Slow WIFI on 950XL

Tomika1234

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Good folks, I have been using my 950Xl since its out but the WIFI is annoyingly slow on it. I have a nice WIFI AP and it does both 2,4 and 5 Ghz and it does AC/N as well. I have the option to turn ON multiradio as well. Based on the spec the phone is enabled with "Wi-Fi: WLAN IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, MIMO, Wi-Fi call".
My phone on the WIFI network is about 10X slower compare to my Surface SP3 or wife's IPhone 5S. no matter what I do, connect to 2,4 or 5 Ghz, combined or not. It never goes beyond 8 Mbps while the other mentioned devices reaching 100 Mpbs..
Any idea? Is it expected or I have a faulty unit?

rfr0st

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
I also have some issues with my wifi on my XL. But for me, only the upload speed is suffering.
Download i get full speed about 100mbit but upload only around 15mbit. All my other devices are working fine including my SP2.

What model of AP or router do you have?
Do you have another AP to test with?
Can you separate the 2.4 and 5 ghz band to two different APs?
Have you tried to only run in 5ghz mode?
Have you checked the surrounding channels for interference?

Tomika1234

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
I also have some issues with my wifi on my XL. But for me, only the upload speed is suffering.
Download i get full speed about 100mbit but upload only around 15mbit. All my other devices are working fine including my SP2.

What model of AP or router do you have?
Do you have another AP to test with?
Can you separate the 2.4 and 5 ghz band to two different APs?
Have you tried to only run in 5ghz mode?
Have you checked the surrounding channels for interference?

Thanks for your response and I have tried with different APs, 950XL felt short every time. I have tried only 2.4 Ghz and only 5Ghz and tried the mixed mode, pretty much the same result. I have the Motorola/Arris Gateway (SBG6782-AC) with Xfinity cable (Comcast). We have about 10 different devices computers, Apple craps and tried a friend's S6 edge, all of them works very well under any config I set my AP.. In addition I tried at work where WIFI is not really fast but coworkers get much better speed on iPhones. I am thinking to get a replacement unless its a SW limitation on WM10.
One additional info that is also frustrating that the ping is 60-70ms on 950Xl and 6-9ms with all the other devices.

rfr0st

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Sorry to hear about that, can't really think of anything than a faulty unit or some weird software problem?
Tried to reset your phone via the WDRT? Actually i never measured my network speed before i did that myself, so can't say if it might help.

The new firmware update updated the radio accorded to the thread, but not sure if that affects the wifi aswell?
Can't post links yet, but thread is "Just received an update".

For the record, I also have a really high latency clocking in around 50 ms which should be about 6 ms with my AP compared to other units at home or work with the same setups. The model i use is a Ruckus R600, so there shouldn't be any problem with throughput as my signal is steady at 40db.

Would be interesting what others have to say about their wifi speed? :)

WhiteSky

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi!
I am having the same problem. All other devices connect to my AP with their highest possible transfer rates - except for my Lumia 950 XL.
The AP is an AVM Fritz!Box 7490, supports Wifi AC and 2.4 and 5 GHz.
It shows for my Lumia a theoretically max of 833, while for the actual transfer rate it lists just 6 Mbps. Thus every time the device reaches for the internet it is slow to react.
Only once, where I had to restart the AP because of an issue, it listed the Lumia device connected with its max. transfer rate.

pavparx

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issue with my router, but I had problems with slow Wi-Fi with my android phone and tablet too, but with my new lumia 950 xl the situation got desperate. This router had by default enabled mixed protocol mode (802.11 b+g+n), after trying my old router which allowed me to have only 802.11n enabled, the problem was gone. The phone works properly now. Try disabling mixed modes for your Wi-Fi.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Stop using the speedtest app and use Microsoft Network speed one instead and post back the results.

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...work-speed-test%2F9wzdncrfhx52&token=PW7Dmjul

I am having a similar issue but it seems to be getting better, i dont know whats going on. When i first got the phone and tried it about 20 times on speedtest.net app i was only getting about 2-10 mbps down and 2-5 up. My ISP is 150 down/12up. When i test it on my Icon i get 80-150 down and 11-12 up consistently. It seems to be working fine on my Icon but not the 950 XL. I have my wifi split into 2.4 and 5 ghz. The issue persists on both. Today when i tried it on the 950 XL i was getting results all over the place from 30-155 down and 3-10 up. So it seems better than yesterday but not consistent. I tried downloading the networkspeedtest app and it's really no different the results are usually worse. I hope this gets fixed in a firmware update or software update. I can deal with bugs like apps crashing and whatnot but slow WiFi is really unacceptable on a brand new top of the line phone, theres really no reason for this.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Looks like the app is culprit and not the actual speed of the phone. This eases my mind a bit to know that our phones are not messed up or the 950 XL is broken in some way. The Speedtest.net app and the MS network speed test app just dont play well with the 950xl or they just arent very good in general. I know this because i went to the new speedtest.net beta site which does not require flash and i am getting perfect results every time right where i should be for up and down. 120-150 down and 11-12 up. So this lets me know the phone is working properly and downloading and uploading at a rate it should be and the issue is with the apps and the phone. the website is beta.speedtest.net check out the attached pic.

gixer01

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Same issue on 950. Downloading updates, web browsing and using apps. Turning off Bluetooth instantly solved the problem. Upload doesn't seem to be affected but download was 32 times quicker with Bluetooth off. Shame, I recently got a band 2. Hope this helps with 950xl.

Mitzo Mitzov

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I have had the 950XL now for 2 weeks and i am having the same issue with the upload. I am using the Microsoft app but still i get only max of 10mb while my download is over 200Mb. I am testing on a 500mb/500mb circuit at work. The LTE upload is also slower compared to my wife galaxy S4. No matter what i do i cannot get more the 10mb on the LTE as well, when she is getting over 20mb. Phones are tested one after another next to each other. I hope Microsoft addresses this issue. I did disable Bluetooth as recommended here but nothing changed. This is my first Windows phone and apart from the camera the rest is not worth the $629 price tag. This phone performs as good as any $300 phone tops.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
sorry but I find the MS app not accurate or reliable... also just to maybe inform you, I thought I had a bad wifi on my 950XL the other day because I tested on my SP3 and got my normal reading of my speeds, then tried it with my GF's phone (galaxy android phone) and she also got a bad reading, so then I tried with my trusty old L1520 which NEVER had bad speeds and that ALSO got bad speeds... turned out it was my internet provider doing maintenance or it had problems and only affected cell phones... which I find strange and puzzling because my SP3 and computers all got normal speeds but all (and only) cell phones were effected...

Ben Hanchett

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Well, I'm having the same problems. Unfortunately, still having slow speeds. Tried Speedtest app, Speedtest beta site. Never getting over 25Megs down on 150 meg service.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
@Ben well what is your internet speed cap? you do know it goes by what your speed cap is...right? so say you're paying for 15 up and 5 down, well it won't go over 15... now if you're paying for 30 down and getting 25, well that's different.

Ben Hanchett

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
@Ben well what is your internet speed cap? you do know it goes by what your speed cap is...right? so say you're paying for 15 up and 5 down, well it won't go over 15... now if you're paying for 30 down and getting 25, well that's different.
I'm paying for 150 and getting nothing faster than 20. Last time I tested, I got 3 down and 8 up. Smh.....

Bandit One

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
I just picked up my 950 last night and was having terrible issues with wifi connectivity even though my old 920 running windows 10 mobile build 10586.63 was having no issues. As it turns out, turning bluetooth ON seems to have solved much of the wifi problems. Hope that might help someone...or maybe someone might be able to tell my why that worked :wink:

LuckySXM

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
Same for me. Turning bluetooth on is the cure. But then I start to suffer from random reboots because of the unstable bluetooth as we all know. So choose: speed or stability. WTF. Good job microsoft !

Ben Hanchett

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site

What? Turning on Bluetooth? Never heard of this. I'll try it though. I had Cox come out to my house 3 times to check my speed. They verified 150 down. My 950xl still hasn't gotten over 50 using Speed test site, Speed test app, MS app.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb