Do you recommend 950xl?

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
What apps that are heavy on the battery even in background tasks? Can you remove those built in apps like xbox app( I dont have an xbox), groove music( since i use spotify app)? In windows 10 desktop you can remove those build in apps in command prompt. If yes I might get this tommorrow..

You can't remove xbox or groove music but you can set whether they are allowed to run in the background. Honestly the xbox app is great and if you have a lot of games a good place to go and run them instead of pinning them. I pin all my games into a single folder. I have 34 games in my live folder. I just tap it and it expands with all my games. Everyone does things differently. And xbox live uses your MS account so it's nice to login to games using it. You can then challenge your friends and see your achievements and even build an avatar. It's actually an interesting app and the future is more promising as today you can stream games from xbox one to the pc using xbox app, in the future I believe the goal is to be able to stream it to phone from xbox and your pc.

Anyways, the if you buy a unit now it will likely have the latest firmware, and my battery lasts pretty long. It will only get better as MS has shown that builds consistently helped battery out. There is absolutely no doubt that as you use the phone and updates come things will get better. MS apps are constantly seeing updates too. So if battery is your only issue, it really won't be a big deal. In fact, you can just use it for a while and return it. I believe here if you buy from the store you have 30 days to return it. With fast charge you don't need to even dedicate that much time to charging it. It really does charge super fast.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
If you are a power user, used Windows phones for a while, then yes. It's an absolute beast, better than any WP previously.
If you are a new user or recent user of WP, then absolutely not. Too many bugs and issues.

Helder Costa1

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
a have mine for more than a week now and no problems with battery! by night it goes down about 3% wich is allright... go for it its a fantastic device no doubt. just turn of the apps you don?t want to run in background and it gets much better.

Tushar Thakur

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Have been using it for almost a week now and already thinking about returning it back. Some of the key issues -
1 - Gets very very hot while charging and using it for more than 10 mins
2 - Battery life - Okay its fast charging, large battery, but it doesn't last for more than 8-10 hours for me. Now that doesn't complete my day
3 - Overall Windows 10 is still buggy and not a finished product. A few notifications I got and clicked on, didnt turn up anything. Multitasking puts a huge pressure on the phone it freezes and becomes extremely hot
4 - Camera is actually 16 MP if you are clicking in 16:9 aspect ratio. Even on 4:3 its 19 MP and not 20 as Microsoft claims/sells. Tricking customers to buy MS?
5 - Windows Hello - another joke added by Microsoft against the already established finger print scanner on other devices. Hello is still buggy, doesn't work with glasses on (which is a big no for me) and you look like a fool staring at screen to unlock. I have turned it off and using the good old pass-code typing instead.
6 - Overall build is okay, although doesn't feel like holding a flagship device, but that's more of a personal preference.
7 - Last and most important - Its losing signal. Here by losing I mean it goes from bull 5 bars to no network found. Mostly happens when you close a call or there is a call waiting. Most probably some interrupt conflicts with the radios, which my Nokia used to handle pretty well 15 years back.

I am not saying its a bad device, it (combined with Win 10) just feels like its in a beta phase right now. Hope this helps.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Battery lasts fine for me.
Mine doesn't overheat (never even gets mildly warm).
Mine doesn't reboot.

gmfeld

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Just, do a hard reset first and foremost before you set anything up, for some reason, that helps... A lot.

Why do a hard reset with a brand new phone out of the box? Also, coming from my ATT 830 using insider build .11, should I use "restore" to get all my apps down and set up, or do I need to do a clean install one by one and set each one up from scratch?

sheldon cohn

May 15, 2015
Visit site
A 2 SIM phone can be used if the business your working at has a separate phone carrier then the
one you use. SIM 1 slot would be for your carrier and slot 2 for the carrier the business uses. That
way you only need one phone for work and yourself. You could use 1 SIM for a private line and the
other SIM for anyone else.
If you have only a single slot for a SIM card, with the same situation, you would need another phone.

sheldon cohn

May 15, 2015
Visit site
It sounds like you didn't get a new phone out of the box, more likely you got a used phone. If you
reset the phone, you login with your Windows live account and all will be restored. Then go to
the Store and look for my library, all your apps should be there. It will take a while to download
and install those apps.

Quezacot

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
A 2 SIM phone can be used if the business your working at has a separate phone carrier then the
one you use. SIM 1 slot would be for your carrier and slot 2 for the carrier the business uses. That
way you only need one phone for work and yourself. You could use 1 SIM for a private line and the
other SIM for anyone else.
If you have only a single slot for a SIM card, with the same situation, you would need another phone.

Is their any issue with the dual sim? can you hide the icon of the second sim in the upper left? I read somewhere that dual sim have some issue in LTE like lower speed is this true? I will pickup the unit tomorrow. I only have 1 sim :(

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Do I recommend the 950xl?

Do you want an iPhone experience? Yes, then no I dont recommend it.
Are you willing to tinker? No, then no I dont recommend it.

Otherwise, Yes I recommend it. I love this phone!

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
I love it so much.
If you even remotely liked previous Lumia, this is the best one out yet, so go literally running out to buy one asap before they go out of stock for weeks (again).

Quezacot

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
sorry for the late reply. I got my 950xl dual sim yesterday. I ask the sales lady if they have the single sim variant of the 950xl they said that all 950xls that will release in the windows store is only dual sim? Anyway the screen is good, battery is fine also in idle mode. When opening the edge browser sometimes the phone gets hot I hope windows will have an update for this. Apps like messenger, facebook, instagram, viber looks undated, have more bugs compare to ios but can tolerate. Live tiles for facebook doesnt work I don't know why. the second sim icon in the left looks annoying I hope windows have an update that will disable the 2nd sim icon. Love the integration of twitter and facebook on the people hub but facebook app is buggy when syncing contacts. When I push the lock button it doesnt automatically turn off it stays to a black screen with time and date and notification then after some time it will totally sleep is this consuming battery? No option to totally sleep the phone. When I first open the phone I check first the firmware it says its up to date (1511 build 10586) is this the latest? Windows 10 mobile looks promising. If official facebook, instagram, messenger, viber will update frequently the same as ios, android I will prefer this phone over android, ios.

Quezacot

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
I got my 950xl yesterday. I ask the sales lady if they have the single sim variant they said microsoft store wont release single sim only dual sim? I think single sim are only for locked carriers? Anyway when I first open the phone I checked the firmware and it say up to date version 1511 build 10586 I think this is the latest? Doesnt have wifi issue in 2.4ghz but I will check wifi for 5ghz when I get home. I love the screen of 950xl, battery is good in idle even in battery saving the phone doesnt lag. When opening the edge browser the phone gets warm I hope windows will fix this. I love the integration of facebook and twitter in the people hub but facebook has a bug when syncing contacts. Apps like facebook, messenger, twitter, instagram looks undated and have more bugs compare to ios and android but can tolerate. Since I'm new in lumia phone when I push the lock button the phone doesnt go to sleep automatically but it will go to like screensaver with time, date notification does this consume battery? It doesnt have an option to automatically go to sleep. Windows 10 mobile looks promising, if official facebook, twitter, instagram, messenger, viber and windows firmware frequently update like in ios and android I prefer this than ios and android. Overall love the phone but I hope windows push more update and quickfix.

Last edited:

scionluna

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
First off, congrats on the Lumia 950 XL! I'm glad to hear you are enjoying the phone so far.
The "screensaver" you are seeing is the Glance screen that is displays user selected information. You can change how long it lasts by going to "Settings", then "Extras", and then "Glance Screen". There you can set how long the screen stays on after locking the phone, the information it displays, and even sit a night mode for the Glance screen.
If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Peterh56

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
Love my 950XL I am getting a whole day out of the battery with around 20% left after 16 hours and a lot of photos and facebook.
I don't use Windows Hello and I think the major improvement to the battery live is switching off NFC and page prediction in Edge under settings - advance settings. Edge no longer runs hot.

BBJonbo

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
You can link the 2 sims into a single icon. Works great. Battery is acceptable for heavy usage. Barely uses battery when idle. I have very thick glassed with transition lenses. Hello works very well. It works near perfect with no glasses and not quite as good but very respectable with glasses. The key is training the phone and looking at the front camera on the right side. Mist folks having issues likely are looking at the red light om the left or in the center. I am tested LTE speeds ln 3 separate phones including my dial sim 950xl. It definitely

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers