I Can't Deal With The 950XL Anymore...

Zoolok

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
This was my experience exactly when I upgraded to Windows 10 on my Lumia 1520 (to give it one more shot). It was the latest available version (10.586, then upgraded to the newest one, then did a hard reset), and it was just not usable at all:

• The camera rarely starts at all, and if it does start, it rarely manages to save the image
  • Edge crashes most of the time, it is very hard to visit any website in it
  • Maps also crash in mid-use
  • As does Groove Music (and it has that annoying thing where it would keep redrawing the song title when you move to the next song); but it usually stops working after a few songs
  • Cortana also crashes, and that hit me the most :(
  • The phone suddenly gets hot for no apparent reason (just sitting idly on a desk)
  • Sometimes it rapidly drains the battery and sometimes it doesn't charge the battery; it is a new (2 month old) battery that gives me almost three full days on WP 8.1
  • It randomly loses the signal, so I am unreachable and can't make calls until the signal comes back
  • The messages app also crashes a lot
  • Not a crash - but the People App is very, very ugly and has lost the contact history section the the People Hub in WP7/8 had

The thing is, I really like WM10, the live tiles look a lot better than on WP8, and Outlook and Office apps (when they work, they also crash sometimes) are very nice (Outlook especially, I think it is a lot better than the email solution in WP8). But it is simply unusable for me, at this point in time. I hope it succeeds, so I can come back to it in a year or so. I though that maybe the new Lumias didn't have these issues, but I see that they do, so I guess I will finally give Android a chance, in the shape of an LG G4. Wish me luck :D

Meredith43

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I've resolved the Office subscription issue from Xandros9's suggestion as far as I know. Snakebitten's suggestion to cycle the background operation for the camera seemed to have sped up the post processing, but only time will tell for the reboot issue. If Office works and the camera operates correctly, I can get by. Windows Phone has always been right for me since the WinCE palmtops and that's why the issues I've had in the last couple days have been so infuriating. Those five issues combined broke the deal, but I'm probably going to be down to three if all goes well and may hang on while continuing to complain about it.

I'm just using internal storage, however Snakebitten's suggestion seemed to have resolved the post processing speed. The reboot remains to be seen. I'm also contemplating a hard reset as a last ditch effort.

Wow-- I just tried SnakeBite's fix as well, and it made a huge difference. I was having very similar camera issues. The processing took so long I would give up half the time, but I think that "processing" glitch is what was crashing the phone. Time and use will tell on that issue. Thanks for posting and thanks everyone for responding civilly and helpfully!

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Good to hear a few guys are starting to tame the beast!
It would be nice if jumping on the bleeding edge was painless, but it isn't that easy sometimes.

And I'm a fella that literally supports fellow staff members with Apple, Google, and Microsoft products. All three have older stable stuff. And all three have "the latest" with bugs.
The one currently driving you nuts is always the worst one. :)

spe317

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
Beside some slight app crashes and maybe 3 resuming screens, I've not had a single problem other than my experience dealing with the online MS store.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Signal: Sounds like a faulty phone. Mine's reception is fine.e

The signal is fine until you compare it to the iPhone 6. Wife has a signal; I don't. Even at work - places where my iPhone had a signal, I'm finding the 950XL does not or comes in and out.

Heat: This isn't a valid complaint. Pushing power to the battery causes it to heat up, that's physics. My phone heats up during charging as well, not sure why that's surprising.

Well, the reason why I was complaining because I was in rage mode-haha. So yes, the L920 also heat up the same. This heat however, is damaging. My L920 developed that weird screen discoloration in the center because of it. Something for wireless charging folks to think about.

Power Button: As opposed to which location, on the top? Shoot me in the face if I have to go back to that, because a tall phone with a power button in top is a pain.

Opposite end of the Camera button would be nice.

Camera Button: There is a setting to prevent accidental launches, which stops the button from working if the proximity sensor is covered, not sure if you use that setting.

I've seen the setting, but not the option where the proximity sensor is covered. Will take a look at that and enable it.

Hello: Trying having a bad astigmatism. The iris scanner is a no-go for me. It just doesn't work through my heavily curved lenses. Luckily, I've never been one to PIN-lock my phone, so it doesn't affect me, but it sucks if you're one who uses it and has Hello ruined by that.

If it could scan my eyeball from 10-12" away, it'd be great.

Outlook: I don't even know what that is. Explain, please?

Laura took care of this :)

iPhone 5 Battery Life: What does that mean? Make sure you set apps to not run in the background. I don't use Skype, so I can't say what its deal is. I minimize the number of background apps I use myself.

It means battery life is terrible. I turn off all background for apps that I don't use, so that's not the issue. If you look at my screenshot from the first post, Messaging+Skype (I don't use Skype for messaging and haven't set it up) took the most battery. That has to remain active in the background and wouldn't you agree that it is usually high? I wasn't even texting that much that day.

Quiet Hours: I thought there were exception settings. Maybe WWF is being given an exception, or the developer needs to update to app to cooperate with the Quiet Hours setting. You should be able to go turn of sounds for the app in the settings as a whole, though not the best solution if you want them at times.

Yep.

Text Messaging: I don't group text. However, I've had no issues getting texts from the 3 or so relatives I have who use iPhones, nor the couple who use Android device.

Most of the time I receive it, but there has been quite a few instances where I get the "I texted you, didn't you get it?" as they show it to me on their iPhone.

Some of this sounds like faulty hardware. Some sounds like a need to re-install apps (like with Office, I had a similar issue at first).

I'll likely do a hard reset.

Just when I was thinking that maybe I can live with some of these issues as I was getting on the elevator, I pull out the phone and tried to turn it on. No response. Hold down power - nothing. I pried off the case, then the back plate to remove the battery in order to reboot the phone. I'm pretty certain now that it will go back and I will come back to WM later. Sigh...

Last edited:

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Just when I was thinking that maybe I can live with some of these issues as I was getting on the elevator, I pull out the phone and tried to turn it on. No response. Hold down power - nothing. I pried off the case, then the back plate to remove the battery in order to reboot the phone. I'm pretty certain now that it will go back and I will come back to WM later. Sigh...

You might catch a rash from somebody for doing that. But honestly, I can't figure out why. You gave the new car a test drive. And you aren't satisfied. Go test drive something else!

And they are all test drives because we don't keep any of this stuff for even the length of an average car loan. :)

pmartineau

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
WAZE was not updated since google purchase it. It's buggy on WP 8.1 almost useless.
Try it for a few day and comeback post your comment. I'm curious. I used it on my 920, 635. Did not try it on my 640.

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site
Signal: The 950XL has worse signal reception than my iPhone 6. An unconnected phone is a useless phone.
Today there was a firmware and radio firmware update, maybe this fixed the issue for you!
Heat: Beside it warming up when it's doing nothing, it warms up on the Nokia wireless charger.
Better than warm inside the core. This means the L950X has a good heat abstraction. And now is winter. ;)

Jay_TO

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
I was pretty close to being ready to pull the trigger on buying the 950XL outright however I keep seeing these user experiences... Sad.

Justin Engel

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I've been defending and fighting for windows phone for several years. It's sad. I'm actually known as the Microsoft ******. However, I no longer recommend windows phone to people.

I've seen pictures disappear before my eyes. The camera software is awful. At one point Bluetooth was really buggy (I think they fixed that now). Cortana with Ford Sync asks me if I want her to read my text then doesn't (Used to be my pride and joy of windows phone). Messaging + Skype app takes 35% of my battery; I don't use Skype and sent maybe 10 text messages. My brand new phone doesn't even last a day ... If I actually use my phone I have to charge it more than once a day (thank goodness for quick charging!). Apps just close at random (It doesn't happen every day, but it still happens enough). Windows 10 is very inconsistent. The back button closes some apps, other apps you have to manually close. Some things that worked beautifully in Windows Phone 8.1 no longer work in Windows 10 Mobile. Microsoft Edge just opens tab after tab and never closes them unless you do it manually. I have the Windows Feedback App pinned to my start screen. I report 2-3 bugs per day. I've had the phone for a month now, and I am still reporting bugs daily. This phone is not reliable.

Windows Hello is cool though. It works and it works fast. You just have to hold it up to your face.

Seriously though, it feels like I spent $600 to be a Windows 10 Mobile beta tester. I'm not using the technical preview. I used the technical preview on my old phone. The Lumia 950 does work better than the preview. In the past I bragged about windows phone and how someone should get it if they don't mind not having some of the apps. Now if someone asks me how I like my phone I say, "It's okay. It's cool. Oh! but don't get it! It's super buggy and might not have all of the apps you want." If someone who never owned a windows phone bought the Lumia 950 they would return it and never buy a windows phone again.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I've been defending and fighting for windows phone for several years. It's sad. I'm actually known as the Microsoft ******. However, I no longer recommend windows phone to people.

...snip...

Now if someone asks me how I like my phone I say, "It's okay. It's cool. Oh! but don't get it! It's super buggy and might not have all of the apps you want." If someone who never owned a windows phone bought the Lumia 950 they would return it and never buy a windows phone again.

Since having the 950XL, I tell folks that the hardware is great as is the camera, BUT it is quite buggy right now. If they're even remotely interested, I tell them they should wait a bit for things to get ironed out. I don't want to scare people away from the platform since Microsoft is finally having some buzz for all their new products, but to wait for the dust to settle. I too am known as the MS ******, but how can I be if I'm always playing/owning competing hardware?

I predict most bugs will have been squashed in the next six months and I could buy the 950XL for $399, but then the Surface Phone will be another six to eight months away which will make decisions difficult.

justforsabbath

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Its still a relatively new OS for Mobile give it sometime. I know there has been a delay in fixing things but I get positive vibes with the Universal App thing. Noticed some really cool new iOS apps hitting Windows 10. If they can get some essential universal apps like FB, Twitter, Instagram, Hangouts, Gmail, Youtube(By convincing Google) on to their platform would be great.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
There is no point complaining about lack of Google apps like Gmail and Hangouts. Google won't let that happen because they don't want Microsoft taking market share from them. Which tells you they must feel Windows phone has enough about it to be a threat one day.

Facebook and twitter are there, Gmail displays in exactly the same way as (Microsoft) Mail and the YouTube app I have works perfectly, as do the rest. Instagram is also there in beta but 6tag is just as good.

If nothing else your post just proves how a lot of people are misled into thinking those apps, or their equivalents, are not there. Yes there are gaps but overall it's a minor issue, not the major disaster most reviews would have you believe it is.

Do people spend their whole lives playing with apps? After 18 months with Windows phone I haven't missed a single app and the rest of the experience more than makes up for it anyway. My Lumia 930 is the only phone I have ever had that I can't put down. Stuff the apps myth.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Apple stuff works? I have a friend with an iPhone 6 and she is on her third one, it's been the worst phone she ever bought (her words). She recently sent a group message to 8 of us using various phones, including android and other iPhone users and my own Lumia 930. I got it, 6 other people didn't, none of whom was using a Windows phone. How do we know the text message issue isn't an apple one rather than a Windows one?

The phone the OP has must be faulty if it's that bad; think about it - if they were all that bad they would all be sent back although there is some obvious exaggeration in the post. As for people complaining about software issues though, it has been well documented that there are issues that need addressing so I would have to ask why people are buying them then complaining when they know there are issues?

Microsoft do seem to be quick at releasing updates for these phones so most issues should be sorted out pretty quickly. I won't be buying until after Christmas so it will be interesting to see what the position is come January.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
While your experience is definitely a bad one, I don't think you should knock it until you try a replacement. I've been using mine for 2 weeks now and it is the most pleasant experience I've had to date on Windows Phone. Just going to compare my experience with yours for the sake of others reading this, and hopefully convince you to try again with a new phone, if it happens on the new device then I definitely encourage switching to something you're more comfortable with.

1. The camera on my device has never crashed my phone once. "Adding finishing touches" can take a little while sometimes, but as it doesn't interfere with taking more pictures it doesn't really bother me, I know I'm going to get a good pic with my 950XL so I don't need to review every one, and I usually take 2-3 just to be sure as it's so quick to do so
2. Again I haven't had a single reboot.
3. I don't have a band so I can't comment here.
4. I am a very light Facebook user, so for browsing and the odd status it works fine for me. My girlfriends iPhone does seem to have a superior version so I'll give it that.
5. This is a known glitch, it's unacceptable but there is some methods for fixing it if I recall correctly.

• Signal: My signal is exactly the same as my 830, full bars at my house then varies from 2-5 while travelling depending if I'm in the country or not.
  • Heat: Phone is always cool when idle, however it does warm up when being used heavily but nothing I would consider alarming, my 830 did the same. Browsing internet and messaging it never gets warm. All phones heat up during wireless charging, it can't be helped.
  • Power Button: Personal preference but I actually like it, left hand grip feels very natural.
  • Camera Button: I have noticed the camera button is very delicate which is a good and bad thing, very responsive when you need it, bad when you don't. Can be turned off though when your phone is locked if it is a real bother so solvable.
  • Outlook: I love outlook, always turn focused inbox off as I really don't like it, personal preference again.
  • Battery Life: My battery life is great, 8am until around 10pm can vary from 40-70% depending on my usage, 40% being a lot of texting, browsing, reddit, music, picture taking and apps. Whereas 70% is just texting, calling and music with light internet browsing.
  • No Waze: It is availble as far as I'm aware.
  • Quiet Hours: Seems to be that app causing problems as it works fine here.
  • Text Messaging: My girlfriend has an iPhone and we text pretty often, never missed a text.
  • Text Message via BT: Never use this so can't comment.
  • Emailing Photos: I've emailed a lot of photos from my 4 different email accounts and never had a problem.

Google any other top phone with the word "crashing" after it, you'll get threads of people bashing the phone for not doing it's job. Everyone's going to have conflicting reports.

If Windows Phone is not for you right now that's ok! Just go for whatever makes you happy :)

I always thought that the first impression was the best one....

anton267

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I've had phone resets due to shooting pictures but that was when I had photos set to store on my SD card only. Changed from SanDisk to Samsung card and so far, no more reboots on that. Sorry if it was failing for you on internal storage, that makes no sense.

Yep, I'll second that. SanDisk is failing miserably. Switched to Samsung 64 Evo+ and wow, what a difference. This is not the phone's fault, just needs a quality microsd.

TheAdaro

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site
Haha.
I have been running a MS phone for the last 6 months but finally put it into the cupboard and went back to my Sony Z1 Android which runs faster, smoother, less buggy.

I was so hopeful that MS will join everything up with Win 10 on desktop, tablets and phone, but its just no where near ready for mobile devices yet. Even MS own apps such as outlook are better on Android than they are on Win10 (mobile or desktop!) Infact every single app produced by MS, delivered via their own MS store is terrible, and on the laptop/desktop I had to uninstall them all to replace those store versions with desktop developed software that does the same/better job.

v535

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
This 950XL that I have waited so long for is definitely going back - I just can't deal with it anymore. This phone was released with many bugs and we're expected to just live with it and wait for the updates. I did. I installed the .36 update hoping that it resolved just enough issues for me to keep it. I'll be back eventually, but this thing has got to go and here's why.

I'll just list the dealbreakers first. These are ranked from the most dealbreakerest to the least, but each of these are almost equally bad for my case and combined brings me to kicking it to the curb:

1. The camera: The hardware itself is good, however the software behind it makes me want to throw it to the ground. Not only does it take in excess of 30 seconds for it to "Add finishing touches," but snapping a photo has crashed my phone more than just a few times - about 3 times yesterday and once today. That is completely unacceptable. As for the post processing, I cannot delete nor zoom in a photo while it's doing its business. You have this guy who touts WM as a great phone OS, but when this stuff like this happens it is embarrassing. The moment the phone crashed several times yesterday, that was it for me.
  2. Rebooting in my pocket: Whip out the phone and stick it six inches from my face for Hello to scan my eyes only to see that it requires me to enter my PIN since it has been reset. WTH, this has been happening pretty often and not to mention that it is warm to the touch.
  3. Doesn't play nice with Band: It is as if the Band and the Phone were made by two different companies. Incoming call that I try to dismiss so I can get my phone to be quiet - 70% chance it'll work. Incoming text I just need to type "Ok" from my quick response - 60% it'll actually work, so you better pull out the phone anyways to see if it actually went through which negates the usefulness of having the Band.
  4. Facebook: Yes, it's not made by the Zuck himself, but this dogpile app in both the regular and Beta is just dogpile. Post a photo and there's a chance it doesn't upload. Post a photo and the location check-in doesn't work, however you can work around it by doing a Check-In first, then add the photo which is bull. I use Facebook both personally and for business to extend my brand, so it is important enough that it breaks the deal for me. Other issues as well, but usability issues of just publishing my content is enough.
  5. MS Office: Just a few days ago, I fire up Excel to enter some mileage only to find that my license expired for Office 365. Expired? I've never had to pay for Office on my phone since Windows Mobile (the CE 1.0 WM), so WTH is this? I check it on my iPhone which is signed on the same account and it's fine. Maybe it's just me and someone here can clarify it for me, but I just don't have time to go looking for a solution - I already did spend some time already.

I am not happy to go back to my iPhone 6 + Watch, but right now I just need something that "just works." That Apple quote, ugh. It is sad for me to come to this point - not recommending this phone to anyone and not recommending anyone go WM10... right now. I am a big supporter of all these MS things, but damn Windows 10 needs work all across the board - even my Surface Pro 3 is problematic since the upgrade. The other problems with this phone are:

• Signal: The 950XL has worse signal reception than my iPhone 6. An unconnected phone is a useless phone.
  • Heat: Beside it warming up when it's doing nothing, it warms up on the Nokia wireless charger.
  • Power button: Some people like the placement, I don't .
  • Camera button: I love having a dedicated camera button, but not when it's too easy to activate in my phone or holster.
  • Hello: Putting the phone six inches from my face is hardly better than a fingerprint scan, because it's uncomfortable to look at the screen to see if it unlocked yet.
  • Outlook: iOS has Focused inbox, WM doesn't. There are many other features that WM Office gets shafted and needs to catch up, but &*#%$~!!!
  • iPhone 5 Battery Life: WTH is draining my battery?! Checks. Messaging + Skype has been drawing 33%+ of the battery? WTH!!!
  • No Waze: This is Google's fault, but raaage!
  • Quiet Hours: Quiet until Words With Friends wants to let me know that it's my move. Shut up!
  • Text Messaging: Rock solid, unless someone is texting you with an iPhone and then maybe you'll get it. Or, you're Group Texting and one of them is using an Android, therefore you replies doesn't always stay in the group chat. iPhone+Android = practically everyone else.
  • Text Messaging via BT: Cortana asks if I want to read the text and I say "read it" with a 50% success rate compared to 90% on my old L920. Better yet, it's a group text from iOS users so Cortana reads the message back as: "No Subject."
  • Emailing Photos: Trying to attach two screenshots for this post via the Photo>Share and it doesn't respond to my selecting the email account I'm trying to send from.

I feel like Microsoft might be spread too thin - fighting battles on too many fronts, so it pushes out products like Google. Everything is Beta. This phone is going back even though the Continuum dock will be delivered Monday. Doesn't matter. I'll repurchase this phone after I see some of these problems get cleared up and the inevitable price drop. I want to support and I tried, but I just can't hang with this, so back it goes.
Raaage!
View attachment 119241View attachment 119242
Yeah. Its a bummer. Think it this way: You bought a Ferrari or Lamborghini and upon inspecting it, you found only the driver's seat is missing rest all is intact.
Moderator(s) can delete this post if found inappropriate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss