Well I just cracked the glass on the camera.... :(

BSobotta

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry do I know you? I think it's pretty bold to make assumptions about people when you don't know them at all. Now I'm not taking offense by what you said, but I think you're judging a little too quickly. I don't make much money.

I would've gotten Microsoft's plan had I had the money at the time. I didn't. Heck I did split payments just to buy it.

I love my 950XL I don't have any issues outside of it not wanting to update cause it thinks my storage is full when it's not. Not a big deal to me right now. I like the look and feel of my device naked and I've come to appreciate it for what it is. I was always the case person. Just recently I decided otherwise only cause I starting to carry the minimum stuff I need and I don't want anymore bulk. I use to use wallet cases for that reason. Then I realize wallet cases aren't friendly with cameras and why block my camera or have a flap open when I want to use my beautiful camera?

My advice is to agree with you. This camera protrudes a bit out of the back of the camera and it's glass. It is vulnerable and regardless if you think you're responsible this phone doesn't care. One small drop can do it especially with that large glass bump on it. It's not like the 1020 or 920 in which it's small and not likely to happen. I would tell everyone THEY NEED TO GET A CASE!! Not a mozo cover since that isn't going to do much for protection.

Use the windows device repair to update. You will loser everything, but it's worth it for the update.

qvor1tcom

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Have you checked ebay. Check for "950xl camera window" since I can not post links yet.
Those are pretty cheap, don't know about shipping costs but I don't think that will add too much to the final price.

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Use the windows device repair to update. You will loser everything, but it's worth it for the update.

Are you talking about Windows recovery tool on the pc? I would but I've reset the device a few times now and was going to wait for the next update to do so.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I'd never get a protective case.
What's the point of buying a good looking phone if you're going to cover it in a fat case? The only thing you would be looking at is the screen... and that purpose can be filled with pretty much any other phone.
Take care of your phone and you won't need a case.
Famous last words...

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
See this is why I got ms complete. Somehow a large external 15lbs drive array dropped right on my Lumia screen. It was not something I thought could even happen and I'm careful. Lucky the gorilla glass 4 saved it. No scratches either. Had a mini heart attack.

OMG55

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
If you purhased you device from the microsoft store directly, you are entiled to one free replacement, no questions asked. I've done it at my local microsoft store with multiple items.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
As far as case protection. This one works great and grips like glue...

View attachment 118773

I like your style. :)
I did the same,.....bought the bundle and had THEM put the tempered glass protector on because I am a dusty person.

To be honest, I usually protect the expensive gadgets with full on folio cases. (1520, 2520, SP2)
But this 950XL just looks all business with that Jack Spade jacket on it.
But who is Jack Spade? Says "New York" under his name. I'm sure I'll get some eye rolls from the city folks for that question.

Mark Morales

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
But who is Jack Spade? Says "New York" under his name. I'm sure I'll get some eye rolls from the city folks for that question.

Good question! I was wondering the same thing so I looked it up on Wikipedia... It seems "Jack Spade" is some fictional character related to another fictional character "Kate Spade." I guess he is kind of the "Tommy Bahama" of New York lol... wish they had just left it plain on the back.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry do I know you? I think it's pretty bold to make assumptions about people when you don't know them at all. Now I'm not taking offense by what you said, but I think you're judging a little too quickly. I don't make much money.

I would've gotten Microsoft's plan had I had the money at the time. I didn't. Heck I did split payments just to buy it.

I love my 950XL I don't have any issues outside of it not wanting to update cause it thinks my storage is full when it's not. Not a big deal to me right now. I like the look and feel of my device naked and I've come to appreciate it for what it is. I was always the case person. Just recently I decided otherwise only cause I starting to carry the minimum stuff I need and I don't want anymore bulk. I use to use wallet cases for that reason. Then I realize wallet cases aren't friendly with cameras and why block my camera or have a flap open when I want to use my beautiful camera?

My advice is to agree with you. This camera protrudes a bit out of the back of the camera and it's glass. It is vulnerable and regardless if you think you're responsible this phone doesn't care. One small drop can do it especially with that large glass bump on it. It's not like the 1020 or 920 in which it's small and not likely to happen. I would tell everyone THEY NEED TO GET A CASE!! Not a mozo cover since that isn't going to do much for protection.

I didn't think you'd take it so harshly bro. The point was it is important to get a case. I have no problem if you agree with the idea of a case or not. Just my opinion.

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
950/950xl aren't covered on tmobiles jump/PHP because it isn't a tmobile phone. I know because I work for tmobile and use an unlocked 950xl.
Not completely true, just got a letter today from Assurant regarding Premium Handset Protection. They said phone would not be covered for mechanical or electrical breakdown but would be covered for loss, theft or accidental damage...just what I need, have screen covered for drops. I am happy.

WP_20160102_16_53_02_Pro (2).jpg

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
So here's to a slight flaw in the design of the camera which also makes me wonder if that means the 950 is more durable with the ring around the lens instead.
OK, so this statement was followed by a crowd pleasing response, but after doing my own drop test (.....) I agree with this. I dropped mine from about 3ft high onto asphalt, and even though it landed on it's lower edge, it managed to then break the edge of the camera glass. It looks like the metal ring is a little too good at transferring the impact to the camera glass.

Anyway, everything still works, no cracks across the actual lens area, and the front is still flawless, but it does seem like the unnecessarily large camera glass is prone to breaking.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
After lots of googlin', there are two options.

Option 1: replace glass cover only

Order new glass and (optionally) new adhesive. You can find these for under $10 each on this search on eBay. The glass seems to come out easily, see this video at 10min28s: tinyurl.com/950xl-cameraglass (copy and paste link, WinCental keeps replacing it with a video preview..). The glass pops out, which should leave the adhesive, but it might not be sticky enough to securely hold the new cover. I would order both the adhesive and the glass just to have it handy if needed. Lens cover part number: 9463192, adhesive part number: 9410778.

Option 2: Replace entire middle cover (overkill imo)

The glass cover is part of the middle cover (alternate keywords: back frame or mid frame or midframe or middle frame). That part doesn't contain much electronics (or any), so it should be affordable. Right now it seems to be around $50 and it comes off really early in the disassembly. The part number seems to be 00814F6 (dual SIM? not sure yet!). See this elaborate google search.

On stellatech:
https://stellatech.com/microsoft-lumia-950-xl-middle-cover,a,en,822662.html

On Fonejoy:
Genuine Microsoft Lumia 950 XL, 950 XL Dual Sim Chassis / Middle Cover - 00814F6

WARNING: I'm not yet sure if this is for single or dual sim, they might be different.

Speaking of which, is there already a thread on replacement part numbers for the 950XL? That would be really helpful!

midframe.jpg

Last edited:

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I appreciate that you responded back to this thread. I did replace the glass according to this video. The issue is that you DO need to replace both the glass and to get the adhesive. I forgot to order the adhesive so instead I used what I had lying around which was rubber cement. It works fine.

The bigger downside is that it's not as simple as this video makes it out to be. The reason is that you have to remove the glass and the adhesive while it's still cracked. If you have a lot of tiny bits of cracked glass then it becomes time consuming and tedious. It took me about an hour to clean it off completely and I did manage to scratch the metal up a bit. I wasn't too concerned about that though.

I have replaced it and it works fine now. I'll see if I can upload some pictures soon.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I appreciate that you responded back to this thread. I did replace the glass according to this video. The issue is that you DO need to replace both the glass and to get the adhesive.
Thanks, I have ordered both, let's see how it goes. If you don't mind could you share which toolkit you used? Any recommendations?

Edit: nvm, I ordered this one. Looks like you just need a torx 5, but hey, for $15 I don't mind having a bunch of other tools in a box.

For those interested, I started a thread on 950XL replacement part numbers to save others the trouble.

Last edited:

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, I have ordered both, let's see how it goes. If you don't mind could you share which toolkit you used? Any recommendations?

Edit: nvm, I ordered this one. Looks like you just need a torx 5, but hey, for $15 I don't mind having a bunch of other tools in a box.

For those interested, I started a thread on 950XL replacement part numbers to save others the trouble.

That's pretty much the same kind of set I got. Yours does appear to be a bit nicer though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos