Continuum + visual studio?

tweedie

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I am slightly confused what exactly Continuum is capable of. I believe you will have a full pc once you dock the 950xl with monitor and keyboard and can run any windows software (maybe just win10 app?). so... does that mean I can run visual studio (doubt it would be pro/community, maybe code version) with nodejs and mongodb, etc on the 950xl?

Can Continuum handle that? is the performance good enough?

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
From the start everyone at MS who has talked about Continuum has been careful to call it a "PC-like experience" to minimize this kind of confusion. I guess it wasn't enough.

mbrdev

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Visual Studio Code could be ported as a universal app since its cross platform, but without debugging support I'm guessing. When we get Redstone and an Intel based phone full VS might be possible, but VS is a heavy bit of software, performance would likely be terrible running on a phone, though I'm still very excited to try it out if it becomes possible. This is undoubtedly the direction Microsoft wants to take with mobile, but the timeframe that we will actually get it could be 2017 so for now its just a pipe dream...

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
This could easily become the same PR nightmare as Windows RT.

"It looks like a PC, what do you mean I can't run Photoshop?" (or Quake or Visual Studio or...)

Microsoft needs to be real careful here and make it blindingly obvious what kind of apps work with Continuum.

The current advertising tag is "the phone that works like a PC" which is fine. If they tried to call it "the phone that can replace a PC" well we all know that ain't true.

tweedie

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, thanks everyone for responding. Slightly disappointed as it almost fooled me that its a full pc and would highly unlikely that nodejs/mongodb will be able to be used on the 950xl. Also hearing that you can only run one app at a time on Continuum

mbrdev

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Hmm, thanks everyone for responding. Slightly disappointed as it almost fooled me that its a full pc and would highly unlikely that nodejs/mongodb will be able to be used on the 950xl. Also hearing that you can only run one app at a time on Continuum

The current version is great for email, internet, office, social and media consumption. Updates will come for things like snapping 2 apps on the screen. But for the real goal of continuum to be achieved it will need new hardware with intel chips.

PhilWitt

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
“If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's a duck!”― Robin Cook, Crisis

I too initially thought this was more PC than it actually is but now that I understand I'm OK with what it is actually accomplishing. For what it's worth I've had people confused after purchasing a chrome book and ask me why they can't install windows programs on it.
There is a very subtle paradigm shift happening with how we define a PC and what people actually NEED from a 'PC'.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos