Who is in charge of this junk? Seriously!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
You apparently don't comprehend how MNCs work.

Well, I actually do. If you think that Satya made a good call ditching a lot of engineers, fine by me, it's your opinion, but look at the results. Quality is almost ZERO, nada, niet, NULL...And excuse me, if MS needed such cost reductions...let's be serious, at least if you as a company want to do such an idiotic thing, think what you lay off, but this CEO seems to have a logic similar to a shrimp.

Last edited:

Matteo Luigi Riso

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
My 2 cents.

I bought my Lumia 950 XL at a local phone company store (Wind Italia). My device came froma Vietnam factory too and I can't notice any quality issue at all.
I'm using Windows 10 Mobile 10586.36 right now (I'm an Insider) and I can notice many improvements since build .29, specially in terms of battery drain.
I bought this Lumia after 5 years on Android. My first Android was a Galaxy S (i9000) then it came a Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet, a Galaxy S4, a Galaxy ACE for my wife, a Galaxy Tab S 10.5, and I suggested Android devices to almost all of my friends.
Then I thought that the latest Android releases were not satisfying me. I compared the Lumia 640 XL my wife got from her office and I compared to my Galaxy S4 (updated to Android 6.0.1 via a custom ROM). The Lumia buidling quality is superlative and the software pack had nothing less than Android. I also installed Windows 10 Mobile on her device and loved it since the first reboot. What a great OS it is!
Now I have a device that lasts all day and I don't have to worry about drains each time I unlock its screen.

I'm satisfied about the Lumia 950 XL and that's enough.

Cheers :)

anon(9739099)

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Well, I actually do.
Makes me doubt it. MNCs generally have multiple internal divisions which are judged on their own merits, profits being one of them. Satya let go of the erstwhile Nokia team who were predominantly Hardware engineers. He did this because this division was not making MSFT any money. And you claims that the Windows 10 Mobile sucks because there are no hardware engineers from Nokia doesn't hold water.
And what is up with your only Indian companies should lay off people idea? American companies lay off people including engineers all the time if they are not profitable. If Satya had logic of a shrimp would he be running a Billion dollar business? It is easy being a keyboard warrior, running a company is way different

Renan Gallardo

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Well, here's my personal experience. This is a concern from a Day 1 user of Windows Phone and had the opportunity to own a device or two of every iteration.

1. The first and one and only stock they had. Scratches on the screen
  2. Replacement. Scratches underneath the screen. It can only be seen with a LED flashlight directly on the screen and at an angle.
  3. Possible replacement. Store stock. Same issue as #2
  4. Possible replacement. Store stock. Very very rough LCD frame
  5. Replacement. A crescent shape appears at the right side of the earpiece if the screen is dirty. Can be seen with/without a flashlight. Goes away when cleaned.
  6. Possible replacement. Store stock. Way off-center back camera. The Microsoft logo at the front looks like those glossy embossed stickers.
  7. Possible replacement. Store stock. Same issue as #2

Not to mention how off-center the focus of the front cam is and how all of the screens has this (the best way I could describe it) rainbow like effect that looks similar to oil on the road.

Seven consecutive units in total that has quality issues. Now I'm told that there are no deliveries incoming this week. I haven't been able to use the device for more than a week for both replacements. Users from the Philippines would know how hard warranties are here. Lumia Philippines wasn't able to help. Tried to get the attention of Nadella, main MS, and MS PH accounts on Twitter and all I get are crickets. Lumia Helps was no help as well. I'm beginning to think quality issues were the real reason the device is being pulled out overseas and not due to stocks.

All our local Lumia division and Lumia Helps could do was to refer me back to the retail store and reply with a generic canned response. Shows how much Satya and Microsoft values their "fans". I've seen comments trying to defend Microsoft saying that they listen. If they really do, then we'd actually see or even feel it.

Not everyone may be experiencing software issues. But at this point, I won't be surprised if every single device in the 950 XL line has quality issues with the screen.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
One less Lumia on my family plan, got her iPhone 6S Plus. What a smooth device and OS works flawlessly

No wonder they own the flagship market

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
One less Lumia on my family plan, got her iPhone 6S Plus. What a smooth device and OS works flawlessly

No wonder they own the flagship market

Good for you. My brief stint with iPhone was quite the opposite.
While it operated smoothly using it was quite frustrating.

Navigation, OS layout, and general usage patterns were quite antiquated compared to Windows Mobile and Android.
Email client was terrible and the lack of customization in the entire OS was annoying.

I guess its fine for someone who just wants to use a phone like a zombie.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Good for you. My brief stint with iPhone was quite the opposite.
While it operated smoothly using it was quite frustrating.

Navigation, OS layout, and general usage patterns were quite antiquated compared to Windows Mobile and Android.
Email client was terrible and the lack of customization in the entire OS was annoying.

I guess its fine for someone who just wants to use a phone like a zombie.

Or maybe use a phone that actually works, so say the other 98.3% of users...

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Well, here's my personal experience. This is a concern from a Day 1 user of Windows Phone and had the opportunity to own a device or two of every iteration.

1. The first and one and only stock they had. Scratches on the screen
  2. Replacement. Scratches underneath the screen. It can only be seen with a LED flashlight directly on the screen and at an angle.
  3. Possible replacement. Store stock. Same issue as #2
  4. Possible replacement. Store stock. Very very rough LCD frame
  5. Replacement. A crescent shape appears at the right side of the earpiece if the screen is dirty. Can be seen with/without a flashlight. Goes away when cleaned.
  6. Possible replacement. Store stock. Way off-center back camera. The Microsoft logo at the front looks like those glossy embossed stickers.
  7. Possible replacement. Store stock. Same issue as #2

Not to mention how off-center the focus of the front cam is and how all of the screens has this (the best way I could describe it) rainbow like effect that looks similar to oil on the road.

Seven consecutive units in total that has quality issues. Now I'm told that there are no deliveries incoming this week. I haven't been able to use the device for more than a week for both replacements. Users from the Philippines would know how hard warranties are here. Lumia Philippines wasn't able to help. Tried to get the attention of Nadella, main MS, and MS PH accounts on Twitter and all I get are crickets. Lumia Helps was no help as well. I'm beginning to think quality issues were the real reason the device is being pulled out overseas and not due to stocks.

All our local Lumia division and Lumia Helps could do was to refer me back to the retail store and reply with a generic canned response. Shows how much Satya and Microsoft values their "fans". I've seen comments trying to defend Microsoft saying that they listen. If they really do, then we'd actually see or even feel it.

Not everyone may be experiencing software issues. But at this point, I won't be surprised if every single device in the 950 XL line has quality issues with the screen.

GIMME a break! first off who in their right minds, takes an LED flashlight to their phone screen? of course your going to see every little blemish the screen has and probably be exaggerated by the intense light AND reflections! you would never look at a phone screen like that EVER in real life situations! which I'm SURE would look perfectly under NORMAL LIGHTING CONDITIONS! sorry but all you have described sounds of delusions and OCD problems of some sort! your just LOOKING for sh!t just to find what ever you can...

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The company I work for paid handsomely for a Harvard Case study to be presented to the senior leadership team. Long story short, it was about how it is important for a company to identify and define who is NOT their customer.

Not everyone who pukes on Microsoft qualifies, of course. But there are obviously many that Microsoft actually benefits from not having the burden of supporting, if you know what I mean.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
My phone works, always has.

To assume something is broken for everyone because you cannot use it is pretty shallow thinking.

You know you called that guy a zombie for no reason. That may be why he responded the way he did.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Belushi Schweeft

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I got shot down on Disqus for saying pretty much what you've said. It's frustrating given my past experience with the 920 and then 1520, both of which were perfect.

However, the Facebook app...well it's diabolical, no other word for it.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
New build .63 sux so bad. Endless resuming and loading. Slowest yet on 1520. Gabe an crew musta been asleep on this one....my eternal hope is entering reality.

Renan Gallardo

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
GIMME a break! first off who in their right minds, takes an LED flashlight to their phone screen? of course your going to see every little blemish the screen has and probably be exaggerated by the intense light AND reflections! you would never look at a phone screen like that EVER in real life situations! which I'm SURE would look perfectly under NORMAL LIGHTING CONDITIONS! sorry but all you have described sounds of delusions and OCD problems of some sort! your just LOOKING for sh!t just to find what ever you can...

Someone who actually gives a damn about the money spent on what he purchases. Someone who has experienced factory defects and quality issues with different devices before wherein they could only be seen with a certain light.

Just so you know, if there is no problem with the display, it wouldn't show up even if a flashlight is directed at the screen, or under yellow lighting.

In real life situations, devices are used in variety of lighting conditions. "Normal" lighting conditions is subjective to what lighting is available. If I live in an area dominated by yellow lights then that's a "Normal" lighting condition. Most display issues could only be seen under yellow light. You know those scratch tests done on screens? Notice how they never use a yellow light or even an LED flashlight? That's right, that's because you would then see that it did leave a scratch on the screen.

I tried to look for quality issues and you were right, I did find crap. The quality of the phone. If you even bothered to read the whole post then you'd know I've been with the platform for God knows how long. Would you really feel good being sold a crappy product just so they could have more funds for their R&D for the other platforms? I have a crappy $100 Android phone here, and the quality is even better than of the 950 XL. No quality issues with the screen even if I had this longer and didn't actually bother taking care of it properly. Just shows how much Microsoft gives a damn about their users. If you're happy with whatever mediocre device Microsoft releases, then go ahead.

I want to get what I'm paying for. If I'm being charged premium then I sure as hell want to receive a premium product, especially since you need to pay full-price for most devices here.

Here, I've included pictures of Device # 5 with a LED flashlight directed at the screen, just so you could see that if there's no issues then there are no blemishes. Unlike what you're trying to claim. But, since there was an issue with the screen, I did include that one as well.

Crescent 2.jpgCrescent.jpg

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
buddy I'm not going to argue with someone who's overboard with his demands for "perfection" for a premium device and starts looking it over with all sorts of led lights and magnifying glasses or WHATEVER you wanna do that helps you feel justified and sleep better at night... point is your going over board with YOUR QC... I've bought more expensive devices and never went over board demanding "perfection" of course any normal persons wouldn't accept bad and OBVIOUS defects... anyways this is the last I reply to this and not going to get into a tennis match with you over this... good luck to you.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Someone who actually gives a damn about the money spent on what he purchases. Someone who has experienced factory defects and quality issues with different devices before wherein they could only be seen with a certain light.

Just so you know, if there is no problem with the display, it wouldn't show up even if a flashlight is directed at the screen, or under yellow lighting.

In real life situations, devices are used in variety of lighting conditions. "Normal" lighting conditions is subjective to what lighting is available. If I live in an area dominated by yellow lights then that's a "Normal" lighting condition. Most display issues could only be seen under yellow light. You know those scratch tests done on screens? Notice how they never use a yellow light or even an LED flashlight? That's right, that's because you would then see that it did leave a scratch on the screen.

I tried to look for quality issues and you were right, I did find crap. The quality of the phone. If you even bothered to read the whole post then you'd know I've been with the platform for God knows how long. Would you really feel good being sold a crappy product just so they could have more funds for their R&D for the other platforms? I have a crappy $100 Android phone here, and the quality is even better than of the 950 XL. No quality issues with the screen even if I had this longer and didn't actually bother taking care of it properly. Just shows how much Microsoft gives a damn about their users. If you're happy with whatever mediocre device Microsoft releases, then go ahead.

I want to get what I'm paying for. If I'm being charged premium then I sure as hell want to receive a premium product, especially since you need to pay full-price for most devices here.

Here, I've included pictures of Device # 5 with a LED flashlight directed at the screen, just so you could see that if there's no issues then there are no blemishes. Unlike what you're trying to claim. But, since there was an issue with the screen, I did include that one as well.

View attachment 120225View attachment 120226

You are right. Unfortunately MS put out these weak 950s as flagships and as noted up and down in this thread, they stink and are just placeholders until Panos' Surface Phone is released. That coupled with the half baked garbage that is W10 Mobile has the base (all 1.7%) upset and the reviewer community slamming MS.
Androiders or iOSers in any significant numbers would never switch for a 950 or crappy W10M, undeniable

garyhartaz

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Loaded on my 950 unlocked and 925. No problems in either phone. I sometimes wonder if people just don't have a clue!

Well on my 950XL, .63 is killing my battery! I have soft-reset the phone a few times and I can watch it drop a percentage every few minutes. Now I have to go app by app, setting by setting to figure this out. It amazes me how battery issues flip-flop with builds. One thing that might set my experience apart is that I have a MS Band 2. I believe that is finally getting alerts, messages, etc. in real-time but at what cost to the battery on the XL now? This is my suspicion since the change log really doesn't point to any other battery demanding item/app/device.:unhappy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett