Lumia 950XL suddenly heating up

butarra

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi, ive just done the hard reset, i think the phone is faulty, i've had the same issue including unable to do the updates on the phone.

ISSUES I HAVE ENCOUNTERED SO FAR WITH THE 950XL:

Fast draining battery,
Overheating,
Overheating while charging phone
Unable to do updates without WiFi
Unable to do updates with WiFi
Unable to do updates PERIOD.
Unable to charge phone using the TYPE C connector to my computer USB

I have gone through all the Microsoft HELP online to no avail
The online chat team just "copy and paste" information from the information available online
The MICROSOFT online chat team will ask you which country you are from and if you are not from the USA, they will give you a link that takes you to the "Help" / self diagnose page of Microsoft Lumia devices

I am finally at the point where I did a HARD RESET on a NEW phone to get it working.

HOPEFULLY this will fix the ISSUES... if i am able to do the update or get any resolution with the issues above I will post an update...

butarra

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Update: Issue not resolved after HARD RESET

Apparently the message "Available Updates" is incorrect according to Microsoft Chat guy

Still Unable to charge phone using the TYPE C connector to my computer USB - Microsoft Lumia 950XL phone issue

Phone still overheating

Will try and get a refund/replacement tomorrow

nevs35

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
I've been facing the same problem as well :[

ever since i've been trying to update my phone ... battery drain .. heating up .. low storage warnings ... the update itself is stuck at 0%

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
So here's the thing. Sony has a plain heat pipe. Lumia 950XL has a heat pipe with small capillaries with tiny amounts of liquid in them. I have even made a post about it where someone was discussing it in an article. It's actually a pretty novel thing in phones. Both heat pipes no doubt, but MS's is more advanced.

I wish you would stop posting sometimes... Sony uses a highly standard alu-heatpipe to disperse heat... This is not enough for the SD810 which is obvious since it still has to throttle speeds due to heat. Microsoft uses a liquid cooling alu-heatpipe that disperses heat a lot better since it is not only a piece of aluminium that lets heat transfer... It is also liquid which moves heat even better.

This is NOT "just what Sony" has done... This is a new technology for phones and it makes the 810 in the XL unable to throttle under load.

I didn't answer again because I was just waiting for a video to be posted where you can actually SEE that, well, you were both just dead wrong.
Here's a complete tear down of the supposed "liquid cooling" that, as I have said before, is nothing more than a heat pipe, just like Sony used since at least the Z3+ (a phone that also uses the SD810).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snmG1QOOXXI

Maybe now you can admit you were mislead by marketing propaganda? ;) There's no real liquid cooling on the XL. Period.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I didn't answer again because I was just waiting for a video to be posted where you can actually SEE that, well, you were both just dead wrong.
Here's a complete tear down of the supposed "liquid cooling" that, as I have said before, is nothing more than a heat pipe, just like Sony used since at least the Z3+ (a phone that also uses the SD810).

Maybe now you can admit you were mislead by marketing propaganda? ;) There's no real liquid cooling on the XL. Period.

No the guy opening it up doesn't understand vapor chambers. Look it up. As soon as he cut it he let the "liquid" which can be a vapor escape. this is why it is sealed. The process occurs due to how heat works and condenses. There is no actual water in it. You can see the capillaries as he cuts it open. Those are in use when all the phase changes occur due to heat. He just thinks it's like a typical desktop cooler which it is not. It is not true liquid cooling and this has been noted already as it can't really be done on a cell phone and it's overkill anyways. It's a vapor chamber, but people don't understand "vapor chamber" in marketing, so they call it liquid cooling. It heavily relies on heat and the exchanger.

You can even see the paste which would be used in combination with the vapor.

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
I know how you would loooove to be right and also loooove it if somebody else would do this before Microsoft... But unfortunately, you are wrong.You need to read a little bit more about how the system works, and what to expect when you open it up. You are wrong, not Microsoft.

Pirate Arr

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site

That a video from that Jerry guy. Nuff said to easy dismiss it, in fact it was perfectly explained in the comments of the video

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android on my Lumia 950 XL

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
LOL the amounts of delusion in some of you are astounding. Suite yourselves. If you people want to believe in unicorns, go ahead. Don't let facts get in the way of your fantasies. I won't insist more in trying to break your illusions ;)

biltaji

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
Hello,
To be honest Lumia and Nokia have always had this problem in almost every phone. Especially in the 930 and ICON. It heats up almost all the time. Especially if your using YouTube, Facebook, Camera for a long time etc.
Different updates came up but the problem didn't go.
I have a Lumia 950 and it also heats up when I charge. The reason might be the Ctype USB. It Charges very fast which pumps allot of power into the device which causes heat! You can't get rid of this problem! MY phone charges from 10% to 100% in less then 1 hour!
Now my phone only heats up when I charge, Other than that it becomes warm. Doesn't bother me but it doesn't get hot like 930 and Icon does which is very annoying.

ale2999

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Turn off SMS sync. That did it for me. The sync was causing my phone to use data and run the battery... After update. to .107 I actually turned it back on and the battery is still ok.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
You might want to do some research:

You might want to also do some research on what's water cooling/liquid cooling. Heat pipes are used on the 950XL, like on the Z3+ and Z5 before it and on the new S7's. No phone has actual water cooling/liquid cooling.

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
You might want to also do some research on what's water cooling/liquid cooling. Heat pipes are used on the 950XL, like on the Z3+ and Z5 before it and on the new S7's. No phone has actual water cooling/liquid cooling.
I get that your mind is made up and don't want to be confused by the facts. What do you think condenses in the condenser section of the heat pipes in the video linked? Are you telling me that I have to throw out all the training and experience I have in Physics over the last 30+ years to fit your way of thinking?

AJN200

Mar 20, 2017
Visit site
I had the same problem, on top of that I was having SD card error. So I uninstalled all the apps on sd card, I am only now using the SD card for pictures and music where I use it on random basis and not comtineous. With this the heating problem went away and so did the restarting problem.

isendo

May 2, 2017
Visit site
I honestly would like to send my message for those phone users who wanna still use Microsoft Windows Phone although Microsoft has stopped production of Windows Phones. I bought one. It was a fire ball. I agree with AJN200. With programs and personal data moved on sd card and with all updates including phone update, heating problem went away. It's not trying to restart, fastest than before and it is cold like ice. I didnt expect but it is true!

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720