Do you recommend 950xl?

Quezacot

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
Hi I'm planning to buy the 950xl this coming monday but I'm now undecided if I will get it after I read about bad battery life / wifi issue in this forum. I'm not new in windows os since I have desktop running windows 10. Battery is important to me especially in idle mode, I remember they said that "you can see notifications without consuming battery". Anyway, I'm using an Iphone 6 and even if it has a less battery capacity, at full 100 percent charge even in 6 hours idle it still 100 percent. I know the Iphone 6 and 950xl have different specs but I think it will still depend in the os on how it will hand the battery. I have an s6 edge before it has 2800 battery but still consume 1-5% (even in idle state) every hour because of the touchwiz os. Apps is not an issue for me, I only use default mail app 6 apps ( facebook, messenger, twitter, instagrram, viber, youtube) but if these apps are full of bugs I'm gonna pass 950 xl and wait for another windows phone. This will be my first windows phone if ever I will buy it so I want to hear it from you guys who has 950xl if you still recommend it?

A_Pieman

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Don't if your iPhone has 100% battery after six hours of idle you will not be happy with the 950xl.
The apps are not full of bugs but there is room for improvement.
I like my 950 xl it has problems but they are solvable and for me fairly minor.

Quezacot

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
Do you think the battery problem is because of Windows 10 / Windows Build ? Or hardware issues(Processor,GPU, etc)? If it is only the os itself it can be tolerable right?

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Software, definitely. It just needs to be a bit more optimized for the high end processor. However, the latest build does seem to be easier on the battery compared to the one it shipped with (probably why the Insiders didn't get it, but got .11 instead). By all means though, if you go for the XL, you'll be happy with it. Just, do a hard reset first and foremost before you set anything up, for some reason, that helps... A lot.

A_Pieman

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I imagine it is a software issue but that is a guess. The battery system will a very complex design it isn't as simple as battery size being the only measure. So design desisions in that system will have an effect on battery usage.
However as your iPhone is still 100% after six hours then the 950 xl will disappoint you.

grezmel

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
ive ditched my LG G4 for the 950XL and the only apps i am missing are my banking app and security cam app - im not too worried though. I somehow feel at home with windows mobile and the size between the G4 and 950xl is negligible. I havent had any wifi issues and the build i have appears quite stable. The phone did get warm to start with due to all the updates, but is fine now. Battery life is a bit better than my G4 however has wireless charging as standard and also quick charging which is a bonus.

scionluna

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I received my 950 XL in November. The phone has been fantastic so far.
The battery life has been great so far, a full day's use with some to spare at night. Typically I am listening to music locally or streaming. The battery standby has been okay. I typically leave my phone off the charger at night with 100% power on battery saver. After 6-7 hours, the level has dropped about 3-7%.
I haven't had any WiFi problems with the 950 XL. It connects quickly and reliably.
As for the apps, Facebook and Twitter are not up to date as their iOS and Android counterparts but they work very well.
I don't use Instagram and Viber so I can't say anything about them.
The Messenger app by Windows works well but I haven't tried the Skype functions.
The Messenger app by Facebook work but like the Facebook app, it is not up to date. There is no real official YouTube but plenty of third party that do the job very well.

Quezacot

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
Software, definitely. It just needs to be a bit more optimized for the high end processor. However, the latest build does seem to be easier on the battery compared to the one it shipped with (probably why the Insiders didn't get it, but got .11 instead). By all means though, if you go for the XL, you'll be happy with it. Just, do a hard reset first and foremost before you set anything up, for some reason, that helps... A lot.

Thanks. how was your battery life in the latest build? If it does greatly improved I might get one though I will update it to the latest build immediately.

Quezacot

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
I imagine it is a software issue but that is a guess. The battery system will a very complex design it isn't as simple as battery size being the only measure. So design desisions in that system will have an effect on battery usage.
However as your iPhone is still 100% after six hours then the 950 xl will disappoint you.

Thanks I'll just think about it until I'm getting more feedback in this thread till weekend ends. If windows just update their firmware regularly just to improve the battery life I might consider this phone even though its not par with idle of iphone 6

Quezacot

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
I received my 950 XL in November. The phone has been fantastic so far.
The battery life has been great so far, a full day's use with some to spare at night. Typically I am listening to music locally or streaming. The battery standby has been okay. I typically leave my phone off the charger at night with 100% power on battery saver. After 6-7 hours, the level has dropped about 3-7%.
I haven't had any WiFi problems with the 950 XL. It connects quickly and reliably.
As for the apps, Facebook and Twitter are not up to date as their iOS and Android counterparts but they work very well.
I don't use Instagram and Viber so I can't say anything about them.
The Messenger app by Windows works well but I haven't tried the Skype functions.
The Messenger app by Facebook work but like the Facebook app, it is not up to date. There is no real official YouTube but plenty of third party that do the job very well.

Ah one positive feedback for 950xl battery life. Are you running on the latest build? What can you say about wifi issues? Does your wifi connect you to 5ghz ac or 2.4ghz? Do you think the ones getting this have hardware defects ? I'm worried on getting one that has this issue because I always use wifi all the time.

Last edited:

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I like the 950XL more than any mobile device I've had. I'm not sure what the wifi issue is that you reference. Mine works as expected. The screen is gorgeous, the speed is blazing, and the OS is great. Of the apps you mention, most people on the platform have been using 6tag for instagram. The developer pushes out updates very often and his apps are clean, bug free, and work better than many official apps. Twitter has the official app as well as a number of very good alternatives. There are many fine ways to view youtube videos. The Messenger app does what it should do. Can't say about viber.

I guess I don't see why you'd be so concerned with idle battery life, unless you would never use the phone. Isn't battery performance about idle + usage performance, and of the two, isn't usage battery performance by far the most important? I've been satisfied with it, but I don't pay much attention to the idle battery performance.

scionluna

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Ah one positive feedback for 950xl battery life. Are you running on the latest build? What can you say about wifi issues? Does your wifi connect you to 5ghz ac or 2.4ghz? Do you think the ones getting this have hardware defects ? I'm worried on getting one that has this issue because I always use wifi all the time.

I am running the latest build, not a Windows Insider build.
As for the battery, Daniel Rubino addresses this in the latest episode of "Ask Dan". In short, the 950 XL has some high end hardware that will put a drain on the battery when compared to the last flagship, Lumia 1520. I would suspect that as the Windows 10 Mobile gets more battery efficient, the battery life in the 950 and 950 XL will improve.
As for WiFi, I connect at home at 2.4 GHz. I just got a new router installed so I haven't set up the 5.0 GHz band yet. I also connect to the WiFi at work and at the university I attend. I don't know the band I connect to those but I think it is 2.4 GHz. The 950 XL connects easily to both WiFi hotspots. Any dropouts tends to be on the router side. The university WiFi tends to drop both my 950 XL and my OnePlus One on a few occasions it does.
I can't say if it the WiFi issues you mention are hardware or not. The second order of 950 XL from the Microsoft Store were supposed to ship out yesterday so I'd like see how the new orders fare before making a decision. Of course by practice if the phone has a hardware issue, Microsoft will repair or replace the phone.

downup

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
36% left and i charged it yesterday at 18:00 and it says it's good for 9 hours.So i am very happy with the battery.
lots of bluetooth audio, browsing and photo/video capture. No gaming or movies.

My wifi is 26/10 and i have 30/10

Still 2 days old and there is nothing to complain about, had some problems in the start to get the latest windows update but after that is the phone amazing. I like the plastic feels really light

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
This seems to be a hit or miss. Some people have battery issues others don't. Honestly I play a lot of games and my battery doesn't go so fast. It could be better no doubt and it will get better with software updates. You can always guarantee that windows 10 will improve. It has been constantly improving and there's no reason why it wouldn't furthermore. I think that maybe some of the earlier models had different firmware or something as I don't have any issues that most people are having. And with the Usb-c fast charge, you just pop it in the charger and you will be good to go. Get a car charger you can hook your cable to.

Keep the extra cable that comes in the package with you and there's no issues. And you can always buy an extra battery for those times you may not be able to control things. That's the beauty of replaceable batteries.

I have had many phones and this is by far my favourite phone. I'm spending way less time at my PC now too.

Get the black one too, it looks better in my opinion, but of course look at both of them as that is kind of subjective.

emigrating

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I have no battery issues as long as the phone is idle. It lasts an amazingly long time just idling TBH, right up there with my good old 1520. That said, there is definitely room for improvement during use. Some apps and even background tasks are very heavy on the battery, much more so than they perhaps need to be.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
If your primary focus in the XL is for gaming, I would get the 950 and call it a day. Either that or get a Nintindo DS or something.

Quezacot

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
I have no battery issues as long as the phone is idle. It lasts an amazingly long time just idling TBH, right up there with my good old 1520. That said, there is definitely room for improvement during use. Some apps and even background tasks are very heavy on the battery, much more so than they perhaps need to be.

What apps that are heavy on the battery even in background tasks? Can you remove those built in apps like xbox app( I dont have an xbox), groove music( since i use spotify app)? In windows 10 desktop you can remove those build in apps in command prompt. If yes I might get this tommorrow..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb