Well I just cracked the glass on the camera.... :(

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
So I have never ever broken a phone or shattered the glass for anything, I'm good overall when it comes to electronics.

I walk outside to moved my sister's car from being parked out in the street since she's sleeping. I go into her cramped Corolla with the seat pushed almost all the way up and BOOM my phone falls on the front of the lawn where the cement angles into the street. I look at the screen and it looks fine so I move the car into the driveway and then I walk inside.

It wasn't till I felt the back part that I noticed that the glass for the camera on the outside is shattered. Now my heart is too knowing that this has happened. I didn't get the Microsoft plan either cause when I found out it went up in the price I was a bit upset. The fortunate part for me is that the cracks aren't in front of the lens itself so it doesn't affect my pictures, but I'm afraid it will spider web out. So now I'm curious if the glass they use for this is considered "Gorilla Glass." So here's to a slight flaw in the design of the camera which also makes me wonder if that means the 950 is more durable with the ring around the lens instead.

I'm upset at myself, but also at the design of this. I'm starting to wish I had gotten the 950 instead of the XL.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Might actually be an easy fix for you one day, could be cheap too. The XL doesn't take much to tear it down and replace parts (seem like most Nokia phones were like that, and the 950 and 950 XL are the last bit of the Nokia era). Up to you really.

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Might actually be an easy fix for you one day, could be cheap too. The XL doesn't take much to tear it down and replace parts (seem like most Nokia phones were like that, and the 950 and 950 XL are the last bit of the Nokia era). Up to you really.

I was thinking that too since it's only a small piece of glass, but I don't know how easy that part would be to find. Especially right now

BlackSheriff84

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I feel your pain. I brought the L950XL just the other day. With a price tag of $1175 here in the land of Oz I am certainly babying it...
I have my fingers crossed for you that the crack in the camera doesn't web out. Was there another damage at all?

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Hate it when that happens.. Hey, you could point this thing into a mirror and take a closeup of the damage with the damaged camera itself!

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
WP_20151212_01_31_13_Raw_LI.jpgWP_20151212_01_31_27_Raw (2).jpg

This is what it looks like... The only other damage was at the very bottom left corner of the phone there's a chip in the plastic cover, but that's about it.

This was maybe a 2 feet drop.

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
It really sucks that this happened, but...
So here's to a slight flaw in the design of the camera which also makes me wonder if that means the 950 is more durable with the ring around the lens instead.

I'm upset at myself, but also at the design of this. I'm starting to wish I had gotten the 950 instead of the XL.
...glass shattering from a fall onto concrete is not a design flaw.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
This is what it looks like... The only other damage was at the very bottom left corner of the phone there's a chip in the plastic cover, but that's about it. This was maybe a 2 feet drop.
Oh man that sucks. It shows one drawback of those artificially large camera bumps: more exposed glass, for only aesthetic reasons. And of course this is exactly the part that's not integrated into replacement backs. :( I wonder if for now you could find/make a circular sticker to paste on it, with holes for flash and lens, just to protect the glass from coming out.

Some good news: the part with the camera glass comes off super easy, it's just about the first step in this teardown video so once you find a replacement part, I think you can easily install it yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Jt-bWC3ZiA

PoorInRichfield

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
I feel your pain as well. I still vividly remember cracking the glass on my old 920 while squatting down and taking a picture while on a concrete sidewalk. The phone slipped out of my hands and only dropped only about 2-1/2 ft, but the concrete didn't care.

Although it's a day late and dollar short for you, this is the reason why I've decided I'm going to live with a case on my phone even if I don't really like cases. My 950XL has an Orzly Fusion case on it ($10 on Amazon) and this post prompted me to look at if the camera bump is protected or not. The clear backing of the case does indeed overlap the camera lens area a little bit, unlike the Mozo backs that do absolutely nothing to actually protect the phone and cost a small fortune.

Heck, if the cracked camera glass really bothers you, perhaps you could fetch a decent price for the phone on eBay since so many people are desperate to get their hands on this phone right now. However, eBay fees are pretty insane, and you'd obviously be stuck waiting for a new phone if you went that route, but it'd probably be a faster route to go than waiting for repair parts to show-up.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I feel your pain. Shattered my first 920 a few months into owning in a very dumb way involving my car. Have also had it fall out of my left pocket many times when getting into the driver's seat with certain pants. Someone needs to make an easily attached Velcro clasp for any pockets.

The big glass if a definite drawback. The 920 glass is smaller than a pinky and on no bump, survived many drops sans case. Big glass sometimes only needs a shock or twist generated elsewhere on the device and POP :(

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Shattered two 928s in like a 4-month span. You're in my prayers. As a consolation I had my first 950 drop last week and it came through unscathed. Dropped it on the front too, onto asphalt.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
First, I am so sorry, but it can happen to anyone! The famous motto, "Shi* Happens!" is so true.This is one reason why the looks of a phone are highly overrated. Phones I see are either in a protective case or they are dinged up with cracked screens and such, particularly big phones that stick out of pockets or have to be carried all the time. I prefer small phones that can be completely buried in numerous pockets and won't fall out no matter what, but they are unfortunately a dying breed despite the fact that a large percentage of people prefer smaller phones. On the other hand, I think most phones are way too fragile in construction--they are accidents waiting to happen.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Well, in the short term, it doesn't look like it's cracked over the camera lens, so it shouldn't affect pictures. And, the lens is part of the midframe, as is the case on most of these Lumias, so it will be an easy DIY to make it look good as new.

ClixT

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
So I have never ever broken a phone or shattered the glass for anything, I'm good overall when it comes to electronics.

I walk outside to moved my sister's car from being parked out in the street since she's sleeping. I go into her cramped Corolla with the seat pushed almost all the way up and BOOM my phone falls on the front of the lawn where the cement angles into the street. I look at the screen and it looks fine so I move the car into the driveway and then I walk inside.

It wasn't till I felt the back part that I noticed that the glass for the camera on the outside is shattered. Now my heart is too knowing that this has happened. I didn't get the Microsoft plan either cause when I found out it went up in the price I was a bit upset. The fortunate part for me is that the cracks aren't in front of the lens itself so it doesn't affect my pictures, but I'm afraid it will spider web out. So now I'm curious if the glass they use for this is considered "Gorilla Glass." So here's to a slight flaw in the design of the camera which also makes me wonder if that means the 950 is more durable with the ring around the lens instead.

If you purchased your phone with an American Express, Visa Signature, Discover, or World Mastercard, you're in luck! They all have 90 Day purchase protection. :)

https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/member-benefits/purchase-protection.html
World MasterCard? | Purchase Protection & Extended Warranty
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/content/card-benefits/purchase-protection.html
https://apps.usa.visa.com/visasignature/benefits.jsp

Mark Morales

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site

Love my Amex. They take good care of the customer!

As far as case protection. This one works great and grips like glue...

WP_20151212_09_45_57_Pro.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NunezGuad