Tempered Glass for the 950xl

peashooter14

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
I have ordered the Nillkin from nillkin.org

I have purchased over 6 different screen protectors. The NillKin is the only one that attempts to work. Don't buy any others. 4 Corners are down, with just a little up in the top left because I didn't get it perfectly in the middle of the glass, but still 1000X better than any other protector.

peashooter14

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Last edited:

Corwin_Amber1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Same here, peashooter, I tried many, also some which claimed to be 0.26mm thick - none were so far, only the Nillkin.

And now the pro part: Before applying (and before removing the film, grab a black, permanent Edding pen and carefully paint the edges black. This way, the bright edge of the glass protector is a lot less bright, the protector is a lot less visible. I wonder, why manufacturers are not doing this.

GLWeeks

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
Ordered a couple of the Nillkin covers today. My new XL is gonna be unprotected for 3 weeks or so... Waiting for all this stuff to arrive from China. It is kinda crazy the lack of support for this device.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm still at 100% with my Nillkin protector, over a month now, as an update, not even a sign that the edges might peel.

On the G4 glass, it WILL scratch, if you happen to get something harder on your finger. Say if you're messing with some sand and have some fine granitic particles on your fingertip, these will easily scratch the screen. It's tough stuff, but not "un-scratchable" ;-]

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
^
Better the protector than the actual display I guess. I got the Nillkin one as well. Ordered it from Ali Express since it's basically sold out or takes forever to ship from Ebay or Amazon right now. Got here pretty quickly but man is it a ***** to get on straight without getting any fingerprints on the corners. The good news is there's no signs of it lifting at the corners, though I literally just got them on the two 950 XLs I'm setting up.

Last edited:

GLWeeks

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
And now the pro part: Before applying (and before removing the film, grab a black, permanent Edding pen and carefully paint the edges black. This way, the bright edge of the glass protector is a lot less bright, the protector is a lot less visible. I wonder, why manufacturers are not doing this.

No disrespect, but I have to ask... Is this something that others are doing? First I've read on it and still waiting on my Nillkin to arrive.

Thanks!

Corwin_Amber1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
No disrespect, but I have to ask... Is this something that others are doing? First I've read on it and still waiting on my Nillkin to arrive.

Thanks!

I have to confess that I am totally OCD about this topic. I tried so many protection solutions - liquids, plastic, glass. This is, where I settled. Of course you are welcome to ask, no offense taken.
So, Actually I have no idea if anybody does this. But as a matter of fact, the outer edges are now quite invisible, as the light which is usually illuminating the edges of a glass (any glass, by the way) is not not or less visibl?e, as I painted it black with a black permanent marker before applying it (with the protective film still there). YMMMV, but it certainly works for me. I made a picture. To the lkeft is the Nillkin on the Lumia 950XL. To the right is the same Glass on another tablet, also attached normally, not just lying there. One, you can see the edges, one not.
IMG_3396 - Kopie.JPG

peashooter14

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
I'm still at 100% with my Nillkin protector, over a month now, as an update, not even a sign that the edges might peel.

On the G4 glass, it WILL scratch, if you happen to get something harder on your finger. Say if you're messing with some sand and have some fine granitic particles on your fingertip, these will easily scratch the screen. It's tough stuff, but not "un-scratchable" ;-]

can you reapply the same filter, I didn't nail mine perfectly and want to reapply but am afraid it will lose its stickiness?

Corwin_Amber1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
It will not loose the stickyness but there is a great possibility to get dust / dirt trapped underneath. As the adhesion is from static, dust and small particles are getting attracted fairly easily. You need to do it in a cleanroom ;)

migdier

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
Placed my order today for the Nillkin. I just took off and trashed my bubbled/lifting protector. Amazon-prime to the rescue. I can live tomorrow without it.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Here is the Nillkin on my 950XL. Sorry for the bright flash, but I wanted to make sure that you all see how well it fits.

Attachments

• IMG_20160516_210744.jpg
    IMG_20160516_210744.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 83

sst154

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
I have to confess that I am totally OCD about this topic. I tried so many protection solutions - liquids, plastic, glass. This is, where I settled. Of course you are welcome to ask, no offense taken.
So, Actually I have no idea if anybody does this. But as a matter of fact, the outer edges are now quite invisible, as the light which is usually illuminating the edges of a glass (any glass, by the way) is not not or less visibl?e, as I painted it black with a black permanent marker before applying it (with the protective film still there). YMMMV, but it certainly works for me. I made a picture. To the lkeft is the Nillkin on the Lumia 950XL. To the right is the same Glass on another tablet, also attached normally, not just lying there. One, you can see the edges, one not.
View attachment 126091

And I will make your OCD worst by saying that you forgot to mark/paint the edges of the IR light on the left haha. Looks great anyway, good idea

Corwin_Amber1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
And I will make your OCD worst by saying that you forgot to mark/paint the edges of the IR light on the left haha. Looks great anyway, good idea
Actually I could not stand the glass any more ;) And no, I did not forget it but did not want to mess the glass up and did not seem to have a fitting pen. However I took if off again, as the loss of contrast in bright light was too much for me.

But seriously, the effect is quite dramatic, looking at the pictures. I really wonder, why the manufacturers aren't doing it a smart way in the (glass protector) factory.

cocopops

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Actually I could not stand the glass any more ;) And no, I did not forget it but did not want to mess the glass up and did not seem to have a fitting pen. However I took if off again, as the loss of contrast in bright light was too much for me.

But seriously, the effect is quite dramatic, looking at the pictures. I really wonder, why the manufacturers aren't doing it a smart way in the (glass protector) factory.

So you took the Nillikin off? Howcome?

shawnmos

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
Just bought the Nillkin from Amazon for $12.99, which is the most I've ever spent on a screen protector BTW. I could have gotten it for $9 on ebay but decided that it was worth the extra $4 to get it in 2 days via prime than a month from China.

Hope it works better then the $3 one I got on ebay. That one was lifting up so bad on the edges that I complained to the seller and they sent me a new one. Same issue of course. Don't know how they can sell these if they don't work. Guess enough people just eat the cost so it's still profitable for them to sell junk.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo