11:59 AM
    Seriously? Just take it back. Either that or melt into a puddle of butter.
    My thought exactly.

Priv screen goes up
    12-09-2015 12:14 PM
    My thought exactly.

Priv screen goes up
    I wish the Priv had a better keyboard, i like the phone.
    12-09-2015 02:58 PM
    Good news everyone!

So I did get contacted by Microsoft Mobile Support, but I was at work and they just left a voicemail saying to call them back.

I didn't call them back because I had pretty much decided just to return the device and buy another one to make things quicker.

What I did do was call the Microsoft Store to verify I wouldn't have any problems returning it. I got a super nice rep (that called me hun) and I explained what was wrong and she asked for my name and number and said to hang on. She conferenced in the manager at the store I'm closest to and he said that he was going to put a replacement on hold for me and stow it in the managers office. So I'm picking up a new 950 XL tonight!
    ven07, libra89, Jazmac and 3 others like this.
    12-09-2015 04:00 PM
    You are very right on how they say you'll be contacted within a timeframe and it never happens. I have had several issues and or sup[port cases in the last month or so and never got contacted within proper timeframes. I always had to follow up myself.

and as for their "escalation team", they might as well not exist. Nothing is escalated or ever given any special treatment above other cases. Claiming "Escalation" seems to be a verbal strategy to make people calm and feel like things are going to be taken care of in a batter manner, when in actuality they're not going to do anything you can't already do yourself.

The "Escalated" conclusion will probably just be to try and submit another replacement request.

Source: Multiple very recent experiences with MS Support
    ven07 likes this.
    12-09-2015 04:04 PM
30 12