Is audio from Lumia 950XL supported through display dock / hdmi cable?

Mark Morales

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I can't seem to get audio from my 950XL hooked to a display dock then to a monitor with hdmi cable. I thought that was working before but now I'm second guessing whether I ever tried this before. Does anyone know if audio is supported through the display dock / hdmi cable or is something wrong after today's display dock update to 4.0?

Thanks!

Edit: Audio plays through the phones speakers and not through the monitor's speakers.

Mark Morales

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I finally found my answer... oddly, audio from 950XL through display dock / hdmi depends on monitor resolution...

"Do both HDMI and DisplayPort outputs also support audio?

Yes, both HDMI and DisplayPort support audio. This feature depends not only on the capabilities of your monitor or TV, but also on the resolution of the video you’re viewing.

For example, if your monitor supports CEA resolutions, then you would typically get a 1080p (Full HD, 1920 x 1080) video with audio.

However, if your monitor only supports VESA resolutions, then you can use resolutions up to 1200p (WUXGA, 1920 x 1200) but without audio. The reason being is that the VESA standards do not support audio."

Microsoft Display Dock - Do both HDMI and DisplayPort outputs also support audio? ? Troubleshooting ? Questions and Answers - Microsoft - USA

Can't get the link to work in the forums. Hold on...

Last edited:

pvcleave

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for this. When I saw your first post, I was a little worried. So I tried it over the weekend on my HDTV. My work setup does not do audio, mainly because there is no audio on the monitor. However, I also wanted to use this for movies when I travel on business. I found once I turned the volume up on my TV, it worked. (Wife always turns audio off).

Mark Morales

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for this. When I saw your first post, I was a little worried. So I tried it over the weekend on my HDTV. My work setup does not do audio, mainly because there is no audio on the monitor. However, I also wanted to use this for movies when I travel on business. I found once I turned the volume up on my TV, it worked. (Wife always turns audio off).

There is still something not right about this. According to the Display Dock support FAQ... "However, if your monitor only supports VESA resolutions, then you can use resolutions up to 1200p (WUXGA, 1920 x 1200) but without audio. The reason being is that the VESA standards do not support audio."

The problem I have with this is that all other computers, tablets, laptops and even my Surface Dock that I've hooked up to my ASUS ProArt 1200p monitor via HDMI, have all been able to push audio and 1200p graphics no problem. Why can't the 950XL with Display Dock do the same? The FAQ claims that at the 1200p resolution that the VESA standards don't support audio yet all my other devices have no problem with it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes