950XL has no double-tap wake feature?

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone noticed on the 950XL (maybe on the 950 as well) that if you double tap the navigation bar at the bottom in a blank area, it turns the screen off? i can't find any option to turn it off and its kind of annoying if i go to press the back button more than once really quickly in that if i miss the back button, it just turns my screen off. i know this is the exact opposite thing of what people want, but i'm trying to find out if anyone knows how to turn it off.

Edit: I'm an *****. I post this and then almost immediately find the setting under "Lock Screen" options. My bad everybody. In any case, you'd think if you can have double tap to sleep, you should be able to do double tap to wake.
Lol there is a big difference. For it to wake with a double tap the touch layer in the screen has to be on all the time in some kind of state. When you put it to sleep you are using your phone so it's already on.

huungryshark

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
Tried to wake up the 950/XL with double tap always while playing around with it for a while.

can't go back waking up my device via button

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

zimilaci

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
I think they simply lack the needed hardware.

Wait what? I think its only a question of kernel.

Even on the old m7 htc was able to do it after the kernel modification...

godammmiittt!!!! I keep double tapping my 950XL to wake it up! GRRRRRRRRRR!!

EDIT: I've done it about 10 times already today alone.

Why? just hover your hand/palm whatever above the sensor... and the glance screen comes up... for me its even better than the double tap just for a fast check...

As for the unlock... yeah...double tap would be great :D

Last edited by a moderator:

ma678

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
Good to know 950XL doesn't have double tap that works great on my $30 640 LTE. No wonder MS has failed in mobile competition. There must be reason. This is it.

Rupert Holmes

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Good to know 950XL doesn't have double tap that works great on my $30 640 LTE. No wonder MS has failed in mobile competition. There must be reason. This is it.
And it also has tap to sleep, thus dispelling the thought that you could not have both. Glance works well, also. Back come off, just like the XL.
If it had a better camera, I might start carrying it.

XL went back, carrying 1020 w/8.1.

ma678

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
And it also has tap to sleep, thus dispelling the thought that you could not have both. Glance works well, also. Back come off, just like the XL.
If it had a better camera, I might start carrying it.

XL went back, carrying 1020 w/8.1.

Why not update to w10 then?

Rupert Holmes

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Afraid it will screw my 1020, it did in the early, early 2015 previews, and I do not like the circles in the people app. Yes, I sent in and upped others who complained about the circles, see how well that worked. See no advantage for the 1020. I am open to it, if someone has a reason.

The 640 is running 10.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
It is a problem with Windows Hello and the sensors. Probably they will add a switch to select hello or double tap.

I don't think it is. But what I do think will be cool to have is following scenarios:

1) Wake up phone with power button - Windows Hello is auto activated
2) Wake up phone with double tap - Windows Hello is auto activated
3) Wake up phone when on call or listening music - Windows Hello is only activated when you long press Start button.

This will solve SO many issues with Windows Hello and its sensors.

CLINTEL FERGUS

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
My windows hello is pretty buggy...when my eyes are not recognized the screens prompts that I should swipe up to enter my pin to unlock but when I do that the pin pad does not show up and the phone still unlocks....can anyone help with this.

martinfab

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
My issue is the constant use of the power button to get to the point that I can enter my pin or use the iris scanner. I went through some power buttons with my iphone and had to replace them. We need another option to get to the unlock screen.

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
My windows hello is pretty buggy...when my eyes are not recognized the screens prompts that I should swipe up to enter my pin to unlock but when I do that the pin pad does not show up and the phone still unlocks....can anyone help with this.

I would guess this is due to your setting of timeout before "requiring a pin/password" to unlock again?
Do you have yours set for 5,10,15? I have mine on 15, and noticed this, initially, thought it was a security issue, but realized it was my timing instead.

Try setting it to something short, like 30 seconds or 1 minute, and then see if it still unlocks, without recognizing you, or a PIN, after that time period, say 1.5 minutes or so?

I miss double-tap too, for the record, a lot.
I don't see the hover-on feature, this must be a 1520 or non-950 feature?

-pete

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site

Not sure if my other post went through here, so hopefully I'm not double-posting....
Anyway, I thought this happening on my 950 too, but it turns out it was my timeout-to-unlock setting at 15 minutes was the culprit.
The behavior is odd (okay, it's technically a bug, it shouldn't ask you for any sort of login if time < 15 min.), if you hit the on button before the timeout, and have "glance" enabled, it makes it look like it's required to log-in, when in reality, it's not, you can just swipe.

To test it, try changing your "Require Sign-in" option to 1 minute, and let the phone sit for 90 seconds or so, and then see if you can just open it without either Glance or a PIN.

-pete

PGrey

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I miss this feature so bad.

Yeah, agreed, I hate having to use my power button all the time. I've installed one of the "nice lock" type apps to suspend the system, which means I don't use the power button for that (I didn't care much for the double-tap on the menu bar, I engaged it one too many times accidentally).
I have double tap on my tablet, our kitchen PC, you name it, everything except my desktop (space-bar to resume), and now my phone, unfortunately...
I'm starting to wonder when I consider this a pretty serious downgrade (no VVM, double-tap, dual-SIM mostly a "penalty", no way to differentiate my weather Start icons, etc), vs just a "speedbump", on the way way to Redstone, and a pile of bugfixes...

fulnix

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I've been holding off on upgrading my 920 and no double tap is one of the main reasons. For the love of all things holy MS fix this!!!

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiebention