Showstopping Windows 10 Mobile problems absolutely ludicrous. Completely dilapidates Lumia 950 XL.

anon(5346951)

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Sooo...

Starting from Thursday the 10th my 950 XL is completely unusable. The phone that I have waited over a year for and which I have just spent ?520 on is completely unusable.

I am an advocate for everything Microsoft but this is really just testing me far too much.

Without me doing anything at all, half way through the day my phone does this:

• Draining battery at about a percent per minute
  • Getting excessively hot
  • Iris scanner stops working
  • Fast charging stops working
  • Auto brightness erratic
  • Low storage messages despite 20GB free
  • Store updates not downloading
  • Phone update not downloading

I have no idea how Microsoft could have ruined my phone to this extent remotely when an update hasn't installed yet. Ironically I was hoping the update was going to fix issues but now I can't download it.

My daily driver that I depend upon has essentially completely failed. I am worried that by leaving it on I could be causing permanent hardware damage thanks to it heating up so much that you can smell silicon. THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED URGENTLY.

Through countless little problems that I have had to endure on Windows 10 Mobile I have just gritted my teeth and carried on but this has removed every little last ounce of trust that Nokia had maintained for me over the years. I am literally lost for words that an experience can be this bad on a flagship phone commanding a flagship price in 2015. So much for appeasing the fans, let alone growing the business. All this debacle is doing is driving the few people who have been patient enough to stay to finally rid themselves of trouble.

I'm just going to list a few of the other problems I have had. I'm not even mentioning all the aggravating UI inconsistencies. And this is by no means an extensive list. I genuinely don't have the time.

• Iris scanner only tries to recognise me about a third of the time
  • Battery life very variable day to day

• Microsoft Edge:
  • Doesn't have Wordflow
  • When I close a tab the URL remains from it in the remaining open tab
  • When loading a page occasionally it is hidden by the suggestions box not minimising

• Messaging:
  • Missing a considerable number of SMS's from last month
  • Some messages have duplicated
  • Occasionally can't send a text

• Alarms: despite an alarm being deleted and not on my phone it still goes off

• People: some contacts have lost their profile images

• Calendar: when selecting date from week view to add new event it doesn't have that same date

• Store: slows to a crawl whilst downloading things

• Settings: when rotating phone orientation the keyboard pops up for no reason

• Microsoft Band: notification tile on Band for action centre doesn't update

• General:
  • Apps sometimes get dotted outline boxes around menu elements
  • Loading splash screens in 1st party apps

Uncled1023

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Have you taken it in to the store to have it replaced? Sounds like a defective unit. The problems you described are not in the norm, but serious issues.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
did you restore from backup when you got the phone? if so, do a hard reset and do a "green field" configuration without restoring the backup and see if it behaves better.

Uncled1023

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
did you restore from backup when you got the phone? if so, do a hard reset and do a "green field" configuration without restoring the backup and see if it behaves better.

I can confirm. After I did that my battery life improved and other random issues disappeared. I think there is an issue with loading from a backup that was from a phone that at one point ran 8.X.

Rising Mos

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Try reseting your phone and don't restore. I know it is a pain but I think it will solve a lot of the big issues you are facing.

Andrew Whitby

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Sooo...

Starting from Thursday the 10th my 950 XL is completely unusable. The phone that I have waited over a year for and which I have just spent ?520 on is completely unusable.

[*]General:
[*]Apps sometimes get dotted outline boxes around menu elements
[*]Loading splash screens in 1st party apps
[/LIST]

WOOP, someone who is having the same experience as my, I am rather annoyed I dropped AU$1127 on this phone and it's unusable. It's getting replaced next week.

I.E restoring the phone but not brining over a back up, will I not loose all my text messages etc? Like I could probably do with an app clean out so that would be good, but I don't want the text messages gone.

Cheers

stnley

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
My wife's 950 and my 950XL are having the exact same issues:

?Draining battery at about a percent per minute
?Getting excessively hot
?Iris scanner stops working
?Fast charging stops working
?Auto brightness erratic
?Low storage messages despite 20GB free
?Store updates not downloading
?Phone update not downloading

These issues started about 1 day ago on both of our phones. Before this they were working fine since we got them. I got my wife's 950 on release day, and the 950XL the day before Thanksgiving. I believe this is not an issue with the hardware. I have no idea what is going on though. :angry:

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
My wife's 950 and my 950XL are having the exact same issues:

?Draining battery at about a percent per minute
?Getting excessively hot
?Iris scanner stops working
?Fast charging stops working
?Auto brightness erratic
?Low storage messages despite 20GB free
?Store updates not downloading
?Phone update not downloading

These issues started about 1 day ago on both of our phones. Before this they were working fine since we got them. I got my wife's 950 on release day, and the 950XL the day before Thanksgiving. I believe this is not an issue with the hardware. I have no idea what is going on though. :angry:

sounds like the issue started approximately when the update would have rolled out to all 950/950XL's. Perhaps whatever software glitch that caused the update to fail for some phones is also to blame for this behavior...and the phone is perhaps stuck in some sort of loop trying to get the update which is spiking the cpu and causing system components to fail?

Andrew Whitby

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
sounds like the issue started approximately when the update would have rolled out to all 950/950XL's. Perhaps whatever software glitch that caused the update to fail for some phones is also to blame for this behavior...and the phone is perhaps stuck in some sort of loop trying to get the update which is spiking the cpu and causing system components to fail?

Mine was having issues from when i turned it on, then, after 4 failed attempts and 12 hours it updated and it didn't solve the issue.

Cheers

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
WOOP, someone who is having the same experience as my, I am rather annoyed I dropped AU$1127 on this phone and it's unusable. It's getting replaced next week.

I.E restoring the phone but not brining over a back up, will I not loose all my text messages etc? Like I could probably do with an app clean out so that would be good, but I don't want the text messages gone.

Cheers

Test messages back up separately.

Uncled1023

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site

Cheers

Text backup is separate from the regular backup that you restore from.

Rising Mos

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Yes. You don't have to restore to get your text back. Note however that you will lose your messages in some apps such as WhatsApp (I hate that they don't have a robust backup system).

Andrew Whitby

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Yes. You don't have to restore to get your text back. Note however that you will lose your messages in some apps such as WhatsApp (I hate that they don't have a robust backup system).

I already have, it took a day for the apps to actually work, all WP8.1 app would just hang on the loading screen, now they have none of the date.

So basically if I hard reset just log in and start fresh ? What about the update to .29 will I need to do that again?

Cheers

egold70

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Probably a software "bug" causing 100% constant CPU usage and high battery drain, nothing else would work in this state
Did you try soft reset(Volume- and power) to see if it fixes the endless loop?

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
My 950 exhibited some of the same behavior when it tried to download and install that first update. It burned my battery down and shut off over night, even while it was on my Qi charging pad. It got really hot for a while. But the update installed and everything is ok now.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Ok factory reset no restore is actually the best way to go. It seems backups from older builds mess things up. May be backups from 8.1 do something similar.

Also take note of the firmware version as there have been instances where people have a lower firmware version than my phone does.

System > About: Firmware revision number.

Mine is 15454.29005 and my phone has been running like butter.

Some of the things you mention are software only like the edge leaving the URL in. And that does happen to me too.

If we really want to identify why some units are having issues and others are not we need to keep track of things like firmware.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Never ever ever ever purchase software or an electronic device when it is brand new to the market. Problem solved. There are always major software and hardware problems during the first 6-12 months with any new technology products. Why subject yourself to the torture?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro