Who is in charge of this junk? Seriously!

Status
Not open for further replies.

noirsoft

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I don't know the technical details of why the 950XL does not do VVM, but AT&T definitely has the ability and a history of arbitrarily restricting phones from using VVM. FOr example: I originally bought a Lumia 520 as part of the Go Phone program and it had VVM enabled, but when I took the exact same phone and used a regular AT&T SIM in it, they would not support VVM. So, your assertion that AT&T ha "nothing" to do with the availability of VVM is generally false.

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Best thing you could do now is to move to another platform. There are some of us who are totally satisfied with the W10 implementation even in the beta format. I'm using it on my trusty 920 and there are next to no bugs now. Move onto another platform of your choice my friend...

Zebbie

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Strang that there are so many problems with the 950 and 950XL.

W10 works like a charm on my and my wife 930...fast,no bugs,no restarts or reboots even not apps hanging or closing...only battery life is a little less.

Seems really a problem with the 950 and XL and not the platform.

Maybe bad batches or so because other 950 users have less or none problems?

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
So, your assertion that AT&T ha "nothing" to do with the availability of VVM is generally false.

AT&T has to provision the account for visual voicemail in general for it to work, and there are definitely backend things that can be at fault. But I'm not talking about visual voicemail in general, I'm talking about visual voicemail with this very specific device / problem. The only reason that the unlocked 950 and the unlocked 950XL do not support VVM is because they are dual-SIM.

Pappa Ed

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
I literally have none of the issues you have stated...
And the ones that's that aren't software issues like the button placement? I actually like it...
Also, use Facebook Beta, much better than the "Facebook" app.

The new button placement is great for one finger screen shots. I'll admit it took a few minutes to get used to but now that I have, I'm fine with it. I agree with the Facebook app. POS.

My experience with my unit has been over all positive. Best phone I've owned to date with my 1520 as a close second.

Petru Moldovan

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Strang that there are so many problems with the 950 and 950XL.

W10 works like a charm on my and my wife 930...fast,no bugs,no restarts or reboots even not apps hanging or closing...only battery life is a little less.

Seems really a problem with the 950 and XL and not the platform.

Maybe bad batches or so because other 950 users have less or none problems?
Yes, it used to work like crap, but with the new firmware and latest insider build it works like a charm. This is the software for public use, not the one in the box, which is offending the non-tech guys.

bulutsuzgece

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I think none of MS team members are using their own brand Lumia!. They're all using iphone on their daily-drive. Lumia devices are only test devices for them while they're at the office. Because of this silliness, every build/update has many different bugs and developing process is very slow. They should be blind not to see how the OS is in a mess. I dont expect anything till the end of 2016. May be their "Surface Phone" will change some things and the OS will have been a little better by then (Q32016).
I decided to swith to droid and use it until W10M really finished.

mayconvert

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi there.

If you've been reading around, you may have realised that not everyone's experience of the 950XL is bad. However, the people who don't like it or are having issues seem to think it's the worst thing that's ever been released by Microsoft.

Facebook is being re-written from the ground up and we're hoping to see something significantly better in the near future. Having said that, I don't really do Facebook as I don't really like seeing what my friends cat has vomited up lately...

Yeah, rebooting phones is a fairly common occurrence to clear blocked processes, especially after an upgrade process, it's not really all that new. As you've mentioned "four releases", you're probably entered yourself into the fast ring, so you need to take a little more rough with your smooth there (being in software development yourself, you know that the first QA builds aren't the best). We're also first adopters of this new wave of hardware/software. You know how that goes as well.

However, in your last statement, you're closer to the truth than you realise. Microsoft did indeed let go of an awful lot of great (ex-Nokia) people in the middle of development for these handsets (950 and 950XL). We're paying the price for that, but given those circumstances, Microsoft has (in my opinion) released an amazing device that will get only better over time (like the Xbox One went from awesome to even more awesome on an almost monthly basis).

But, you're probably right and better off buying an Android or an Apple device. Apparently they're fantastic and never go wrong.

I would like to say that you saying Rebooting phones is common is completely wrong and very bad information. There are a lot of tech ignorant people out there that come here looking for info. they see your name green and labeled MODERATOR and they think "this guys must know what he's talking about". "My phone rebooting 6 times a day must be ok, there is nothing wrong with my phone, rebooting is "normal" ....

No it is NOT. I have several different phones and NONE of them reboot on their own. I think I have seen that happen 2-3 times in the last 4 YEARS on Android and iPhones.. Even my Nokia 1520 and 640 don't reboot on their own for no reason (on 8.1 OS)
So 2-3 times per DAY is giving people bad information. Giving information like that is why people end up keeping a bad device for more than 14 days where they are stuck with it for 2 years or obligated to pay $30 a month for the next 24-30 months.

Reboots may be more common if you are on beta software but the Lumia 950/XL released with non beta software. If the released version is rebooting regularly, then the OS is garbage or the phone is defective and should be returned before the 14 day return period is up.

bucfan11

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
Not sure where or when the term "Windows Fan" came into play, meaning in the context sense "we must now be willing to put up with idiosyncrasy otherwise the platform is not for you?, when I came back on-board in late 2012 I?m pretty sure that was not the sediment nor was it in the early stages of W10Ms evolving.

And therein lies the problem, MS keeps changing the game to such a degree that the die-hard Windows Fans of the past are getting the short end of the stick and we're expected to "grin and bear it" or leave. Out of the four major players look who has been in the mobile OS business the longest, 2000(1996), and tell me it has progressed well. In my opinion W8.1 seemed to be the most promising with a favorable outlook for the WP platform, then MS dropped it like a lead balloon, sure W10M may be the next best thing but who's to say that won't come to an end in another 6 months, past history tells a story does it not?
W8.1 is the best mobile OS available, I think it is far better than iOS or android and a lot of people agree. W8.1 helped the platform grow exactly none at best, so it was not working. I do believe W10 will be the last reboot of mobile, it'll either work or MS will abandon phones.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I returned two 950xl's and a SP4. Just too many bugs and missing basic work features. I have a SP3 that is way more stable and will wait to see if Microsoft makes the necessary improvements. I am familiar with new OS's and the bugs that need to be ironed out. Some of the shortcomings I can deal with but not being able to sync tasks and open my work spreadsheets is a deal breaker for me. I also don't like the fact that when using the smallest text size setting the calendar view options change which makes the phone something different. Much of it I like but it is not worth $650 in its current state. I am cheering for Microsoft and hope that WM10 becomes what it needs to be.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

The number of problems with the SP4 line makes me wonder if there is a general problem with quality control at Microsoft these days.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Are you saying Microsoft should publish literature for the consumer that relates to how AT&T should provision a 950XL?
It isn't my "logic" that concludes that AT&T isn't properly supporting the unbranded IMEI's. It's actually a fact. Temporary, I believe.

I admire your thorough posts and your elegant vocabulary. But stating that my post is "less than relevant" is a bit reaching.

It is really just that the 950xl is dual sim and is not supported with VVM. This is published by Microsoft already.

Draganta

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I feel you bro! I was the biggest WIndows Phone ****** there was, I converted 5 people to WP, but there is a limit to everything. I have switched to Apple a few weeks ago, and I can't explain to you how glad I am. Stuff works for a change now! Facebook app is heavenly!

W8.1 is the best mobile OS available, I think it is far better than iOS or android and a lot of people agree. W8.1 helped the platform grow exactly none at best, so it was not working. I do believe W10 will be the last reboot of mobile, it'll either work or MS will abandon phones.

As a iOS user now I have to agree with you completely. WP is a killer OS, but the issue here is the support and apps :(

bradm77

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I feel you bro! I was the biggest WIndows Phone ****** there was, I converted 5 people to WP, but there is a limit to everything. I have switched to Apple a few weeks ago, and I can't explain to you how glad I am. Stuff works for a change now! Facebook app is heavenly!

As a iOS user now I have to agree with you completely. WP is a killer OS, but the issue here is the support and apps :(

I moved to IOS as well (after years of swearing that I would never, EVER purchase an Apple device). I'd love to come back to MSFT some day, but they have to give people a reason to use their mobile OS, and I don't see any valid reasons right now with these 2 new ugly, clunker phones that they dropped on the market when they clearly are NOT "ready for prime time".

David Laroche

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
Hmmm. Let me start that I have an Lumia 521. It's cheap and I know it, but it does what I need. HOWEVER, no person should have to constantly 'reboot' to clear a bad app. I own an iOS iPad and rarely (I mean rarely) need to shut down and restart to clear a bad app. MS needs to get these issues straight if they plan on putting out good product.

chasvs

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Hi there.

If you've been reading around, you may have realised that not everyone's experience of the 950XL is bad. However, the people who don't like it or are having issues seem to think it's the worst thing that's ever been released by Microsoft.

Facebook is being re-written from the ground up and we're hoping to see something significantly better in the near future. Having said that, I don't really do Facebook as I don't really like seeing what my friends cat has vomited up lately...

Yeah, rebooting phones is a fairly common occurrence to clear blocked processes, especially after an upgrade process, it's not really all that new. As you've mentioned "four releases", you're probably entered yourself into the fast ring, so you need to take a little more rough with your smooth there (being in software development yourself, you know that the first QA builds aren't the best). We're also first adopters of this new wave of hardware/software. You know how that goes as well.

However, in your last statement, you're closer to the truth than you realise. Microsoft did indeed let go of an awful lot of great (ex-Nokia) people in the middle of development for these handsets (950 and 950XL). We're paying the price for that, but given those circumstances, Microsoft has (in my opinion) released an amazing device that will get only better over time (like the Xbox One went from awesome to even more awesome on an almost monthly basis).

But, you're probably right and better off buying an Android or an Apple device. Apparently they're fantastic and never go wrong.

Much better response than I was able to come up with! I agree 100%!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro