Wall charger adapter for 950XL

redserpent7

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I still cannot understand why MS decided to have the cable built in the wall adapter it self. I am in the market looking for a solid wall charger/adapter for my Lumia 950 XL.

My wall outlet is several feet away from my bed and I need my phone close to me at night. So I am looking for a wall adapter to use with a 6ft USB-C cable. any suggestions or recommendations?

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
FYI, QuickCharge or not, you're never going to get the full charging speed from a USB-A adapter. The reason for this is that USB-C to USB-C devices communicate their power requirements and capabilities before charging starts. Since a USB-A charger cannot do this, the cable is required to have a resistor in it to identify the maximum power.... and based on the USB-C specification, that maximum power from a USB-A charger is 1.5A. There's also a ton of USB-A to USB-C cable makers who are improperly designing their cables without that resistor, which means you run the risk of damaging the charger or phone with an out-of-spec cable. Check out some of Benson Leung (a Google engineer who has been testing a ton of cables)'s reviews for more on that.

If you want the full 3A charging speed that the 950/950XL is capable of, you'll need a native USB-C charger. The only one I've seen that meets the OP's requirement for a removable cable is the Google Dual-Port USB-C charger: https://forums.windowscentral.com/e.../store.google.com/us/?hl=en-US&token=axbs15dd . This Google charger is capable of 4.5A of combined output (up to a max of 3A per port). If you have two devices connected, I believe the idea is that the device that needs power more gets prioritized. However, one thing to keep in mind is that despite the Google charger and the Microsoft charger both being capable of 3A, for some reason the Google charger is not properly working to power the Display Dock (if that matters at all to you).

Last edited:

mdbuilder

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Or you could read the #1 review, per Benson In conclusion : This is a fine USB Type-C cable from F-color. The cable is a great safe way to charge and data sync your new USB Type-C devices such as Nexus 6P/5X or Pixel devices. It is also future proof for USB Type-C devices to come!

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Or you could read the #1 review, per Benson In conclusion : This is a fine USB Type-C cable from F-color. The cable is a great safe way to charge and data sync your new USB Type-C devices such as Nexus 6P/5X or Pixel devices. It is also future proof for USB Type-C devices to come!

Doesn't matter. It's still not capable of 3A. You don't get the full charging speed unless you use a native USB-C charger. Sure, the one you linked is SAFE (which is what Benson is reviewing), but that doesn't mean it's using your hardware to the fullest.

Dzik

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't matter. It's still not capable of 3A. You don't get the full charging speed unless you use a native USB-C charger. Sure, the one you linked is SAFE (which is what Benson is reviewing), but that doesn't mean it's using your hardware to the fullest.

Then why are Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 certified chargers on Amazon outputting 2.4Amp? Isn't 3.0 Amp needed for Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 which 950XL is not capable off since it requires minimum Snapdragon 820?

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Qualcomm's proprietary Quick Charge doesn't follow the USB Battery Charging (BC) spec 1.2, and in fact uses a variable voltage to change charge rates based on battery states. The 950 and 950XL don't appear to support this at all. USB-C provides 5V / 3A fast charging without any additional Quick Charge support needed.

There's also USB-PD which provides other higher voltages (what the Chromebook Pixel and Macbook use).

For a great overview of this sort of stuff, there's a thread about similar USB-C questions on XDA-Developers. It's a thread that is about the Nexus 6p, but the same information is applicable to USB-C on the new Lumias:

USB Type-C -vs- USB 3.0/3.1 -vs- USB 2.0 || … | Huawei Nexus 6P

pdch

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Your 950xl should have included a usb3 to usbc cable. This can plug into any of your old USB wall adapters (that should have a usb to micro usb cable sticking in the side right now).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss