Text message notifications no longer working

SeeVuPlay

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I have the unlocked 950xl on TMobile....the texting live tile no longer shows the text notifications and I no longer get a sound when a text message comes in. Anyone else experiencing this? It worked 2 days ago and suddenly stopped notifying me. I don't want to do another reset....

rbeste

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
having the same issue and have from the beginning. SMS messages only notify if the SMS app is open on the screen. Otherwise, no buzz and no live tile counter. Unlocked on AT&T.

anon(5326758)

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Strange, just got a text notification, on AT&T (unlocked). My current uptime is 4 days 12 hours.
Is this happening to you on 10586.0 or the updated build 10.586.29?

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Not saying this is the solution, but getting notifications to work perfectly on both SIMS and my 3 "unlinked" mailboxes, required me to fiddle quite a bit. Basically I manually turned OFF notifications at each Tile level, AND at the system level. Rebooted the phone. Then manually adjusted at every level again. Got em working perfectly now. Everything, including the Band 2 are playing nicely. I have to admit that there are a lot of settings at various levels that can affect this. Can be confusing. Seems like a fair amount of overlap in different configuration areas.

scolab

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
No notifications for messaging here on my trusty Icon. Going on a couple weeks now, so I don't believe it's hardware related. I do get SMS notifications on my Band 1, but nothing on the phone.

Bjfcm

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I have a 950 and was experiencing the same issue ( other 950 user's were / are experiencing the same thing ) until I remove an App called Action Notes.. Its really a fantastic app that allows you to quickly add notes to the Action Notification Area of your phone. I removed it and bingo my Text Notifications began to re- appear on the tile.

This was the case with me. I don't want to bad mouth the app because its FANTASTIC !!!
Perhaps certain apps conflict with the New OS .29 Build? I'm not sure guys. You may not have the app and perhaps I just happen to do something in sync with its removal ??

mathewhayward

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I had this problem after an update and it disabled the Messaging app running in the background. Once it was re-enabled, I was getting notifications again

jmprice

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Nothing, and I mean NOTHING I have tried has worked. I have taken the steps here, and on other sites. running the .29 upgrade. hasn't worked since two upgrade cycles ago on fast ring.

scolab

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
The "fix" for mine was to go to Background Apps and turning ON Messaging + Skype. For some reason it was turned off. Feeling happy with Win10m again!

cdayo

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
The "fix" for mine was to go to Background Apps and turning ON Messaging + Skype. For some reason it was turned off. Feeling happy with Win10m again!

I think most people suffering with this issue are in this boat - as you have experienced yourself - you lived with this issue for "weeks" before checking background apps! I think most people forget to check that setting and assume that the only setting they need is the "notification" setting.

Bensi66

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
Same problem, 950XL ,It works but only on the first text in from that person after that it goes silent. I also get no notifications on lock screen or start screen.

Email notifications does not sound but do appear on lock screen and start screen. I am getting an update tonight, hoping that might solve problem.

No other issues, groove has worked very well, battery consumption not awesome but as good if not better than the 1520. I need to get a new sim from work to use the second sim but it looks easy enough to use.

I really like this phone but I need to fix this issue, Uncertain if I just don't have it set up correctly or if it is a software issue. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

mskenny

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I saw somewhere else that you could reset the notification sound to default and it would then work. This does fix the problem for me, but if you change the sound back to whatever you would prefer, the notifications will eventually disappear again. This is unsatisfactory because I use my phone to receive alerts from work and so I picked the most obnoxious sound they had so I'd be sure to be woken up by it. Fix this, Microsoft!

Naftes

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
before any soft reset is very important to check BACKGROUND APP SETTINGS
and allow messaging app to run in background!
this should fix the problem

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss