01-10-2016 02:30 PM
235 ... 56789 ...
tools
    Yep it's ridiculous. Spent a lot of bucks on this stuff and inaccessible on W10. MS is so lost and behind, soon all us fanboys will jump to complete OSes that developers actually support
    Don't assume that isn't the intent. If you are going to kill off a product like W10 mobile, better to kill it with a thousand paper cuts and drive people to jump ship than announce killing it and and looking even worse to the base.

I don't think they want to kill WM10 but if they did, this is a plausible strategy. Better to have 80% of your mobile customers hate you but also feel sorry for you than have 100% hate you and the fanboys literally out for blood.
    Andrew Gordon likes this.
    12-29-2015 09:57 AM
    Start this video at the 38:30 mark: https://twit.tv/shows/windows-weekly...utostart=false

Microsoft's Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) Chris Capossela has admitted that the company's latest Windows Phones are not enough to reverse the ailing platform's fortunes. Describing the flagship Lumia 950 as simply "solid," he told host Leo Laporte and Microsoft journalists Mary Jo Foley and Paul Thurrott that the company has a lot more work to do before it can persuade people to "move from an iPhone to one of [Microsoft's] phones."

Solid? Yes, they phone doesn't come apart but operationally speaking....I would not use "Solid" as an adjective to describe this "Flagship" line!
    CraigCole likes this.
    12-29-2015 10:30 AM
    Being an early adopter is different to being a "beta tester". The same thing happens for many products when they first go to market.
    The excuses are getting pathetic. windows phone has been in existence for how long? MS is still introducing products into market?
    12-29-2015 10:39 AM
    Describing the flagship Lumia 950 as simply "solid,"
    It's telling that he doesn't even mention the 950XL, perhaps that's why it's such a mess. If your C level people wont even call the more expensive phone with a better SOC the "Flagship" you have a problem.
    12-29-2015 11:22 AM
    However it was not published in a timely manner. It was only published after a many people had pre-ordered their phones.
    12-29-2015 03:49 PM
    Yep it's ridiculous. Spent a lot of bucks on this stuff and inaccessible on W10. MS is so lost and behind, soon all us fanboys will jump to complete OSes that developers actually support
    Insteon? home automation, lighting, security etc? I tried some of their stuff, still have it here in home somewhere in storage.. Wasn't because MS or anyone selling me on it.. But even with my Lumia 920 before the 950 XL running 8.x or 10.x, their "app" only worked with certain devices or device revisions anyway. App wasn't that good, and they (Insteon) seem to not be supporting an "app" working with all versions of their main controllers that well anyway on other platforms. Last I looked at mine, they noted if the app didn't support the controller, to use a web interface (either NAT from outside, or some new cloud based solution that was web accessible on the Internet, involving your controller/s interacting with their system).

(to not sound hypocritical, I too am considering returning my dual sim 950 XL.. but not because of any given 3rd party app.. Well, not one I didn't already know would work or not work in Win 10 from my own testing on my 920 or didn't trust the company to keep updating for a new Win Phone version).
    12-29-2015 03:55 PM
    I too have spent a lot on their junk.

Insteon's controller apps have been broken long before Windows 10.

Like many "partners", Insteon setup support on WP and Windows 8... then went cold.

There support has been saying they're working on a fix for about a year, and then after W10 was released they claimed they were working on a Universal. I think they're full of it and just telling us what we want to hear.
    12-29-2015 09:40 PM
    I too have spent a lot on their junk.

Insteon's controller apps have been broken long before Windows 10.

Like many "partners", Insteon setup support on WP and Windows 8... then went cold.

There support has been saying they're working on a fix for about a year, and then after W10 was released they claimed they were working on a Universal. I think they're full of it and just telling us what we want to hear.
    Cool confirmation.

I should note, Insteon as an example of a company that I don't know if they can be sited as a company capable of making a traditional app. I say this, as even their full blown x86/x64 (or 32/64-bit if you want to call it that) Windows app for traditional Windows XP/Vista/7/8.x were not even really there either. This actually remind me how upset they were about the YouTube app MS released after the better one was pulled. They were soooooo upset about the new app that was basically a button that launched the YouTube webpage. Basically a shortcut/favorite/bookmark (take your pick). I have seen plenty of apps in other platforms that were nice web browser frames for a mini web page running on a remote http/etc host and not even local elements. If I wanted to just view html in a different browser, I would be asking for other browser choices. Not "apps" that just put a wrapper around/on a web browser.

The Insteon app for Win phone, btw... Didn't expect much after downloading the zip file with the full Windows app only to find the zip had a bunch of ".DS_Store" files in it (for those of you not or less familiar with Mac OS, -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.DS_Store). Their Mac OS app appeared a fair amount better though. All this makes sense though if you go back into news posts far enough to see the apparent focus on Insteon products being compatible first with Apple HomeKit (and only later starting to support some of the competing standard).
    12-29-2015 10:59 PM
    from phone issues to home automation...what a turn.
    12-30-2015 12:18 AM
    Here is a new one this morning on the 950.Pushed picture button and photo app came up BUT the iris scanner lamp stayed on. Took pictures and then put phone back to "lock" mode. Lamp stayed on still. Pushed wake/power button and iris lamp shut off and said it could not recognize me. Had to reboot phone to get Hello to work. I was able to replicate this 3 out of 5 times. This 950 is on build .29 and is ATT branded.

Chick or egg here? Meaning, hardware or software? I bet some would argue to return the phone while others will say it is the OS or even the app. See where this is all going?!?!?
    12-30-2015 09:08 AM
    Here is a new one this morning on the 950.Pushed picture button and photo app came up BUT the iris scanner lamp stayed on. Took pictures and then put phone back to "lock" mode. Lamp stayed on still. Pushed wake/power button and iris lamp shut off and said it could not recognize me. Had to reboot phone to get Hello to work. I was able to replicate this 3 out of 5 times. This 950 is on build .29 and is ATT branded.

Chick or egg here? Meaning, hardware or software? I bet some would argue to return the phone while others will say it is the OS or even the app. See where this is all going?!?!?
    Did you launch the camera from a locked phone? This has happened to me and crashes windows hello. Restart fixes it. Seems lime a software bug - needs to recognize not to launch iris scan when quick launching camera from locked phone.
    12-30-2015 09:13 AM
    I'm a MS fan through and through but I can't possibly recommend WM10 to anyone. Windows 10? Sure thing. The mobile OS is just a mess. I had it nearly brick my old 920 after it began to overheat randomly and then it got stuck in loop limbo while trying to reset it. I am confident the OS will be good but it should not have shipped in it's current state. I think a year from now we'll all say "remember when this OS was awful?" For now though, we have to live with the awfulness, lol. :/
    12-30-2015 09:37 AM
    There's two sides, die hard Lumia fans that are so happy about the hardware that they don't care about how buggy the software is at the moment and people who understand that the average consumer would just return the product back because the OS is too buggy.

We should be happy that there are people defending the device since they are the ones that are actually increasing Windows 10's numbers, making the platform more attractive for devs.
    New people increase windows 10's numbers not the same folks that have been using it and are loyalist. No company makes it just on these folks its about getting market share you don't get that by turning out half-baked OS and a not really flagship device. Bro you need to read desaideas1 post that is honest from a fan of the windows phone but keeping it real by not acting as if this is a great product. The company does not need folks defending it they are a billion dollar giant what they need is more people tearing at them to get off their buts and put that talent to work that they do have. Simple terms most people can cook however if you taste it its good enough to eat however its not great but they think it is you are the one that would be telling folks its great then they open a restaurant to have it fail because folks defending and lied vs facing the truth. Bad bad analogy I know but you get the gist.
    WayCool, MikeSo and theefman like this.
    12-30-2015 10:18 AM
    The way some people complain and attack the current state of affairs of windows mobile, it's really best for those to move onto the other platforms as it's not really worth being so angry about this kind of stuff :)
    Yup.. if that's the choice.... then bye ! 1.7% trending downward.. at what point do you no longer have an ecosystem/platform? I'm sure all the big social media sites will keep tending to their apps so the 200 people still using their W10M devices have a nice app. NOT.

Careful what you recommend. You may actually get it. ;) beside someone forks out $800 for a device.. and get's junk is likely to be a bit angry. J'sayn...

And just to be clear... Terry Myerson is in charge of W10M not Satya. The buck may stop at Satya.. but the "R" is with Terry !

Good luck to y'all. Guess I'll go look for an iPhone on fleabay cause there's nothing to see here.
    12-30-2015 10:34 AM
    Yup.. if that's the choice.... then bye ! 1.7% trending downward.. at what point do you no longer have an ecosystem/platform? I'm sure all the big social media sites will keep tending to their apps so the 200 people still using their W10M devices have a nice app. NOT.
    hehe but MS is not counting like that anymore, they are counting their over 200million win 10 devices (without breakdown :) cause w10 is pretty much the same thing.

I demo'd my continuum doc for the first time while first time opening the free dock I got. After firmware update of the dock, everything just worked during the demo! Edge is nicer on continuum than mobile it seems. Actually email is better on continuum than mobile. Kinda weird and definitely annoying, but not angry :). I bought this thing while accepting the fact it was going to go a few iterations of updates before getting really better. I even figure it will never be perfect until the unicorn phone in late 2016. Either way, I use the 950xl heavily as my only phone device and it's been decent enough for me.
    mariusmuntean and WayCool like this.
    12-30-2015 11:22 PM
    These phones are heaping piles of **** compared to the 6P and the iPhone. Be real.
    CraigCole likes this.
    01-01-2016 06:40 PM
    These phones are heaping piles of **** compared to the 6P and the iPhone. Be real.
    Yea but wait to you see the Surface Phone... :)
    My guess, it will be like the Note "6" with a completed bug free Win 10, with a stylus pen of course!!
    01-01-2016 06:48 PM
    I know what I am getting myself into.... it's called the forefront of new technology, .
    ๐Ÿ˜ *cough*... Its a mobile (portable) phone mate. I've used one since they first came out in the 80's.....
    Captpt likes this.
    01-01-2016 06:53 PM
    I would like to agree to you completely but the below screenshot does not allow me to agree. Issues are there in every OS and phones.
    macrumor2.png
    01-01-2016 08:26 PM
    Just to add on, here are the issues faced when Samsung Note 5 was released.
    s5issues.png
    01-01-2016 08:38 PM
    "Somebody" heard our opinions!
    Microsoft stopped selling 950XL and no ETA!
    This is an answer from all MS stores, including on-line, by phone or chat.

I hope, they will start sail after solving all problems what we complained about.
    But I'm skeptical about "fixing all problems"...
    01-02-2016 10:24 AM

The biggest thing that ticks me off about this garbage is the button placement. What ergonomic genius though it was a good idea to put the wake/power button in between the volume buttons? Why depart from the layout on the 950? I can't tell you how many times I push the wrong buttons and it has gotten to a point where I am simply just fed up.
    I am not going to talk about other things, I just want to explain you that... you can take screenshots now with only one finger, you go from power to volumes in a second, you have them on your reach if needed. maybe it doesn't sound obvious to you, but try to take a screenshot on other Windows Phone with one finger? you cant.
    You never thought about it? maybe for you it's bad placement but those things you just get used to.

I mean taking a screenshot with one finger is faster than moving your fingers and hand or using both hands. maybe for you is not critical but as you can see, there is a reason why powerbutton is in the middle. you always start by pressing the power button on 950 anyway.

Anyway your other words are just your opinion, and some can be improved with updates and all. but I wanted to comment just no that power button issue., maybe you already got used to it? maybe you already sold your 950, but I wanted to explain you a logical thing about it. you only need to get used it to it, like you get used to many things when you are in a new place, new house, new bathroom, new door, new anything can have different layouts and configurations, it doesn't mean it's bad.
    anthonyng likes this.
    01-02-2016 02:01 PM
    I am not going to talk about other things, I just want to explain you that... you can take screenshots now with only one finger, you go from power to volumes in a second, you have them on your reach if needed. maybe it doesn't sound obvious to you, but try to take a screenshot on other Windows Phone with one finger? you cant.
    You never thought about it? maybe for you it's bad placement but those things you just get used to.

I mean taking a screenshot with one finger is faster than moving your fingers and hand or using both hands. maybe for you is not critical but as you can see, there is a reason why powerbutton is in the middle. you always start by pressing the power button on 950 anyway.

Anyway your other words are just your opinion, and some can be improved with updates and all. but I wanted to comment just no that power button issue., maybe you already got used to it? maybe you already sold your 950, but I wanted to explain you a logical thing about it. you only need to get used it to it, like you get used to many things when you are in a new place, new house, new bathroom, new door, new anything can have different layouts and configurations, it doesn't mean it's bad.
    There are more good reasons for prefer the XL buttons arrangement, but hey, it looks that it is cool to say XL Sucks because "reasons". For one hand usage, the 950 arrangement is a bad idea for XL, also, the new volume key position allow more space between camera key and power key, no more pressing buttons for mistake.

This thread has stopped to be funny to become something weird.
    01-02-2016 02:11 PM
    There are more good reasons for prefer the XL buttons arrangement, but hey, it looks that it is cool to say XL Sucks because "reasons". For one hand usage, the 950 arrangement is a bad idea for XL, also, the new volume key position allow more space between camera key and power key, no more pressing buttons for mistake.

This thread has stopped to be funny to become something weird.
    The power button in the middle is not inherently bad. At least a couple of other manufacturers do this, but it is on the back of the phone in the instances I know. This seems weird, but it is even easier to use and you don't accidentally push the buttons when holding the phone. That said, I think the 950xl buttons still don't make sense to me.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    01-02-2016 07:53 PM
    The power button in the middle is not inherently bad. At least a couple of other manufacturers do this, but it is on the back of the phone in the instances I know. This seems weird, but it is even easier to use and you don't accidentally push the buttons when holding the phone. That said, I think the 950xl buttons still don't make sense to me.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

It is because the phone size, have you used the Lumia 1520? It is huge and it is hard to use with a hand. If it don't make sense to you probably it is because you haven't owned a big phone (phablet).
    01-02-2016 10:44 PM
235 ... 56789 ...