Who is in charge of this junk? Seriously!

Status
Not open for further replies.

YKinase

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Here is a new one this morning on the 950.Pushed picture button and photo app came up BUT the iris scanner lamp stayed on. Took pictures and then put phone back to "lock" mode. Lamp stayed on still. Pushed wake/power button and iris lamp shut off and said it could not recognize me. Had to reboot phone to get Hello to work. I was able to replicate this 3 out of 5 times. This 950 is on build .29 and is ATT branded.

Chick or egg here? Meaning, hardware or software? I bet some would argue to return the phone while others will say it is the OS or even the app. See where this is all going?!?!?
Did you launch the camera from a locked phone? This has happened to me and crashes windows hello. Restart fixes it. Seems lime a software bug - needs to recognize not to launch iris scan when quick launching camera from locked phone.

laserfloyd

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm a MS fan through and through but I can't possibly recommend WM10 to anyone. Windows 10? Sure thing. The mobile OS is just a mess. I had it nearly brick my old 920 after it began to overheat randomly and then it got stuck in loop limbo while trying to reset it. I am confident the OS will be good but it should not have shipped in it's current state. I think a year from now we'll all say "remember when this OS was awful?" For now though, we have to live with the awfulness, lol. :/

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
There's two sides, die hard Lumia fans that are so happy about the hardware that they don't care about how buggy the software is at the moment and people who understand that the average consumer would just return the product back because the OS is too buggy.

We should be happy that there are people defending the device since they are the ones that are actually increasing Windows 10's numbers, making the platform more attractive for devs.

New people increase windows 10's numbers not the same folks that have been using it and are loyalist. No company makes it just on these folks its about getting market share you don't get that by turning out half-baked OS and a not really flagship device. Bro you need to read desaideas1 post that is honest from a fan of the windows phone but keeping it real by not acting as if this is a great product. The company does not need folks defending it they are a billion dollar giant what they need is more people tearing at them to get off their buts and put that talent to work that they do have. Simple terms most people can cook however if you taste it its good enough to eat however its not great but they think it is you are the one that would be telling folks its great then they open a restaurant to have it fail because folks defending and lied vs facing the truth. Bad bad analogy I know but you get the gist.

WayCool

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The way some people complain and attack the current state of affairs of windows mobile, it's really best for those to move onto the other platforms as it's not really worth being so angry about this kind of stuff :)

Yup.. if that's the choice.... then bye ! 1.7% trending downward.. at what point do you no longer have an ecosystem/platform? I'm sure all the big social media sites will keep tending to their apps so the 200 people still using their W10M devices have a nice app. NOT.

Careful what you recommend. You may actually get it. ;) beside someone forks out $800 for a device.. and get's junk is likely to be a bit angry. J'sayn...

And just to be clear... Terry Myerson is in charge of W10M not Satya. The buck may stop at Satya.. but the "R" is with Terry !

Good luck to y'all. Guess I'll go look for an iPhone on fleabay cause there's nothing to see here.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Yup.. if that's the choice.... then bye ! 1.7% trending downward.. at what point do you no longer have an ecosystem/platform? I'm sure all the big social media sites will keep tending to their apps so the 200 people still using their W10M devices have a nice app. NOT.

hehe but MS is not counting like that anymore, they are counting their over 200million win 10 devices (without breakdown :) cause w10 is pretty much the same thing.

I demo'd my continuum doc for the first time while first time opening the free dock I got. After firmware update of the dock, everything just worked during the demo! Edge is nicer on continuum than mobile it seems. Actually email is better on continuum than mobile. Kinda weird and definitely annoying, but not angry :). I bought this thing while accepting the fact it was going to go a few iterations of updates before getting really better. I even figure it will never be perfect until the unicorn phone in late 2016. Either way, I use the 950xl heavily as my only phone device and it's been decent enough for me.

meagain1

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
"Somebody" heard our opinions!
Microsoft stopped selling 950XL and no ETA!
This is an answer from all MS stores, including on-line, by phone or chat.

I hope, they will start sail after solving all problems what we complained about.
But I'm skeptical about "fixing all problems"...

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
The biggest thing that ticks me off about this garbage is the button placement. What ergonomic genius though it was a good idea to put the wake/power button in between the volume buttons? Why depart from the layout on the 950? I can't tell you how many times I push the wrong buttons and it has gotten to a point where I am simply just fed up.

I am not going to talk about other things, I just want to explain you that... you can take screenshots now with only one finger, you go from power to volumes in a second, you have them on your reach if needed. maybe it doesn't sound obvious to you, but try to take a screenshot on other Windows Phone with one finger? you cant.
You never thought about it? maybe for you it's bad placement but those things you just get used to.

I mean taking a screenshot with one finger is faster than moving your fingers and hand or using both hands. maybe for you is not critical but as you can see, there is a reason why powerbutton is in the middle. you always start by pressing the power button on 950 anyway.

Anyway your other words are just your opinion, and some can be improved with updates and all. but I wanted to comment just no that power button issue., maybe you already got used to it? maybe you already sold your 950, but I wanted to explain you a logical thing about it. you only need to get used it to it, like you get used to many things when you are in a new place, new house, new bathroom, new door, new anything can have different layouts and configurations, it doesn't mean it's bad.

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I am not going to talk about other things, I just want to explain you that... you can take screenshots now with only one finger, you go from power to volumes in a second, you have them on your reach if needed. maybe it doesn't sound obvious to you, but try to take a screenshot on other Windows Phone with one finger? you cant.
You never thought about it? maybe for you it's bad placement but those things you just get used to.

I mean taking a screenshot with one finger is faster than moving your fingers and hand or using both hands. maybe for you is not critical but as you can see, there is a reason why powerbutton is in the middle. you always start by pressing the power button on 950 anyway.

Anyway your other words are just your opinion, and some can be improved with updates and all. but I wanted to comment just no that power button issue., maybe you already got used to it? maybe you already sold your 950, but I wanted to explain you a logical thing about it. you only need to get used it to it, like you get used to many things when you are in a new place, new house, new bathroom, new door, new anything can have different layouts and configurations, it doesn't mean it's bad.

There are more good reasons for prefer the XL buttons arrangement, but hey, it looks that it is cool to say XL Sucks because "reasons". For one hand usage, the 950 arrangement is a bad idea for XL, also, the new volume key position allow more space between camera key and power key, no more pressing buttons for mistake.

This thread has stopped to be funny to become something weird.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
There are more good reasons for prefer the XL buttons arrangement, but hey, it looks that it is cool to say XL Sucks because "reasons". For one hand usage, the 950 arrangement is a bad idea for XL, also, the new volume key position allow more space between camera key and power key, no more pressing buttons for mistake.

This thread has stopped to be funny to become something weird.

The power button in the middle is not inherently bad. At least a couple of other manufacturers do this, but it is on the back of the phone in the instances I know. This seems weird, but it is even easier to use and you don't accidentally push the buttons when holding the phone. That said, I think the 950xl buttons still don't make sense to me.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
The power button in the middle is not inherently bad. At least a couple of other manufacturers do this, but it is on the back of the phone in the instances I know. This seems weird, but it is even easier to use and you don't accidentally push the buttons when holding the phone. That said, I think the 950xl buttons still don't make sense to me.

It is because the phone size, have you used the Lumia 1520? It is huge and it is hard to use with a hand. If it don't make sense to you probably it is because you haven't owned a big phone (phablet).

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
It is because the phone size, have you used the Lumia 1520? It is huge and it is hard to use with a hand. If it don't make sense to you probably it is because you haven't owned a big phone (phablet).

Thank you for the information. I have owned the 1520 and 950xl. The button placement on the side of the phone is worse than on the back of the phone. The way it is set on LG phone with the power button in the middle makes perfect sense. I still have to stretch my hand to use the buttons. They are too high up the side. When I hold my phone naturally, it is with my left or right hand. My index finger rests on the back. My thumb sits at about midway up the side. My middle finger sits just below half way.

In true one handed use I rest all of my fingers of my right hand on the back except my small finger which sits under the phone so I can move my thumb easily... In which case I can't use any of the buttons.

Please don't tell me I'm holding it wrong either. I know you don't like my opinion and it may work for you which is great.

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for the information. I have owned the 1520 and 950xl. The button placement on the side of the phone is worse than on the back of the phone. The way it is set on LG phone with the power button in the middle makes perfect sense. I still have to stretch my hand to use the buttons. They are too high up the side. When I hold my phone naturally, it is with my left or right hand. My index finger rests on the back. My thumb sits at about midway up the side. My middle finger sits just below half way.

In true one handed use I rest all of my fingers of my right hand on the back except my small finger which sits under the phone so I can move my thumb easily... In which case I can't use any of the buttons.

Please don't tell me I'm holding it wrong either. I know you don't like my opinion and it may work for you which is great.

Can you elaborate how a phone with a back cover like the one on Lumia 950 XL can implement buttons on back?

I guess your hand is small because I don't need to stretch my hand to use the buttons at all, and my hand is not huge or even too big.

Martin Zone

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
Whoops, on Amazon UK the 950XL is under review as well...
Although I bought mine from there and have been pleasantly surprised.
The device is fantastic and no issues at all so far, even the cover does not make sounds :). From the box, put the SIM in it, went through updates painlessly (firmware and .29 OS) and just works as it should.
It was pricey, I said what the heck, always can return it, but now, every day passes, and I'm still waiting for the usual buyers remorse, the experience just going opposite.
Mine came out of the factory in Vietnam 14.12.2015, maybe later builds are better?
Only issue are the apps, not that something essential is missing, but only in visual aspect, as most of them are still of old type with big headings and scaling problems that is in general not pleasantly looking and without utilization of big display space on high resolution devices.
And I really think, Michael Fisher from PocketNow got a lemon or was doing the review before the last official updates. Maybe he should revisit it. As for the name of this topic no comment.

revolvet

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Just request for return of my 950 XL:
- no update available (still .0)
- many negative feedback from users
- retailers stop selling

There's no serious issue with my phone anyway. I'm just worried that there might be some undiscovered issues in my phone. I should return it before it's too late. I love Windows Phone and Lumia line, but I have to use my money efficiently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05