How to improve 950XL Battery Life

ajprmaverick

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
1. When you get a call tell the person you will call them from a payphone due to the fact you can't use the phone because of dreadful battery.
2. If you want to browse websites use a computer or tablet because god knows if you open edge it will drain your battery 1% every 2 minutes and it will get your phone hot.
3. You know every feature that they advertise on this phone turn it all off because it will eat your battery and that includes turning off all background apps.
4. You like that beautiful screen turn the brightness all the way down if you want to make it to noon with a working phone.
5. Last resort and I mean the last resort buy a extra battery for your 950xl because it has removable battery oh wait they don't sell them yet nevermind then buy the 950 essential bundle pack which includes a cover, screen protector and a backup portable battery that you have to connect and let it hang.

Thank you Microsoft for this wonderful phone but you forgot that people need a phone that you can depend on so you can use the basics calls text email and browse without worrying about battery life. I can handle the other glitches that you want to bundle with the phone but when you mess with the battery life that's a no no.
PS At least give false hope that you are working on it or just say that's what we can expect from this battery life.

Regards
A loyal sucker :wink:

BevOh

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
Whilst I do agree with pretty much all your statements they have said they are working on it.

answers dot microsoft dot com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_install/950xl-on-fast-insider-ring-unable-to-get-1058629/c9ce18e1-dbc5-42bc-a733-ae4e0644bb51?page=47

Sorry wouldnt let me post links.

I actually did a hard reset yesterday and even without the .29 update battery has gotten better and it's not so much of a portable pocket heater anymore. Just make sure you don't sign into that Skype App and hope for the best. Then again, battery was fine when I first got the phone and progressively got worse and started overheating so who knows what tomorrow will bring. Hopefully a f*****g update!

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
  • 100% Maxed Brightness (Automatic Brightness: OFF)
  • Glance Screen: Always ON
  • Outlook Sync: PUSH
  • Cortana: ON
  • Windows Hello: ON
  • All System Background Apps: Enabled
  • Store apps auto-updating: Only on Wi-Fi
  • Battery Saver: OFF
  • Bluetooth: OFF
  • NFC: OFF
  • Hey Cortana: OFF
  • Some Third Party background Apps: Disabled (ex: eBay, Amazon, Wikipedia, and some other useless Background Agents)
  • Feedback and Diagnostic: Set to Standard (Minimal)
  • 2 "pages" Start Screen Live Tiles with standard columns;
  • Wi-Fi Sharing: OFF
  • Wi-Fi Public Discovery: OFF

My 950 XL lasts all day with moderate/heavy usage (Music, Browsing, Calling, Whatsapp, FB Messenger, Messages, Skype, Facebook, Twitter, myTube, NextGen Reader RSS, MSN News, MSN Weathher, Camera photos and so on and so on).

So: your arguments are invalid.

EDIT:
Started the 1? Day with an Hard-Reset of 10586.0 with No Backup, updated to 10586.29 without further Hard-Resets.

Last edited:

anon(2523636)

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
4G, WiFi, Bluetooth, push email, Hello, NFC all on. Couple of background services disabled, but not many out of installed apps. I don't have a problem with all day battery use.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Regards
A loyal sucker :wink:
Did you do restore from your old phone when you originally set it up? I did when installing Windows 10 and found issues like yours, I did a hard reset and manually setup my phone and found battery life improved a lot and most of the other glitches went away..

ajprmaverick

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
Yes I can say same thing yesterday I disconnected the phone at 7am by 7pm I had 70% left you know why because I didn't use the phone at all of course I can say that its awesome but its not because I ain't using like I normally do. Today disconnected at 8am now its 9:06am and its down to 83% just web browsing yea awesome battery, I dont have skype setup and I did like 5 resets from scratch no fix plus this is my second phone first 950xl acted the same. So yea Idle battery great turn on the screen and is crap

Marsiss Tian

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I need to figure out what app/background drained about 30% battery when I was sleeping for about 8 hours.
Just change email accounts to sync hourly, wait and see.
Which battery app can tell the battery usage details based on apps?

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Did you do restore from your old phone when you originally set it up? I did when installing Windows 10 and found issues like yours, I did a hard reset and manually setup my phone and found battery life improved a lot and most of the other glitches went away..

Completely agree with this!

When I first upgraded to W10M two weeks ago on my L830 this is the way I did it. Hard reset 8.1 first, then updated to W10M, then another hard reset, and finally a fresh install. No restore. Then updated my apps. No issues. Battery stabilized after 3-4 days and has been good ever since. Got the 10586.29 update the other night and it seems like battery is even better now. As good as it was when I was using 8.1.

Bottom line avoid restoring a backup and fresh install for W10M. :wink:

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Completely overcome-able. :)
It won't ever be a 1520 battery-life device. Form factor dictates so. But it can be a good battery life device.
These days it is almost impossible to get everything perfect "out-of-the-box". It's all a compromise.

pvcleave

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
The longest my battery has been able to last, with light usage is 33 hours. I have bluetooth/WifI, Windows Hello, Hey Cortana, Glance screen, 2 Push email accounts, all enabled. I had NFC, Groove disabled. I now have Groove background enabled. depending on my usage I get anywhere from 12 to 20 hours. Music, texting, emails phone calls, browsing. I use my phone and refuse to turn the things off.

I know when I first got my 1520 I turned most everything off because battery life was horrible, over time it got better and I turned everything on all the time. My battery for my 950XL was horrible, I think somewhere I posted 4 hours. I could not charge wirelessly or charge with my laptop, it would not charge fast enough. Now no problem. I know that does not help you, but it can get better. I think one of my problems though, was I had a bad file on my SD card. It was my fault the file got corrupted, but once I deleted the file, everything was fine.

However, I do think Edge really drains the battery.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
When you use other email services that don't use push that does impact battery life considerably.

Especially when you have an extremely active email account.

This the primary reason I use outlook.com, native push support.

For instance my windows central email tile fills upto 99+ in a one to two hours. So if you have it set to sync as email arrives...I have 7 accounts and 8 tiles (my windows central tile is a pinned folder) like I did back in 2012 - set to as items arrive - battery drain is non existent.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
1. When you get a call tell the person you will call them from a payphone due to the fact you can't use the phone because of dreadful battery.

LOL, if you can find a payphone, or use your flip phone.

But that's the problem with putting those damn Oled screens in, those kill the battery. I had the 930 for a month before I was like, this thing has got to go. But i did notice (in the store), web browsing is smoking fast or maybe thats just me currently using the 640XL.

So no capacitive navigation buttons, .3 inches smaller, and not even half the battery life of...you know where i am going with this.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
  • Some Third Party background Apps: Disabled (ex: eBay, Amazon, Wikipedia, and some other useless Background Agents)

My 950 XL lasts all day with moderate/heavy usage (Music, Browsing, Calling, Whatsapp, FB Messenger, Messages, Skype, Facebook, Twitter, myTube, NextGen Reader RSS, MSN News, MSN Weathher, Camera photos and so on and so on).

EDIT:
Started the 1? Day with an Hard-Reset of 10586.0 with No Backup, updated to 10586.29 without further Hard-Resets.

I am expecting more than a day.
950XL is getting killed by Iphone 6S by hours on web browsing. Look up some youtube videos and the 6S is faster in browsing than the 950 XL as well.
65h endurance versus 107h of 1520, ouch.
Even the 640 XL LTE is better at 74h and that was WP8, i feel the latest WM10 on 640XL is lasting longer.
http://www.gsmarena.com/microsoft_lumia_950_and_lumia_950_xl_battery_life-blog-15349.php

Last edited:

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
I am expecting more than a day.
950XL is getting killed by Iphone 6S by hours on web browsing. Look up some youtube videos and the 6S is faster in browsing than the 950 XL as well.
65h endurance versus 107h of 1520, ouch.
Even the 640 XL LTE is better at 74h and that was WP8, i feel the latest WM10 on 640XL is lasting longer.
Microsoft Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL battery life - GSMArena blog
You're expecting a bit too much.
950 XL has a 2K screen vs FullHD, 8 cores vs Dual Core, and Windows 10 with Continuum against limited iOS.
Anyway, still last a full day of moderate/heavy usage. It's golden

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, it has a 2K screen, i ll give you that, but to me 1080p screen with 50% better battery life is a no brainer.
1520 is quadcore and it is clocked faster, and half of 950xl cores are not as powerful.
The 6S is faster than the 950XL despite having only two cores, that was my whole point.

How is continuum relevant in this equation, it runs connected to a dock, powered up?

You're expecting a bit too much.
950 XL has a 2K screen vs FullHD, 8 cores vs Dual Core, and Windows 10 with Continuum against limited iOS.
Anyway, still last a full day of moderate/heavy usage. It's golden

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

EDIT:

yup agree with you on all, I actually do a bit more than what you listed all day long as well as map navigation while driving, phonecalls, emails ,sms and my phone still has around 30% at night.
I really don't know what people are doing to get such poor battery life, I have had not one single issue with my 950XL, its a fantastic phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb