Who is in charge of this junk? Seriously!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
And I really think, Michael Fisher from PocketNow got a lemon or was doing the review before the last official updates. Maybe he should revisit it. As for the name of this topic no comment.

Or he got one that has the issues retailers are halting sales about..
Don't look now but France has followed suit and stopped sales..

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Can you elaborate how a phone with a back cover like the one on Lumia 950 XL can implement buttons on back?

I guess your hand is small because I don't need to stretch my hand to use the buttons at all, and my hand is not huge or even too big.

Science! Both the LG G4 or LG V10 have a removable back cover or buttons on the back. If you like you can google or bing those devices at your leisure. I wear a size 7.5 glove which is average to above average for a man.

Martin Zone

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
What's the real reason behind those Amazon's "reviews" we can only speculate about. Amazon Germany had the same for few days but after that all normal..
Maybe really some batches (have) had the quality control problems and the initial firmware was not refined enough, but for now, my opinion is if we see updates even only reflecting the UIs on existing apps in the next months, this phones will be success.
From the hardware side they are great.

keithhackneysmullet

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
Pete,

You have proved my points which is, the phone(s) in its current state is a beta device, not a commercial device. I paid for a commercial device that I did not have to babysit. I am on the insider ring and decided only after so many issues to take the plunge and go fast ring. So far, not much has changed from .0

You write as if starting the Facebook app from the ground floor up is some monumental task and the reality is, it isn't. The basics don't even work which means sloppy code and or poor project planning. It is astonishing to use the mobile web browser version and actually see how much this poor Microsoft app is missing.

Thanks for you keen grasp on reading my friend. I never said anything about going to Android or Apple. I am simply stepping back to my 1520 which is stable and for all intents and purposes, much better than the current state of the XL.

I still can't wrap my head around the removable battery for this device given it has a stellar quick charge capability. Prying these phones open is risky business since you will have no case to protect it when you are almost guaranteed to drop it at least once while removing the cover at some point.

It is a shame that Microsoft did not have the ability to keep the Nokia talent because this device would have never launched the way it did.

Oh, rebooting phones? I have a Moto X gen 2 running latest Android and I never have had reboot out of no where. Certainly not 2 or 3 times per day either.

Well the Facebook app on every platform is a steaming pile of crap.

What is so hard to understand about wanting or needing the ability to go from 0-100% battery in 5 seconds instead of waiting an hour being tied to a wall or strapped to portable charger

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Why all the negativity? Facebook isn't even the terrible things you say on Windows Phone. It is just not very good at all compared to the other platforms. I really didn't believe how much worse until I really tried it. I just assumed that a lot of the problems with it were universal.

Josh Harman

Banned
Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Why all the negativity? Facebook isn't even the terrible things you say on Windows Phone. It is just not very good at all compared to the other platforms. I really didn't believe how much worse until I really tried it. I just assumed that a lot of the problems with it were universal.

I think the app works fine and just like it does on my iPhone... the difference is features, many details are missing in the W10m version.

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Just request for return of my 950 XL:
- no update available (still .0)
- many negative feedback from users
- retailers stop selling

There's no serious issue with my phone anyway. I'm just worried that there might be some undiscovered issues in my phone. I should return it before it's too late. I love Windows Phone and Lumia line, but I have to use my money efficiently.

Lol... Are you kidding? Stop that bs, if your device is working fine then it is fine, that's all.

refishafi

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately, despite being a win phone fan, I have been and am unable to recommend the 950xl to anyone - there are just too many problems with it. I am on my second 950xl after the first one heated up crazily and bricked it. The second one, even with the latest updates suffers from freezing (especially when connected with bluetooth), random reboots, cortana is slower to respond than on 8.1 and randomly comes on, edge is not a nice experience overall, notifications don't work well even on native apps... list is quite long. It is, quite frankly, shocking that MS would release such an unfinished OS to market.

kjmcintosh

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I am the same, I would not recommend the phone to anyone. I never though that windows fans would turn out to be as blinded as Apple Fans.
I don't care what people say about early adopters or this is a phone for fans that is just BS. If that was true, you should have to give them your windows ID to buy one then they can decide if you are gullible enough to buy one. I find it shocking that someone can go in to a shop and buy one of these as they are not fit for sale yet. Like the xbox one 10 steps back, only now has the xbox one achieved parity with the 360. That is just the MS way. They take a good product and break it.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I have the 950. I've seen the 950XL at my desk colleague, he bought it from a retail store. We both think of returning the phones. Despite the nice they are and the outstanding camera, the OS is a complete wreck! If we could flash a WP 8.1 image on these two, it would be perfect, but we cannot. Honestly, I haven't seen a more buggy OS in my entire life. I do regret badly spending my money on the 950 because of the horrible operating system it has. Too bad the phone is nice, good specs,great camera, feels great in your hand...
Maybe in the next months things will change with Win10 Mobile, but I do not know if I can trust MS anymore...:(

laserfloyd

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
I just hope that by this fall this is all sorted. I'll be looking for a replacement to the 1020 at that point. I know they CAN make a solid device with a solid OS. I just wish I knew why they rushed this one out. I'd have made the 950 a smokin' WP8.1 device that would get the 10 upgrade when it was ready. I'd even ponder a 950 IF it could run WP8.1. Meh, we'll see.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
I just hope that by this fall this is all sorted. I'll be looking for a replacement to the 1020 at that point. I know they CAN make a solid device with a solid OS. I just wish I knew why they rushed this one out. I'd have made the 950 a smokin' WP8.1 device that would get the 10 upgrade when it was ready. I'd even ponder a 950 IF it could run WP8.1. Meh, we'll see.

I agree. I'm a WP lover and actually pre-ordered the 950XL twice.. Size of the XL is perfect, the design was good other then crappy cheap back, button arrangement and possibly choice of Processor... But either testing was slipshot or they just pushed it out the door before it was done in either case they really screwed up.. I'll stick with my 1520 on 8.1 until both W10 is truly ready for prime time AND the 950 XL is corrected.. Or just wait for the Surface Phone..
PS; please no one say you can just buy a $50 Mozo back cover to make it look and feel premium, for $650+tax it should already have a premium back cover, it's their "Flagship" phone!!!

jmf54321

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
Gary you are very correct.

Not only do I think this phone and OS are junk, I also made the mistake of getting a Book and boy let me tell you.

MS's dream of a seamless integrated OS is not going to happen in Win10 or Win11 (once Satya gets canned and WaaS is no longer).

My phone isnt a recognized device on my Book even though it has been.

My phone doesnt sync any longer with even say favorites from Book to phone.

My book overheats playing Mahjong, fan kicks in and it becomes very toasty. You're telling me an SSD with 16GB cant play a simple game without getting hot? PFFT

You cant do dual screen off the dock or even connect to a monitor without having to reboot. Oh and nice of MS to tell anyone that to properly scale off the dock you have to have monitors that will at LEAST do native 1900 x 1280.

Here's an easy one, open two windows and try to do show side by side.......hahahaha, doesn't work does it?

WIFI on my 950 is total garbage after the .29 upgrade. Now I have to reboot it to join WIFI again, toggling doesn't even work. Didnt have an issue prior to that, yet my Book is ok with WIFI......seamless OS how again?

So for those of you on here talking about beta and bleeding edge blah blah blah. I was smart enough to wait for Band2 since I knew Band1 would be carp given it was MS's first attempt at making something. We are now on phone version what? Surface version 4. Face it MS has failed miserably not only on trying to put GPU's into tablets and firing all those that could have made this phone better (I wont say great because lest face it IOS and Android dont launch great, they launch ok). They dropped the ball on many fronts. So no I dont feel unjustified saying that MS stinks right now. Clearly you've never had to deal with a SCRUM / Agile PM nagging and making you retest OR a C level executive mad cause his Book keeps dropping WIFI. I'm not going to defend a company that clearly only test in a little bubble. Real world test for Petes sake....or Satyas....

Last edited by a moderator:

rromerof

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Background: Developer, electronics engineer. All in as far as Microsoft goes.

From the 920, to the 1520 and now this heaping pile, I can't believe the 2 steps back attitude someone at Microsoft has. Yes, I have many of the issues posted here and before any of you hardware engineers say it is a faulty device and swap it out, chill. If all of these issues are truly hardware defects, then this is one of the worst deliveries of defective goods ever!

Thats why having in front on my a Lumia 950 and an iPhone 6s, I chose the second one. There's a lot of bad reviews, the one that made me decide as I did, was the one of Michael Fisher: NOPE! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMNgfEVk8oo

I still can't believe people have to revert to hard resets to address battery drain, etc. I can't think of one time I have had to do this on any other platform.

I can't see me doing that. It is a obvious shame (Are Microsoft developers all amateurs? Give me a job, I want to earn money doing crap/nothing).

The biggest thing that ticks me off about this garbage is the button placement. What ergonomic genius though it was a good idea to put the wake/power button in between the volume buttons? Why depart from the layout on the 950? I can't tell you how many times I push the wrong buttons and it has gotten to a point where I am simply just fed up.

Designers doing crap.

The OS is buggy. I still can't go directly to SMS messages from the lock screen, rather I have to stare at a black screen, press the back button then launch the message app. It's been this way for 4 releases now!

I've given up to this OS. Windows 10 Mobile compared to Windows Phone 8/8.1 is... crap. Again, amateur developers.

Random reboots, camera saving wonkiness, and what in the hell is this Facebook app? It is the worst app ever! Is there anyone at Microsoft in the QA department?

I never knew how to stop some annoying notifications coming from the Facebook app. The camera app become laggy after a while.

Let's talk about bluetooth streaming. Sometimes it is flawless then out of the blue audio will stutter like a CD is scratched. Hey Microsoft, it's ok to let your testers go to the parking lot to test this stuff out in real cars with real interference, etc.!!

I have the same issue, streaming from internet sources (Spotify, Youtube, etc) results in stuttering. So annoying. I can't even listen to a Youtube video with continuous sound.

For $800, I expected a flagship phone and what I believe we all got is something in the 1/3 range. Yes, many of you don't have any problems at all *cough* and will want to tell me my hardware is bad but I know it isn't. About the only cool thing is Continuum and even then, getting the WiDi working was even a trick.

There is a lot of complains about this device. I better didn't risk my money buying this device/crap (The design is horrible).

SMH. Shame Microsoft shame! Whoever you are paying to QA and lead on this should be fired, seriously. Hire someone who cares!

Not even Satya cares, as he stated, with 1.7% of market share, Windows 10 Mobile is unsustainable.

rromerof

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Being an early adopter is different to being a "beta tester". The same thing happens for many products when they first go to market.

So according to your thought, it is normal to pay for an expensive device expecting to fail if I am an early adopter. Sorry but this is unprofessional.

rromerof

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Gary here is my advise.... Take back the phone and go get whatever "Works" for you. We get it... your not happy with it. Obviously you never bought a phone before that just came out with a new type of hardware and software. I was there at the starting of Android, trust me they had worse problems. I know what I am getting myself into.... it's called the forefront of new technology, and I am expecting to have problems, A lot matter of fact. It is something I am willing to deal with.I am sorry it isn't what you expected, but those of us who are making the switch from Android to WP10, we know what we are getting ourselves into, and we know that patience is virtue.

I Disagree. Before these new devices I have bought Lumia 710, 800, 920, 1020, 630 & 640XL and those devices worked flawlessly (thanks Nokia). Microsoft are only doing crap.

Josh Harman

Banned
Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I Disagree. Before these new devices I have bought Lumia 710, 800, 920, 1020, 630 & 640XL and those devices worked flawlessly (thanks Nokia). Microsoft are only doing crap.

My NOKIA Lumia 830 was the worst phone I've ever owned, and I went through 4 of them.

Last edited:

mikewarner

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I completely agree with your comments and have also experienced all of your issues and some more after only six days with a brand new 950. I've been with Windows phones for a long time, just upgraded from a Lumia 920 with 8.1 and will likely be with them for a longer. My experience of W10M on a well specced 950 has shocked me. The problems, issues, poor overall app design and regular/irregular reboots just shows the lack developer experience, QA and management in this whole process. I couldn't recommend this OS to friends but I'll continue to work through it because I'd like it to succeed. Paying ?450 for the privilege is taking this a stage too far though.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I am having my 950 for two weeks now. Although I have had only two reboots because of the buggy Edge browser, other issues were not present on my unit. However, I completely agree that Windows 10 Mobile is a nightmare. Wifi performance on this phone is horrible; I have not had any of the specified wifi issues, but the speed is weak compared to an iphone and an ipad on the same network. 4G connectivity seems ok though.
Apps lag, most of them, the design of the OS looks mixed up and unfinished, the horrible People app with the circle template for Contacts profile photos, and not the least the trouble I've been through because of Microsoft's incompetent Financial Team that is not able to bill in the correct currency when paying using Mobile Operator!
Thanks Satya for your stupid cost reduction policy that made your products lose quality. I have never seen a worst product launch in my entire life such as these this year. Nice and very good spec. phone launched with a buggy beta OS!
I will return the 950 because I can use the money on something else, on another phone that is not a beta product with it's OS. I cannot wait forever for MS to get it's minds together and deliver a good OS.
Satya should know that MS is not an Indian company that needed a cost reduction...I can understand much smaller companies from low markets such as India, Romania like where I live and other Eastern Europe to have such cost reduction policies, but I will never understand MS, they did not need such a thing, it brought more bad rep than good things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb