Who is in charge of this junk? Seriously!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Satya should discipline W10 Mobile team severely. If this was my company, I would have been fired for not timely executing the project schedule and for releasing a crap half baked product that upsets it's core customer base and eliminates any chance of gaining new customers from competing platforms. Can anyone honestly state for example, scores of iOSers or Androiders would switch to this halfbaked garbage?

Last edited:

Gunbust3r

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
The replaceable battery is great for when the device is 2+ years old, when you can put a new one in. These devices with non-replaceable batteries are essentially disposable. Which is how people like it I guess.

At that two year point you get the choice of a ludicrously marked up OEM battery. Something like $70 that could have gone towards a new phone. Not to mention it might be a fake or degraded from sitting on a shelf for those two years. Or you get an amazon china special no brand and hope it detects, has okay run-time, and doesn't melt down or explode.

I guess people like those options...

bitfidler57

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
I still have WP 8.1 on my 1020 and I have the occasional Bluetooth streaming problem described by the original poster. It eventually clears up but listening to the noise it makes for 2-3 minutes is a bit much.

I had no end of problems with WM10 so went back to WP8.1. I've also had a pile of problems from EVERY system I upgraded to Windows 10. The ONLY one that works more-or-less okay is the one I re-installed from scratch. Windows 10 in general seems to be quite a large Alpha (not Beta) release. Perhaps they're following Google on "everything is a beta" view. This certainly is not the Microsoft I knew before. Emphasis on quality has certainly evaporated. The problem is, if they're hoping to get more dedicated customers that want to keep coming back, the current approach is driving away their stalwarts and newbies are avoiding the platform.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Satya should discipline W10 Mobile team severely. If this was my company, I would have been fired for not timely executing the project schedule and for releasing a crap half baked product that upsets it's core customer base and eliminates any chance of gaining new customers from competing platforms. Can anyone honestly state for example, scores of iOSers or Androiders would switch to this halfbaked garbage?

Garbage is a bit extreme but I totally agree with you!!
It was and is totally unacceptable for MS to release the 950/950XL in the state they were/are in, a couple bugs is one thing but this debacle borders on disregard for the average consumer,.
HONESTLY would you recommend to your friends and family to plop $650 down on the 950XL?? Really?? Many XL users can't even use LTE and VVM.
Sadly this isn't isolated to just W10 mobile, anyone like myself who has a Surface Pro 3 tablet will attest our tablets ran MUCH smoother and battery life was much better pre-W10, its almost like MS felt they HAD to get the whole Win 10 platform out by a certain time frame when neither W10 or W10 Mobile was truly ready for prime time use. At least once a day I think about reverting my SP3 back to Win 8, same goes for my phone!!

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
At that two year point you get the choice of a ludicrously marked up OEM battery. Something like $70 that could have gone towards a new phone. Not to mention it might be a fake or degraded from sitting on a shelf for those two years. Or you get an amazon china special no brand and hope it detects, has okay run-time, and doesn't melt down or explode.

Personally I prefer that option buuut, this brings up the point about my L830. Tried looking for a spare 6-7 months ago and recall availability was pretty much non-existent here in Canada, did the same a few days back and to my surprise still a rare commodity. As you mentioned, the few I did find are overpriced and the chances of getting a "used" one appears very high, even found listings of people selling their used ones for ridiculously high prices. Think in my case the appeal for the phone or lack thereof is playing a big role here, had no issues finding same for my Samsung Ativ S when it neared the 2 year mark and prices were more than reasonable.

In the end it comes down to personal preference obviously but do think it is a good thing, at least the option is there if the need arises whereas when built-in, most would need to send phone to a repair facility and doubt many would bother. Too many devices in general today are becoming designated as "throwaways" which isn't necessarily a good thing, it may have outlived "ones" expectations yet I'm sure many others would welcome it with open arms, if it can't be readily/cheaply revived then it does no one any good.

Besides, in my opinion the trends of deploying non-removable batteries, lack of expandable memory etc. is just a marketing scheme to keep a stranglehold on the consumer.

Last edited:

Josh Harman

Banned
Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
So when you click on an SMS notification from the lock screen, it takes you to the SMS, and not a black screen?

You mean selecting a toast notification of a text from the lock screen?

I'm pretty sure that works correctly, I haven't noticed a black screen. Again, I'm having NO issues. This is after a year of living through hell with four junky 830 Lumias.

I'll send a test text to double check and update this post if it does give me a black screen.

Edit: Just tested to make sure and no black screen. Selecting the message from the lock screen goes straight to the thread in the messaging app. In line reply from yhe lock screen worked too.

My 950 is on .36 update with no special settings and not on the new firmware update yet.

Last edited:

Josh Harman

Banned
Apr 24, 2013
Visit site

Not necessarily, I replaced my 822 battery with a Nokia factory replacement for $30.

desaideas1

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Now that there is a Microsoft label on the battery, I'm inclined to believe that there will be a path of availability. It may take a little calling around, but if there is a repair inventory set aside, which I can't imagine their wouldn't be for an enterprise focused device, there will be some method to the madness.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
W10M has no blame for someone not getting LTE and\or VVM.

Microsoft is accountable for many complaints with the current early release underdeveloped OS(s). But they have no control over cellular provisioning and the obstacles faced by owners of unlocked phones with their carriers.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
part of the issue is how WP used to be the unstoppable OS, stability was its second name, and did I mention SMOOTHNESS? not even the crappiest hardware could make it skip a frame, not even in "dev prev" and battery life simply wasn't a problem, see how the windows version of the htc one m8 had like 3 times the battery endurance of the android one

now all that is gone, and for what, continuum? lol... lets go cry in a corner..

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site

The main visual voicemail issues are all Microsoft, in fact. Dual-SIM Windows phones don't support VVM. Microsoft for some reason chose to only ship dual-SIM phones to the US. So it's Microsoft's fault that most of us don't have VVM.

anon(9739099)

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
My experience has been opposite. I bought a 950xl after a lot of trouble (MSFT not shipping and cancelling order yada yada). It has been pretty stable, no reboots, no black screens, Hello is pretty accurate. I did see my phone hang up once when I was updating 50 apps and browsing..a quick reboot cleared it. Prior to this I had a Nexus 6p, system UI would crash every single time when I opened the settings app, had to do a factory reset to get it working. After the factory reset my backup didn't work and I had to setup my phone all over again! Sent it back and bought a 5x, I liked it and it was pretty stable. But...after 2 weeks it had touchscreen problems. I would see a touch registered in a completely different corner of the screen when I touched the home icon. According to google the solution was a factory reset. I sent that junk back to google. I just wish I had video to prove it

desaideas1

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site

Microsoft is accountable for many complaints with the current early release underdeveloped OS(s). But they have no control over cellular provisioning and the obstacles faced by owners of unlocked phones with their carriers.

That's not how accountability works. If the 950 is available on ATT with the correct settings, there should be literature and thoughtfulness from Microsoft on how to get the 950XL to operate within expected parameters. In the end, user experience is paramount, and facilitating user experience is how great brands ensure customer experience. To contrast, the iPhone 6/6s unlocked under payment plans has ZERO issues with service experience from the carriers. So all in all, I find your logic to be flawed and less than relevant.

kingjah

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Yet none but these OSes run a common core across all devices except Windows. Sure you don't see the fruits yet as they just achieved the first step of the convergence with the launch of Win10. Do you coffee shop warriors even begin the realize how difficult this it? Seesh! Still I feel bad for all those ppl experiencing problems with their phones

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Not saying this is what will happen, but a common core isn't going to matter much if the end-user experience is so bad that it kills off one of the branches. (I don't actually think that will happen - mobile is too important for that - but trying to prove a point.)

Yes, of course what they're attempting to do is incredibly difficult. This isn't gymnastics though. You don't get points based on the difficulty of the routine. All that matters in the end is if that makes a better experience for users. Right now, it's hard to argue that it does.

I'm ecstatic about some of the new functionality that is present in W10M (most specifically things like attachments in emails)... but it's a very buggy experience that isn't ready for wide release... despite being sold on $600 phones.

techgeek32

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I returned two 950xl's and a SP4. Just too many bugs and missing basic work features. I have a SP3 that is way more stable and will wait to see if Microsoft makes the necessary improvements. I am familiar with new OS's and the bugs that need to be ironed out. Some of the shortcomings I can deal with but not being able to sync tasks and open my work spreadsheets is a deal breaker for me. I also don't like the fact that when using the smallest text size setting the calendar view options change which makes the phone something different. Much of it I like but it is not worth $650 in its current state. I am cheering for Microsoft and hope that WM10 becomes what it needs to be.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
That's not how accountability works. If the 950 is available on ATT with the correct settings, there should be literature and thoughtfulness from Microsoft on how to get the 950XL to operate within expected parameters. In the end, user experience is paramount, and facilitating user experience is how great brands ensure customer experience. To contrast, the iPhone 6/6s unlocked under payment plans has ZERO issues with service experience from the carriers. So all in all, I find your logic to be flawed and less than relevant.

Are you saying Microsoft should publish literature for the consumer that relates to how AT&T should provision a 950XL?
It isn't my "logic" that concludes that AT&T isn't properly supporting the unbranded IMEI's. It's actually a fact. Temporary, I believe.

I admire your thorough posts and your elegant vocabulary. But stating that my post is "less than relevant" is a bit reaching.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Are you saying Microsoft should publish literature for the consumer that relates to how AT&T should provision a 950XL?

Again, visual voicemail has nothing to do with AT&T. That's all on Microsoft's end. It's Microsoft who sold users a dual-SIM phone (and many of those users had no idea they were getting dual-SIM until the phone arrived). It's Microsoft who doesn't support visual voicemail on dual-SIM phones. Sure, some of the early provisioning issues were AT&T not having the IMEI in their system... but the problems with AT&T service that are occurring now are all on Microsoft. Trying to pin the blame on AT&T is just making excuses for MS at this point.

And as for the LTE provisioning, which is fixed already so far as I've seen on the forums... well that IS kind of Microsoft's fault as well. They launched the 950XL in a rush on Thanksgiving just to make it out in time for the holiday shopping season, and AT&T didn't yet have the IMEI information allocated to Microsoft for these devices in their system yet. Those are the types of logistical things that a company generally takes care of behind the scenes weeks before launch. As the person you're responding to was alluding to, Apple provided that data to AT&T early enough that there was no issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss