950XL wifi problems, keeps dropping connection to 5.0GHz network.

ArtieMcD

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Is there a known issues with the 950XL (or Win 10 in general) regarding wifi stability. My 950XL refuses to stay connected to the 5.0GHz wifi network. After reboot it will find and connect to the network fine, but after about 10 to 15 minutes the connection drops. When I go to the available wifi list, all the 5.0 GHz networks are missing and only the 2.4 GHz ones are offered. The only way I have found to get the phone to find the 5.0 GHz ones was forcing a reboot.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I just noticed this on mine this morning. I'm running the latest Fast Ring Insider build. I'm still on 5 GHz now, but I don't think that it's been more than about 6-7 minutes since I restarted.

ClixT

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Is there a known issues with the 950XL (or Win 10 in general) regarding wifi stability. My 950XL refuses to stay connected to the 5.0GHz wifi network. After reboot it will find and connect to the network fine, but after about 10 to 15 minutes the connection drops. When I go to the available wifi list, all the 5.0 GHz networks are missing and only the 2.4 GHz ones are offered. The only way I have found to get the phone to find the 5.0 GHz ones was forcing a reboot.

It's probably discussed in the bugs and defects thread. I know I have this problem too, and it actually forces the phone to reboot if I'm connected to the 5ghz for some time.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Mine stayed on 5 GHz for more than 10 minutes, but not a lot more. I left the phone downloading an offline map, went to shower, and came back to the phone using 2.4 GHz. I was gone about 20 minutes, but I don't know when it switched bands.

madusmacus

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
for my e4200 Linksys

5ghz fails on "N" Connects but no internet

5ghz ok on "A" but... slow for no reason

2.4ghz seems to work on anything

Maybe they fix it maybe not :?(

winboy

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Same problem with my dual band Netgear modem/router. Hope there is a fix soon! It is the only issue that my 950 xl has.

BBJonbo

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
Same with 3 of my Netgear 1900AC routers. 2.4GHz works 5 keeps dropping. Hopefully we see a fix soon enough. Can live with 2.4 but would prefer to use my 5.

ClixT

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I think the .36 update fixed this issue. It's been a whole day connected to 5ghz and no random reboots so far.

ArtieMcD

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm still having the issues even with the phone on .36. So I don't belive this issue is fixed. Has anyone at MS acknowledged the issue? Between this and no visual voicemail I'm likely forced to return the phone this week. :(

srmiller07

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
I'm still having issues on .36. after it installed and rebooted it connected to the wifi then my ipad lost it connection. I had to reboot the router but then my 950xl connects but with no internet. Downloading .63 at work so will test it tonight when I get home. My router is a TP-Link Archer D7 1750AC. Only seems to e an issue with dual band routers so far.

signal-2-noise

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
I've just discovered the same problem with my 5ghz network as well. A google showed this as a known & common issue. Reboot of phone temporarily fixes the connection. Reporting it to Windows Feedback. I've had the 950 XL for just 2 days and already thinking of going back to my 930 as the daily use phone.

ArtieMcD

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I've just discovered the same problem with my 5ghz network as well. A google showed this as a known & common issue. Reboot of phone temporarily fixes the connection. Reporting it to Windows Feedback. I've had the 950 XL for just 2 days and already thinking of going back to my 930 as the daily use phone.

Sadly, returning the 950 XL to Microsoft is the only fix available for the problem. I'm back to my trusty 920. It's wifi works everytime, has visual voice mail, the wireless charging works on the nokia bases, etc, etc, etc...

Marsiss Tian

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I am having this issue since lumia 920 with 8.1, and I am not sure i'ts OS or ISP's problems, because other smart phones also had similar issues but better than windows phone, and so far no solutions I've found.
By the way, I'm using comcast, and I missed verizon FIOS so much.

agentcyan

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
This thing worked for me: I have TP Link Dual Band router. Went to work and switched ON my wifi. At my work place they have a single band router so it works well. While going back home I did not switch OFF my wifi on phone and kept it ON. Came home, wifi got picked and it never dropped. I've seen this couple of times. But if you switch off your wifi after coming home and switch it back ON then your connection will be dropped. At home I have connected my phone wifi to 2.4 GHz band. Will test on 5GHz later this weekend.

Hope this works for all

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss