Start Screen not syncing from previous phone's backup

sailorboi88

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys. Need some help. Just got myself a lumia 950xl. Previously had a 930.

Restored my 930 backup to my 950xl. My start lumia930 start screen didn't show up though. I didnt sign up fpr preview of wp10. Is that normal? Do I have tp reconfig my start screen.

Also, it seems to me that b the whites of my screen appear yellowish.... Anyone b sharing b the v same thoughts? Thanks

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Restored my 930 backup to my 950xl. My start lumia930 start screen didn't show up though. I didnt sign up fpr preview of wp10. Is that normal? Do I have tp reconfig my start screen.

It's not really a hardware and related features question... So I made this post it's own thread. Hopefully we can get this resolved for you.

Skippy07

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
When I initially set mine up and restored from a back up of my WP8.1 device, it also did not restore my start screen setup. Due to having the issue others were reporting about images not showing up in Outlook mail and only a reset would resolve, I did the reset. When I went through the setup again and restored from my WP8.1 device, I then got my start screen restored correctly. It seemed to not to the restore correctly/completely the first time and the reset fixed all that.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but it's what worked for me. Hope it helps.

-Skippy

Mark Morales

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys. Need some help. Just got myself a lumia 950xl. Previously had a 930.

Also, it seems to me that b the whites of my screen appear yellowish.... Anyone b sharing b the v same thoughts? Thanks

I would highly recommend doing a hard reset and not resorting from a backup when you first set up the phone... that's just from my experience. Others may have different opinions but when I first got my 950XL, I immediately set it up using a backup from a 929 Icon. I had some problems and lots of glitches. A few days in I decided to hard reset and install all apps and set everything manually as opposed to using a backup... Since then, my 950XL has been nearly flawless!

Mark Morales

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the advise! But this sounds painful....

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Yes it is a bit of a pain but not as bad as I originally thought since I had the Icon to look at side by side. It also gave me a chance to rethink what I really need and don't need and where I want them situated as I was going through the apps. All in all, it feels 'leaner and meaner' and it runs a lot smoother with fewer glitches... imo worth the couple hours (with a couple whiskeys) it took to hard reset and set up manually.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Thankfully, these days we have "the cloud", making starting fresh with a new device pretty unpainful. And that allows us to avoid the complexities and inherit failures of restoring from a backup. Especially when that backup was made from a different hardware platform.

Even IF restoring from a backup appeared to succeed, I will always have in the back of my mind the question of "how much better would this thing be if I had done it the other way?

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Same thing happened to me when I had to exchange my 950 XL for a new one. I wasn't getting the 10586.29 update, so I did the hard reset and restored the backup....start screen layout didn't restore though. Kind of ticked me off too. Luckily I had taken screenshots of it a month ago so I got mostly back to the same. The biggest problem with this is I have 5 folder tiles with lots of various apps. That was the worst part about redoing the start screen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion