My Lumia 950XL hangs a lot, how can I fix this?

Gaurav Vishal

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
My Lumia 950XL hangs a lot

After getting the new update on Lumia 950XL (.36) the system frozes most of the times. I have already done hard reset, the keyboard crashing issue is solved but the system hangs (specially using whatsapp). I am not sure why. Continuum has become little sloppy, when paired with 40inch TV, the taskbar is cut off and start menu hangs. The phone really gets hot during charging and battery is as terrible as before. This OS is never going to be stable at best guess. I am starting to regret my purchase of Lumia 950XL, don't get me wrong but there are tons of great things with it. But those are additional and not basic functionality. Anybody have same thoughts or solution to above issue?

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: My Lumia 950XL hangs a lot

This OS is never going to be stable at best guess
I don't believe you can't tar the whole OS with the experience of one phone.
The latest build runs great on my Lumia 535.
If you have done a hard reset and are still having problems, then I would begin to suspect a hardware fault.

ReuelT

Jan 1, 2016
Visit site
Keep your 950XL as cool as possible as it may be getting too hot since it is very small & compact.
This is what I have done.
1. In the car, I replaced windshield holder (direct sunlight can freeze 950XL) with a magnetic air-conditioner vent phone holder so that it is being cooled by the car air-conditioner and away from direct sunlight.
2. In the house, I often place it on a small desk laptop fan cooler when it gets hot.
3. I always reduce the number of active tasks. Tab and hold the <- (return icon) and you will be able to see all the active tasks. Close those that are not needed at that moment.
4. Updated the software to latest & added more keyboard and voices for other languages. I had English (AU) only but MAPS needed UK/US voices pre-downloaded too. Other programs need correct language & language keyboards to work correctly too.
5. Sometimes, it appears to freeze because it is just updating the software/firmware and needed a reboot after updating..

950XL is excellent and I am very happy with it. MAPs work on my car blue-tooth well.
(I got rid of my Iphone because of endless trouble with car blue-tooth which only supports bluetooth 1.0 and HERE maps on IOS9 woudn't work in my car & Apple MAPS is inferior being inaccurate in Australia).

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: My Lumia 950XL hangs a lot

After getting the new update on Lumia 950XL (.36) the system frozes most of the times. I have already done hard reset, the keyboard crashing issue is solved but the system hangs (specially using whatsapp). I am not sure why. Continuum has become little sloppy, when paired with 40inch TV, the taskbar is cut off and start menu hangs. The phone really gets hot during charging and battery is as terrible as before. This OS is never going to be stable at best guess. I am starting to regret my purchase of Lumia 950XL, don't get me wrong but there are tons of great things with it. But those are additional and not basic functionality. Anybody have same thoughts or solution to above issue?

Do a hard reset using buttons, not via about.

opnuriz

Jan 27, 2016
Visit site
I have the same issues. I use my 950xl primarily for business and its been love-hate thus far. I have to hard boot the phone sometimes 3 or 4 times a day. It either freezes or drags when connected to my vehicle sometimes dropping calls midstream to restart. Continuum is a fantastic idea but is bugged with similar issues of not fitting TV sizes in hotels while travelling or hangs on disconnect. I am patiently waiting for the ultimate fix which I hopes happens soon. I don't know if this is a hardware or software issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb